Roaring back to life... An A-League save

Yeti01

Reaction score
View attachment 22334
Aloisi Out!! Club and Manager agree to mutually part leaving Roar in crisis!

Breaking News

View attachment 22338
Smiling about the future? Aloisi overseeing a training session whilst Roar Manager
Mere weeks out from their first FFA cup fixture for season 2018/19 Brisbane Roar have mutually agreed to part ways with manager John Aloisi. It is understood that escalating tensions between the Board and manager have contributed to this decision. Sources have said that the Board have been growing more vocal in their criticism of Aloisi following season 2017/18’s that saw Brisbane finish a disappointing 6th​ in the Hyundai A-League and the murmurs of discontent have only grown since February’s loss to Suwon in their Asian Champions League qualification playoff.

View attachment 22337
The move comes as somewhat of a surprise given many thought Aloisi would be given more time to turn things around following the respectable results in his first two seasons in charge that saw the Roar finish in the top 4 both year’s and make the semi-final of the finals series.

Aloisi is yet to comment publicly but is understood to be privately fuming at the Board's lack of support via investment in the playing roster. The Board are actively seeking a sale of the club and in the interim are said to have effectively placed an embargo of any new additions to the squad.

With an aging squad and most in the media predicting another dour struggle for mid-table mediocrity ahead for Brisbane it is unclear how attractive the managerial position will be for any established manager and it is expected that the Roar may have to appoint an up and coming manager who will certainly have a tough task on their hands to turn around the fortunes of this once great A-League club.

View attachment 22336
View attachment 22335

View attachment 1194799

Last edited:
25 June 2018 - Meeting with Dali Tahir and Rahim Soekasah

View attachment 22333

25 June 2018 - Meeting with Dali Tahir and Rahim Soekasah

Stepping out of the car at Brisbane Roar’s new training base at Logan, McGhee felt both in awe and excited by the challenge in front of him. Weeks earlier, he had been in charge of Victorian NPL powerhouse Avondale FC, a role he had held since the culmination of his playing days that saw the Canberra born winger traverse the globe, starting in Scotland before a move to France, followed by playing stints in England and the middle-east and then finally returning to his country of birth playing with Melbourne Victory. McGhee’s name, whilst not globally that well known, was familiar enough to Australian football fans thanks to his 64 caps and 5 goals for Australia, and he was now entrusted with turning around the Brisbane Roar football club in his first truly professional managerial role.

View attachment 22332

View attachment 22331

Striding forward to greet him was the Roar chairman, Rahim Soekasah and owner, Dali Tahir. Tahir represented the consortium of owners more widely known as “the Bakries”. In the early days of the Bakries ownership, the fortunes of the club had been quite reasonable but in more recent times discontent has infiltrated the club as issues with player payments led to serious morale issues. In their defence, it was clear that the Bakries had invested material amounts into the club giving rise to facility improvements but as the club failed to capitalise on it’s on field success the Bakries had grown tired of seeing a lack of return on their investment and now were actively seeking the sale of the club to recoup some of their outlay.

View attachment 22330

‘Morning Charlie’, Rahim started, ‘thanks for meeting us again’. The earlier meeting had been somewhat of a formality, as they had thrashed out a deal for McGhee to be come Manager. There was no way he was saying no to managing in the A-League, and the Bakries knew it, so any negotiating leverage he had was precarious at best. In the end, McGhee was quite satisfied with the deal that they arrived at.

View attachment 22329

Despite only being a one year ‘prove-it’ deal, the finances were reasonable. They had also been completely up-front about their intentions for the club. McGhee knew that part of how his performance would be appraised was linked to how ‘saleable’ a commodity he turned the club into. To that end, the Board had declined to actually impose any philosophical obligations on him.

View attachment 22328

‘As you know, we aren’t looking to put anymore money into the team. To that end, the boys out on the paddock as the ones you will have to start the season. Furthermore, the proceed from any sales will not be reinvested into the playing roster. I suggest that you seriously consider you options in that regard with current Director of Football, Danny Tiatto before allowing anyone to leave. Of course, if you neither want Tiatto around or Ross Aloisi as your assistant then that is your call, but we won’t allow significant investment in any replacements, you will need to find someone cheap.’ Soekasah continued.

View attachment 22327

‘I guess it goes without saying Charlie that we are aware this isn’t the easiest job right now,’ Tahir interjected, ‘as such, our goal is that we can attract a new ownership bid and provide you with the best possible reference to them.’ He offered his hand to McGhee. ‘Thanks, I guess I had better get to work then’, replied McGhee, returning the offer and shaking Tahir’s hand before setting off in the direction of the training pitch and the players that had just begun their warm-up.

25 June 2018 – overseeing training

View attachment 22326

25 June 2018 – overseeing training

Training was progressing fine, McGhee had started out by reviewing the schedules set for each player by the current backroom staff and found them to his satisfaction. As he observed the various drills he found himself thinking back to the player reports he had begun reviewing on his flight from Melbourne to Brisbane. Bauthéac, a player with significant experience in France’s Ligue 1 was head and shoulders his best player and it was clear early on that any success the Roar was going to have this season would rest on Charlie getting the best out of him. Otherwise, the quality players in the squad that stood out to McGhee were striker Adam Taggart, who has 3 goals in his 7 Socceroos caps and Danish winger Tobias Mikkelsen who, like Bauthéac, had experience in Europe with Nordsjælland and Rosenborg.

