Rising Through The Ranks....Journeyman Styley!!

April 2019 Review

April 2019 Review

Our final game of the Minas State competition ended in an emphatic 8-0 victory, but it still wasn't enough to secure us a top 4 finish and a semi final spot, as Tombense managed a win and a draw in their final two games to pip us to 4th by a point. Still, a 5th place finish is bang on with my board's expectation of a mid table finish in this competition.

View attachment 73442

View attachment 73441

The Game...

View attachment 73440

Poor old Democrata GV suffered our wrath in this one. I think the lads had some pent up frustration from having to play two Serie A teams over the last couple of games, and grasped the opportunity to play a weaker team with both hands here. An emphatic 8-0 victory is the biggest of my career to date and will be hard to beat for many years to come, especially in a competitive game. Italo scored his 2nd hat trick of the tournament, meaning he is now joint top on 7 goals for the golden boot.

Minas State Competition Comes To An End

Unsurprisingly, three of the top four sides in the competition were from Serie A. Pre tournament favourites, Cruzeiro, went on to win the competition once it got down to the knockout stage.

View attachment 73439

One of my strikers, Italo, did manage to grab 2nd place in the top goalscorer award for the competition.

View attachment 73438

Two More Players Leave Tupi FC

I have sold on a couple of players this month for very different reasons. I had a youngster called Jackson in the first team who looked like he had a lot of potential, but he is an out and out winger and considering I am not playing any forward wide men in this formation, I felt there was no need to keep him here. I had a few of the bigger clubs sniffing round him anyway and thought I'd let him continue his development elsewhere. I moved him on for a fee just shy of £18,000, but with a 50% of sell on fee clause attached. So hopefully he will go on and do well and make me some money further down the line when he is sold on. He has joined Serie A side, Esporte Clube Bahia.

View attachment 73437

The second player I shifted out of the club was striker Guilherme, for the simple reason he was on £1,000 per week wages. My whole wage budget is only £9,800, so he was taking up a over 10% of it....and I wasn't even playing him! So he was transfer listed and Brazilian club Central Sport Club have picked him up for £1,000. It was under his value, but I just wanted him gone ASAP.

View attachment 73436

May Preview

I've set up a couple of friendlies for next month before the main competition begins....the Serie C league. This is our main competition of the year and our first two games of the competition will be in May against Brasil de Pelotas and Itumbiara.

View attachment 73435

Pre Season Roundup

Pre Season Roundup

I set up a couple of friendlies to get us match sharp ready for the new season as I was a bit concerned in going 6-7 weeks without a game. Two good wins in the friendlies, including a comfortable victory over Tombense, semi finalists in the Minas State competition.

View attachment 73433

Pre Season Prices

So the bookmakers have released their predictions and odds for the upcoming Serie C season. Bit weird as it completely contradicts my board's expectations. The board have set me a target to avoid a relegation battle, but the media have us as one of the favourites to gain promotion. We are evens to gain promotion and 6-1 to win the competition! Hopefully my board have got it completely wrong and I can easily surpass their expectations this season.

View attachment 73432

Transfer News: 1 In, 1 Out

After signing goalkeeper Guido a couple of months back, I decided to get rid of my 3rd choice goalkeeper. After putting him up on the transfer list, Vilar has left the club to join Serie B side Ponte Preta. They have paid us a fee of £8,250 to secure his signature.

View attachment 73431

My scouts have been pretty active over the past month looking at different players in Brazil and one of their recommendations in particular caught my eye. That player was central midfielder, Franco. A fast centre mid, with good passing and excellent tackling ability. Excellent teamwork and good work rate. Overall, he looks like a **** hot player and I forked out a fee of £64,000 to get him, paying £32,000 up front and another £32,000 in three 12-monthly instalments. He has joined us from Brazilian side Macae Esporte FC.

View attachment 73430

Finances

The bank balance looks pretty healthy, so I'm not too worried about the fact I am slightly over my tiny wage budget as allowed by the club. Nothing left in the transfer budget.

View attachment 73428

D
ynamics

Team cohesion is improving and the dressing room atmosphere is very good. Although I am still lacking a lot of respect from the players, I don't have anyone unhappy and wanting to leave. If I can get us off to a good start in Serie C, hopefully it won't take long to get the players behind me and realising I'm the best man for the job.

View attachment 73427

May 2019 Review

May 2019 Review

A perfect start to the Serie C campaign, 2 wins, 4 goals scored, 0 conceded. Couldn't have asked for more from the opening two fixtures.

View attachment 73422

View attachment 73421

The Games...

View attachment 73420

Brasil de Pelotas were predicted a mid table finish this season, so they would be a good test for us first game of the season. The lads turned in a great performance for me securing a comfortable 2-0 win in a game we dominated. Striker Gabriel Davis suffered an early injury and had to come off, but was replaced by Carlos Roberto who turned in a wonderful performance bagging a goal and an assist.

View attachment 73419

Talk about leave it late! We had been all over them for 90 minutes and missed so many good opportunities. Just when it looked like I was going to have to settle for a draw, Raphael Augusto popped up with a late, late goal to put us in front! Carlos Roberto then added a 2nd, giving us back to back 2-0 wins to kick off the season.

Player of the Month

Carlos Roberto
Advanced Forward

Appearances: 2
Goals: 2
Assists: 2
Man of the Match: 1
Average Rating: 8.05

Only two games played this month, but Carlos Roberto has been outstanding (especially considering he wasn't even in the starting lineup for the first fixture). Two goals and two assists in two games - talk about making a statement for a starting place.

June Preview

Five games coming up in June, starting with a tough away fixture at Botafogo (SP), who are one of the favourites for the competition and have started their season with 2 wins from 2 games.

View attachment 73418

June 2019 Review

June 2019 Review

June was a poor month, with only one win recorded. In many of our games we are the better side and create more chances than our opposition, but are struggling to convert those chances to goals. It's extremely frustrating when your team is playing exactly the way you want them to, passing and moving, creating plenty of chances, keeping things relatively tight at the back, but still not winning games. Our poor run of form has seen us slip to 5th in the table.

View attachment 73175

View attachment 73174

The Games...

View attachment 73172

I will definitely be keeping an eye out for this referee again as the **** cost us the game today. On 60 minutes, we were clean through on goal when Carlos Roberto was hacked down by one of their defenders, for the ref to call 'no foul'....it was the most blatant penalty I've ever seen! Botafongo kicked us all over the pick today, extremely physical, and the ref allowed it. There were constant challenges that looked like fouls to me and not one yellow card was given to one of their players! I'm ****** off to say the least!

I had plenty to say following the game, and the FA's silence speaks volumes...

View attachment 73162

View attachment 73161

View attachment 73160

View attachment 73170

Back to winning ways here, with a good performance to match. Sao Jose had won 2 of their opening 3 games prior to kick off, so it was nice to show them what we were about.

View attachment 73169

A late penalty rescued us a draw in a pretty dull match.

View attachment 73167

Mogi Mirim came into this game with an unbeaten start to the season having won four and drawn one of their opening five games. How the f*ck we didn't win this game and inflict their first defeat on them I don't know!

View attachment 73166

Yet again we create double the amount of chances as our opponents but only take one. The defending was dire in this game too as we fall to a 3-1 defeat in a really poor game for us. It's becoming clear I have a team who can play football to my tactics well, restricting the opponent's opportunities and creating plenty of our own....but none of them can finish on a consistent basis.

Player of the Month

Misael
Striker/Trequartista

Appearances: 4 (+1 sub)
Goals: 3
Assists: 0
Dribbles: 18
Average Rating: 7.30

Again, in another month where the whole team has been rather poor, it wasn't the easiest to pick a player of the month. Misael gets it for his 3 goals in 5 appearances.

July Preview

Only 4 games in July and we really need to start getting some wins under our belt if we are going to push on for a top four spot.

View attachment 73163

July 2019 Review

July 2019 Review

We started the month slowly with a couple of draws, but after we finished on a high with a couple of wins, the unbeaten month has actually seen us rise back into the top 4. Our defensive record this month is impeccable, only conceding one goal in four games.

View attachment 73148

View attachment 73147

The Games...

View attachment 73146

Probably a fair result in a very even game.

View attachment 73145

We were definitely the better side, being away from home too. But just couldn't find a way through as often as I'd like and this played out to a bore draw.

View attachment 73144

We were the slightly better side away from home and it's good to get back to winning ways with a solid 2-0 victory. Misael finding the net twice.

View attachment 73143

Our best performance of the month came against the bottom side in the league who still don't have a win to their name.

Player of the Month

Misael
Striker/Trequartista

Appearances: 4
Goals: 3
Assists: 1
Shots/Shots on Target: 9/6
Average Rating: 7.85

Misael picked up where he left off last month, continuing his fine contribution to our attacking play with another 3 goals and an assist this month.

August Preview

A tough month ahead as we take on 3 teams in the top 5.

View attachment 73142

I certainly hope so mate....need to string together some decent results to get the players behind me a bit more....their still not on board with the idea of me as manager yet

August 2019 Review

August 2019 Review

Four games, two wins, a draw and a loss equals an OK month which sees us maintain a top 4 position in the league. The highlight of our month was the win against CA Bragantino who were sitting top of the league when we played them. We also set a new club unbeaten streak record this month.

View attachment 72586

View attachment 72585

View attachment 72584

The Games...

View attachment 72582

The last time we played Botafogo (SP), we had massive controversy over a penalty that wasn't given and which I believe cost us the game. This time round, there was another penalty decision to be made and the referee made the right one on this occasion, awarding us the spot kick for a clear foul inside the box. Misael put it away, with a strike right in the top corner. But it wasn't enough to get the win as Botafogo hit us late as they piled on the pressure to bag an equalizer in the last minute.

View attachment 72581

Our 4th clean sheet in our last 5 games and another win as we push for a top 4 finish towards the back end of the campaign. Italo gets back into the goalscoring swing of things with a brace.

View attachment 72580

Our opponents were top of the league coming into this game, but that didn't stop us turning in a fine, dominant performance and grabbing a comfortable 3-1 home win. A real statement made today as we approach the final few games of the campaign.

View attachment 72579

With us beating CA Bragantino the previous week, Mogi Mirim had now gone top of the division before we kicked off. An early goal for them and an early sending off for us pretty much condemned us to the defeat that inevitably came.

Player of the Month

Franco
Box to Box Midfielder

Appearances: 4
Goals: 0
Interceptions: 13
Average Rating: 7.23

Franco has been consistent this month and has played a key part in breaking up our opponents play through the centre of the park this month, whilst also bringing the ball forward to initiate plenty of attacking moves.

New Coaching Badge For Me

The board have this month agreed to send me on a coaching course to study for me National B License.

View attachment 72573

September Preview

We've only got two games next month. A huge game against Guarani FC who are also chasing a top 4 spot, before an away day at the improving Boa Esporte.

View attachment 72571

September 2019 Review

September 2019 Review

We only played two games this month which disappointingly saw us drop away from the top four and meant that with only one game to go, it was mathematically impossible for us to make the promotion playoff places this season. The board were not happy and with the game against Boa Esporte being tipped as 'El Sackico' by the media, things are not looking good for me in Brazil.

View attachment 72529

View attachment 72528

View attachment 72527

The Games...

View attachment 72526

Top of the league Guarani beat us in a tight game.

View attachment 72525

We created a number of very good chances in this one, but only managing to put one away meant we laboured to a poor 1-1 draw in a must win game.

October Preview

Our final game of the season against Volta Redonda is the only match in October. It means nothing as the top 4 is now out of reach....although a defeat could potentially seal my fate in being sacked for the first time in my managerial career.

View attachment 72524

Sacked

Fired For The First Time!!

I went into October with one game remaining in the Serie C competition. Despite picking up a 3-1 victory, the board still summoned me to appear before them after the game. They wanted an explanation as to my poor performance this season. In all honesty, I was confused as they'd set me a target to avoid a relegation battle prior to the season starting and I'd achieved this quite easily. I told them exactly that and felt aggrieved that I'd come under so much pressure over the past few weeks. Things got pretty heated and the meeting came to a close with me being fired for the first time in my career.

