Roaming and Rotating while keeping Shape

FalseZero

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I was wondering if there was a way to make my players fill in for others, should one leave his position while attacking. Id like Player A to instantly move to Player B’s position if Player B dribbles or runs into Player A’s space/position.
Overall, id like to implement a philosophy where its unimportant who occupies my attacking positions, but they have to be occupied.
RL Example: Tottenham Hotspurs, Attacking Trio always rotating, but shape is kept at all times.

I tried the Roam From Position instruction and had the best results with it so far, but its still awkward.
Example: IF cuts inside, the IWB doesnt occupy the position the IF has left. Or Roaming Playmaker dribbling forward, AMC not dropping into CM position. Center gets crammed up. Ive noticed that players do occupy other players positions, but only after some time, and very hesitantly.
My attacking players have 15+ decision and off the ball.

Are these stats insufficient? Should I rather go for very fluid or structured? Which settings would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

If your IF is coming inside that's what his Role is - your IWB is also meant to come inside - to get your full back overlapping the IF keep him wider - FB/A or WB/S for example.

In the wide positions, any 'Inverted' role will mean they come inside so your full backs will come into MC area, while IF will come into to AMC/ST areas. You have told both of them to cut inside hence the center getting crammed up.

As for the AMC it depends on his role/duty in comparison to the roaming playmaker - watch the games and see where you RP likes to roam, and adjust AMC duties/PIs accordingly. He might be better as a MC with Attack or get further forward so he is moving in response to the RPs runs.

Playing more FLuid might help, as would 'Roam from Positions' but remember the Structured shape can spread players out a bit more - the attack duties getting further away from the support which may open the middle a bit more for you if you have them staying wide.

Hope that helps, it's the best I can do from the info you gave.

Basically, no you can't. If you want the AMC to sit while the MC charges forward, for instance, you need to set it like that and it'll happen every time.

Same with the IWB. The entire role focuses on him coming inside. If you don't want that, don't select the role. Roam From Position will help a little as players will drift, looking for space, but it won't do exactly what you want and they're not going to completely drift off away from their position/instructions. Also, you'll need to be careful with that instruction as you may get more than one player looking at the same free space and moving toward it.

Last edited: