Rise of the Welsh Dragon - A Swansea City story

Levo

Reaction score
_44286452_bbc_sport_logo_203.gif

rodgers-dalglish1.jpg

Rodgers named new Kop boss​

Liverpool have agreed a compensation deal with Premier League rivals Swansea for manager Brendan Rodgers.

The 39-year-old is expected to sign a three-year contract to become Liverpool boss and his appointment is likely to be confirmed within 24 hours.

Swansea first-team coach Colin Pascoe, match-analyst Chris Davies and conditioning expert Glen Driscoll will move with Rodgers to Anfield.

Swansea said they had agreed "suitable compensation" for the quartet.

A statement on Swansea's
official website on Thursday said: "We can today confirm that a compensation package with Liverpool has been agreed for manager Brendan Rodgers and three members of his backroom staff.

"The club now starts its search for Brendan's successor. That involves looking at a number of chosen candidates who are well suited to provide Swansea City with continuity which we feel is paramount to our ongoing development as a Premier League club."

Interesting start, but I think you're going to get the job! :p

images

NeilTaylor_2679537.jpg

Swans want new boss in Rodgers mould

Neil Taylor is confident Swansea City will appoint a new manager in the mould of the departing Brendan Rodgers.

The Swans have begun their search for a successor to Rodgers who is expected to be unveiled as the new Liverpool boss.

Unemployed manager Chris Levitt is the current bookmakers' favourite to take over from Rodgers.

Full-back Taylor is confident Swansea will find the right man with the right philosophy: "I think we will be fine in getting that sort of manager."

Chairman Huw Jenkins has already claimed that the search for Rodgers' successor has begun.

“We don't want to be on a downhill slide from now onwards. That is at the forefront of the players minds at the moment and whether we can get the right manager in”

"It's not what is needed but what will happen," said Taylor.

"Huw has said it for the last five or six years. We had Roberto Martinez, Paulo Sousa and Brendan adding the ingredients we needed to move to the next level.

"He [Jenkins] will look for a similar sort of manager, he knows what works and it's what he likes to watch and what the fans want to watch.

"I think we will be fine in getting that sort of manager."

Brighton boss Gus Poyet, Blackpool's Ian Holloway, Birmingham's Chris Hughton and former Denmark international Michael Laudrup have all been linked with the vacancy at the Liberty Stadium

0,,10412~10812112,00.jpg

Dammit thought it was a story about a team in the Welsh league haha, still gonna follow though!

images

Liberty_stadium_swansea.jpg

Chris Levitt named new Swansea City manager

Chris Levitt has been appointed the new Swansea City manager on a two-year contract.

The former West Ham player takes over from new Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers.

Levitt, who has no previous managerial experience is Swansea's third manager in the past four years.

"I've spoken to the chairman and I'm very pleased to sign for Swansea City," he was quoted on the club's website.

"It's going to be a new experience for me and I'm really looking forward to it."

Swansea, who finished 11th in their debut Premier League season, have been without a manager since
Rodgers accepted the Liverpool vacancy in May.

Jenkins said Levitt has a "clear picture" of the club's needs and aspirations as they aim to build on last season's success.

"I'm confident that Chris will prove a fantastic acquisition that will help keep this football club moving forward.''

Swansea chairman Jenkins
has a reputation for appointing and developing young managers who share his football philosophy to ensure squad stability.

The subsequent departures of
Martinez to Wigan,Paulo Sousa to Leicester and Rodgers to Liverpool have earned Swansea almost £10m in total compensation.

images

Levitt outlined his vision for the club in a further statement given exclusively to swanseacity.net

He placed emphasis on being sensible in the transfer market, and continuing to field a team with the focus on an attacking, passing game

"It is so important for the country of Wales to have a team in the top flight so our ambition is to firmly establish ourselves at the top table and to entertain as we go along"

Levitt also discussed how he hoped success with The Swans could help the fortunes of the Welsh national team

"I think it's about time Wales started qualifying for tournaments. I have a vision that we can nurture enough talent through our Academy to fill the National side and start making those big events. Maybe Brazil 2014 is too soon but with Euro 2016 having 24 teams, I would love to see a Welsh side there brimming with Swansea lads"

images

owen.jpg

Swans reveal interest in England duo

New Swansea manager Chris Levitt has confirmed contact has been made with England internationals Michael Owen and Owen Hargreaves about joining the Welsh club on trial over pre-season

Owen is a free agent following his release by Manchester United, whilst Hargreaves left Champions Manchester City after another injury-plagued season

Levitt confirmed he would like to invite the former Liverpool, Real Madrid and Newcastle striker to train with his side as he looks for cover for first-choice striker Danny Graham.

'Up front is somewhere Swansea need to look to strengthen,' Levitt told talkSPORT. 'If Graham got injured we would be really light up top for a goalscorer.

'Danny had a fantastic first season in the top flight, but we need back-up and that is why the name of Michael Owen has come up in conversations.'​

images

Owen dismisses move to Swansea

England international and current free agent Michael Owen has revealed he has turned down the chance to join Swansea City on trial

"At this stage of my career I am not looking for clubs to take me on trial. People know exactly what I can offer" the former Manchester United striker wrote on Twitter.

"Not being disrespectful, but I can still bang them in at the top level. I proved that nearly every time I played for Manchester United, still got a few years in me."

With his track record at the top level, it’s a major surprise that only Swansea City have been linked with a move for Owen so far this summer following his release from Old Trafford.

The forward’s career began with a bang at Liverpool, scoring on debut against Wimbledon at the end of the 1996/97 Premier League season.

Owen would go on to become an Anfield idol, scoring 158 goals in all competitions before his exit in 2004. In that time, Owen helped the Reds to a famous cup treble, notching a vital brace in the 2-1 FA Cup final against Arsenal as a particular highlight.

He was top scorer for the club in every season from 1998 onwards, but left for Real Madrid in an £8 million move after the sacking of manager Gerard Houllier and a spell on the bench under Rafa Benitez.

His time in the Spanish capital was spent largely on the bench, but Owen found the net on a regular basis for Los Blancos, scoring 19 goals in 43 appearances, with just 15 of those as starts.

However, the arrival of Robinho and Julio Babtista signalled the end for Owen in La Liga after just a season, and he signed for Newcastle the following summer for a fee in the region of £16.8 million.

Injuries would blight Owen’s spell at St. James’ Park however, with a thigh problem in pre-season training, a broken metatarsal against Spurs and anterior cruciate ligament damage on World Cup duty with England all hampering his first two seasons with the Toon.

Under Sam Allardyce, he missed spells of action because of a hernia operation and thigh strain, and would score his next goal for the club under a new manager in the shape of Kevin Keegan.

A calf strain would hamper his progress the following year, and it turned out to be a disastrous campaign for the Magpies, with Alan Shearer returning to the club as manager at the end of the season but failing to save them from relegation.

Owen’s contract at Newcastle was up, and after declining to sign a new deal, Sir Alex Ferguson came calling in a shock move to Manchester United.

Taking the No.7 shirt vacated by Cristiano Ronaldo, the striker delivered in his debut season at Old Trafford, notably scoring the winner against Manchester City in a 4-3 classic, a hat-trick against Wolfsburg in the Champions League and the opening goal in the 2-1 League Cup final win against Aston Villa.

There were even calls for his inclusion in England’s 2010 World Cup squad, but the hamstring strain picked up at Wembley in that clash against the Villains put him out for the rest of the season, and ended his chances of playing in a sixth major international tournament.

With chances at a premium in the following seasons, Owen was limited to chances in the League and FA Cup in the main, with groin and thigh problems affecting his chances of breaking into the league side further.

After three years of service for the Red Devils, the two parties parted company on good terms, and whilst the move might not have been exactly what Ferguson wanted, he got good value for no money.

And surely that same philosophy applies for a number of other Premier League clubs who need to bolster their attacking lines before the start of the campaign.

[video=youtube_share;8UBST-bOPeU]http://youtu.be/8UBST-bOPeU[/video]​

1312714319.gif

www.swanseacity.net

ADO Den Haag 1-0 Swansea - Match Report

Swansea City ended a short trip to Holland with a disappointing 1-0 defeat against Ado Den Haag

Robert Rutten's first half goal was enough to give the Dutch side the narrow victory as the Swans kicked off the Chris Levitt regime with defeat

Our Dutch friends Den Haag welcomed the Swans with a warm and friendly atmosphere as both sets of fans merged together at the Kyocera Stadium.

As streamers were released and big green and yellow flags were waved at kick off, it seemed more than just a meaningless friendly as the Dutch fans made themselves heard early on as they welcomed the teams onto an excellent pitch.

Next up for the Swans is a trip to Easter Road to play Hibernian, before returning to Wales to take on Port Talbot