View attachment 72523

View attachment 72522

Tupi FC Record

Tupi FC: Played 30, Won 14, Drawn 7, Lost 9, Win Ratio 47%

2019 - Tupi FC - Brazil - Serie C - 5th

Trophies; None

Last edited:
Six Months Off

New%20Job%20Blog.jpg

Six Months Off, A New Coaching Badge, A New Country & A New Job

So I packed my bags and left Brazil, heading off home to England to spend Christmas and New Year with the family before deciding what I wanted to do in 2020.

I made some decisions....I wanted to see out the studying and gain my National B License that I'd started whilst at Tupi. I thought gaining that qualification might give me a bit more credit when applying for new jobs. I also decided I didn't want to join a club mid season and get rushed into getting to know my players, tactics etc.... I felt I needed to take a job in a league where it was the end of one or beginning of another season....as my next job HAD to be a success after the sacking in Brazil had already tarnished my reputation.

I completed my course in February and started to search the job market. Initially, the only roles that came up that matched my criteria of taking up a post with a club that was not mid season, were back in Singapore and I felt it would be a step backwards to return there. So I waited patiently for season's to come to an end and jobs to become available...

It hit the final couple of weeks of April and all of a sudden three jobs popped up within a couple of days....all three in Australia. The Hyundai A-League had just finished and there were clearly some disgruntled chairman knocking about 'down under' as Sydney FC, Melbourne Victory and Newcastle Jets all relieved their managers of their positions. My application went in to all three.

To my surprise, I was presented with interviews for all three roles, which was handy as I cleverly lined up my interviews with the clubs across a couple of days, booked my flights and got myself over to Australia well prepared to blow these team's away and hopefully secure my next role!

All three interviews had seemingly gone extremely well and I had a good feeling that I wouldn't be flying back out of the country.

Sydney FC were the first team to come back to me. It was a no, but they gave me some positive feedback and confirmed that I had given a good account of myself, but I was just pipped at the post by another candidate.

Melbourne Victory were the next to return their verdict....Oh ****, another no! Similar feedback to that of Sydney FC, but I felt a bit down on my luck now and wasn't holding out much hope for the third and final job available to me in Oz.

But just as I was looking up flights for a flight back home to England again, the notification for a new email appeared on my phone. It was Newcastle Jets chairman Michael Thornton and the email was entitled with only two words....Good news!

160px-JetsLogoF.jpg

View attachment 72388

Last edited:
Relocation to Australia

Relocation to Australia

Well there was one huge advantage of my next relocation and that was I was moving to a country where I already spoke the lingo, so communication with my staff and players should be a lot easier from the outset.

I was moving to Newcastle, in the state of New South Wales. It's amazing to think that on the map above it looks like it's on top of Sydney, just down the road, but in fact there was over 100 miles separating the two. It dawned on me that we'd be doing a sh*t load of travelling for the away games in this country, but I was looking forward to the challenge nonetheless. Newcastle itself was well known as the largest coal exporting harbour in the world, exporting just over 161 million tonnes of coal in 2016 alone!

The Australian Football League Structure

When you're looking at Australian football (or soccer) as they call it over here, there's only one league to worry about really and that's the Hyundai A-League. It comprises of 10 teams, one being from New Zealand.

Teams play a total of 27 games during a campaign, playing each other three times. The top two teams qualify for the semi final, with the teams finishing between 3rd - 6th, qualifying for the elimination finals to go on and play the top 2. This knockout phase decides the overall winner of the competition. No teams are relegated!

I join Newcastle Jets as the season has just finished, with my team finishing rock bottom of the division, with only 4 wins to their name all season. We've also scored the least and conceded the most goals, so I've got a job on my hands!

View attachment 72387

Continental qualification is as follows...

View attachment 72386

Newcastle Jets

160px-JetsLogoF.jpg

Nickname: None
Year Founded: 2000
City: Newcastle

Professional Status: Professional
Estimated Value: £6.29 million
Training Facilities: Good
Youth Facilities: Adequate
Junior Coaching: Good
Youth Recruitment: Above Average
Corporate Facilities: Adequate

Stadium: Newcastle Stadium
Year Built: 1970
Capacity: 33,000 (23,000 seated)
Fierce Rivals: Central Coast Mariners (Local)
Other Rivals: None
Derbies: F3 Derby (vs Central Coast Mariners)

View attachment 72380

Previous Honours:

View attachment 72379

Only one trophy in the club's cabinet.

The Stadium

The Fans

Love the banner! Spot on for any true fans around the world!

My Contract

View attachment 72363

A cheeky little pay rise to £2,300 per week.

Last edited:
Squad

160px-JetsLogoF.jpg

Squad Evaluation

- On the whole, I have a squad full of players who are decent for this level of football
- On the other hand, there is some deadwood in the side
- Majority of the players are Australian, with Macedonia, Kosovo, Venezuela, Mozambique and Columbia also represented
- I have large banks of defensive midfield and attacking midfield players
- I have two very good wide midfielder players in Reginaldo and Dimitri Petratos
- My first choice defenders are of good quality, but the backup players are not great
- All of my goalkeepers and defenders are tall, 6ft +
- I have a lot of different personalities in the squad, including loyal, balanced, ambitious and determined

View attachment 72378

View attachment 72377

Dynamics

View attachment 72376

The players are seriously ****** at my appointment.

Best Players

View attachment 72375

A solid attacking midfielder that can play through the middle or down either wing. Decent pace, good passing ability and can finish too. I'm convinced he will be key to our success.

View attachment 72373

A technical false 9 with good pace, dribbling and finishing. A natural leader within the team too.

View attachment 72374

A very good defensive midfielder. Very high stats for determination, teamwork, work rate and bravery. He can tackle, he can pass and has decent pace too.

with a name like REGINALDO surely he has to be a star ? good luck down under surely you can't do any worse lol

with a name like REGINALDO surely he has to be a star ? good luck down under surely you can't do any worse lol

He looks pretty good so I hope so! Haha, yea I reckon I'm due a change in fortunes. Although with a win record of over 50% in my career, I don't think its as bad as it looks! Still shocked I got the boot at Tupi when I exceeded their expectations of avoiding relegation quite easily

Update

160px-JetsLogoF.jpg

An Update Before Pre Season Begins

I brought in Steve Coppell as Director of Football.

View attachment 72152

The board announced some new sponsorship deals.

View attachment 72151

The board set their expectations for the upcoming season. As long as I don't finish bottom of the league, I will have exceeded my target. Happy days :)

The budgets have also been set. I'll have £600k to spend on new players and a fair wage budget too.

View attachment 72150

The FFA Cup begins in July, 3 months before the Hyundai A-League kicks off, and as the board have told me it is not important and I won't be judged on my results, these games will be used as pre season friendlies to test some tactics and learn about my new team. The first round draw has taken place and we've been handed a home tie against fellow A-League side Western Sydney Wanderers FC.

View attachment 72149

Pre Season

160px-JetsLogoF.jpg

Pre Season

My pre season campaign was a mix of friendlies and the FFA Cup. With a few weeks between each cup game, I tended to set up a friendly the week before to ensure we were match sharp. It's worked wonders as we've sailed through the cup games into the semi finals of the competition, where we have been drawn against fellow A-League side, Adelaide United. The only blotch on our pre season record was a friendly defeat against FC Bulleen Lions, which I'm not too worried about as I played a reserve team for that game.

View attachment 72029

View attachment 72028

Cup Games

View attachment 72027

View attachment 72026

View attachment 72025

We beat three sides all from the Hyundai A-League, with our best win coming in the quarter final against currently A-League champions, Melbourne City.

Title Odds

The bookies have released their pre season odds prior to the campaign kicking off. We've been predicted a 6th place finish with odds of 12-1 to win the league. Reigning champions, Melbourne City, are favourites to retain their crown. Wellington Phoenix and Central Coast Mariners are both heavy favourites to be struggling at the bottom end of the table.

View attachment 72024

Transfers In

View attachment 72023

Moshtagh Yaghoubi is a talented central midfielder who joins us from Finnish side, HJK. The 25 year old Finland international can play most roles in the centre of the park and is a fantastic acquisition to the squad who will be a regular first team starter. He has excellent mental attributes, is a great passer of the ball, with really good work rate and determination. A real all rounder! I paid £375k to secure him.

View attachment 72022

Jay Humphrey is an 18 year old centre back who joins us on a season long loan from Tottenham. Despite his young age, Humphrey is already a talented defender with good pace and excellent tackling and heading ability. He looks like a really good prospect for the future and is destined for big things. Hopefully he can use this season with us to make his mark and gain some valuable experience.

October 2020

160px-JetsLogoF.jpg

October 2020 Review

A great start to the league campaign with 3 wins from our opening 4 games sees us sitting 2nd in the table only a point behind Wellington Phoenix who inflicted our defeat on us. We also progressed to the final of the FFA Cup this month, where we will take on Central Coast Mariners, our fiercest rivals in the F3 Derby! We also set a new win streak record this month...not a bad way to introduce myself to the club!

View attachment 72013

View attachment 72012

View attachment 72011

The Games...

View attachment 72010

Get in there! A proper smash and grab victory in the opening game of the season! Delighted to come away with all 3 points from a game we were completely domainated in! New signing Moshtagh Yaghoubi bagged the goal on his league debut for us.

View attachment 72009

Our first home game of the season ended in an emphatic victory!

View attachment 72008

My first defeat as Newcastle Jets manager comes away at Wellington Phoenix who go top of the league with this victory.

View attachment 72007

Three second half goals, including a cracking header from the returning Reginaldo and a brilliant volley from substitute Joey Katebian, sees us through to the final. Could this be my first trophy as a football manager?

View attachment 72006

Our final game of the month ended in a solid home win against Melbourne Victory, who suffer their first defeat of the season at our hands.

Player of the Month

Moshtagh Yaghoubi
Central Midfielder/Advanced Playmaker

Appearances: 5
Goals: 1
Assists: 3
Key Passes: 13
Average Rating: 7.94

What a start Yaghoubi has made with the club. My new signing has won over the fans very quickly with some excellent performances in his first month wearing the Newcastle Jets jersey!

Star Man Injured & A First International Cap
Star man Reginaldo picked up an injury in the opening game of the season which will see him miss 3 weeks of action.

View attachment 72005

Centre back Lachlan Jackson earned his first international cap for Australia this month.

View attachment 72003

November Preview

We kick off November with the F3 derby against Central Coast Mariners, in a preview of the FFA Cup Final. We'll follow that up with A-League reigning champions Melbourne City.

View attachment 72002

November 2020

160px-JetsLogoF.jpg

November 2020 Review

We had been set to play four games in November, but with one rescheduled, it only left us with a quiet month of three league matches. Unfortunately, it hasn't been the best of months resulting in two defeats from our three games, although we did kick off the month winning the F3 Derby. Only 3 points this month has seen us drop to 6th in the table, although it is extremely tight and a win in our game in hand could see us rise to 1st.

View attachment 71973

View attachment 71972

The Games...

View attachment 71971

We kicked off November by winning the F3 Derby against our fiercest rivals! Nothing better than a derby win to help you win the fans over!

View attachment 71970

Our second defeat of the season and probably our worst performance with no chances of any significance created in this game.

View attachment 71969

This was a close game that could have gone either way, but unfortunately WSW just pipped us on the day. Back to back defeats for the first time since I've been at the club.

Player of the Month

Nick Cowburn
Central Midfielder/Carrilero

Appearances: 3
Goals: 0
Tackles/Tackles Won: 10/9
Average Rating: 6.90

A pretty poor month for the whole squad to be honest and Nick is the pick of a bad bunch I'm afraid.

December Preview

December's going to be a busy month with 7 games in the schedule. We kick off with the final of the FFA Cup and my first real shot at silverware! The league campaign will really have taken shape by the end of next month too and it should be a bit clearer about the type of season we are geared up for.

View attachment 71967