View attachment 22325
View attachment 22324
View attachment 22323

As McGhee studied the various strengths and weaknesses of the players at his disposal he made his mind up that he should adopt a style that emphasised the strengths of his best players, eventually settling on implementing a 4-2-4 formation, focusing on wing play.

View attachment 22322

At the same time, McGhee knew that an effective plan B is always a must and, to that end, determined that the players were also capable of dropping into a more conventional 4-2-3-1 with more of an emphasis on retaining possession. This would give players such as Spanish midfielder Álex López a chance to shine.

View attachment 22321
View attachment 22320

With an FFA Cup 1st​ round match little more than a month away though McGhee knew he couldn’t get too cute when installing his systems. ‘RIGHTO LADS! Bring it in. Some good skills on display out there, rest up over lunch though and this afternoon we are inside for some blackboard sessions.’

Last edited:
Where this is going

Time for a break to explain this more.

This is my first story for ages so apologies if I am a bit rusty. Some may still be around from when I was quite active on FM base (Fm15/16 days). For this story I will be (obviously) taking control of Brisbane Roar using a manager who’s playing career I simmed through back in FM 15 to create a backstory. For anyone so inclined that story is available here - http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ger-stories/298781-ballad-charlie-mcghee.html

At this stage my intention is to stick with the Roar for as long as possible establishing them as an Asian and (hopefully) global powerhouse. I would also like to take control of the Australian national team (Socceroos) at some point. I intend to present the story by way of monthly updates with new story type articles thrown in at points when it is relevant. Over time I might introduce things such as focusing on integrating players from Queensland in Australia (pretty parochial bunch up here) and others.

Most of the information around the Roar is fact though, the ownership group is definitely looking to sell and they have recently parted ways with John Aloisi (see https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer...ahead-of-sydney-fc-clash-20181228-p50ok0.html). Ross Aloisi has also left in real life, so I will be mutually terminating his contract also.

For this story I am using Weiry’s (legend) Aussie Pyramid database available here ---> https://sortitoutsi.net/downloads/view/44463/fm19-australian-football-database

Otherwise I think it is all pretty straightforward and I hope anyone who reads it gets some enjoyment – any and all feedback is appreciated!

2018 – July Roundup

View attachment 22312

2018 – July Roundup

It was an absolutely manic month for Charlie as he settled in to the day to day grind of club management. As he expected, after his initial discussions with Tiatto and Ross Aloisi he could tell that they, whilst willing to stick around and offer advice, were understandably already assessing their own options. Upon offering the option to mutually terminate their agreements both did so and were extremely accommodating for the club under the circumstances, terminating without asking for an additional payout.

The Board were true to their word also and were not allowing the purse strings to be opened to bring in any replacements. That said they would allow new staff to be brought in on a budget. To that end, McGhee turned to former Roar player and current Wynnum Wolves manager Josh McCloughan to replace Tiatto as Director of Football.

View attachment 22319

In as Assistance Manager came another with Socceroo experience Hayden Foxe. Hayden, at one time, plied his trade as a player with West Ham and McGhee is hoping the additional credentials of having a coach who has done it as a player will help getting through to the squad.

View attachment 22318

Speaking of the squad, McGhee also found time to sift through the free transfer list in a attempt to find some diamonds. Whilst all three have been brought in on the minimum allowed contract, Caira and Mullen are predominately being brought in provide quality depth, whereas McGhee is hopeful that Djite can fill a role that isn’t yet covered by the current squad, namely the target man in the 4-2-4 and provide an effective, powerful foil to Taggart up-front.

View attachment 22317
View attachment 22316
View attachment 22315

In other news there was noise in early July that a takeover bid might be about to materialise but, as at the end of July, no formal bid had yet been made. Also, in this month McGhee’s former club Avondale were crowned champions of the Victorian NPL competition.

View attachment 22314

View attachment 22313

Last edited:
Matt Makay wow ! I remember when we signed him for Ranger FC. He was meant to have something about him but oddly he never ever got a chance barely played. was a weird year for signings.

Matt Makay wow ! I remember when we signed him for Ranger FC. He was meant to have something about him but oddly he never ever got a chance barely played. was a weird year for signings.

Yeah it always baffled me as to why he never got much of a look in back then. He is quite a versatile player having made his name at the Roar in central midfield but also playing substantially for Australia as a left back that I figured he would be a useful squad player if nothing else but it obviously wasn't to be. He is getting on a bit now but still reasonable quality for the A-League.

Season 1 - August 2018

Entering August McGhee's mind shifted to the upcoming FFA Cup 1st round fixture against local Queensland side Gold Coast United. The Roar were expected to easily account for the National Premier League Queensland side and so it proved, with Brisbane running out 4-1 winners.

View attachment 22136

The early FFA Cup matches in the season essentially serve as pre-season fixtures for the A-League club and McGhee approached the competition with the same view. A friendly with another local Queensland NPL side Redlands was established that the Roar won in a canter 2-0 but this will organised as a tune-up before the Roar's 2nd round FFA cup match against Canberra Olympic. Travelling to the nation's capital was quite the journey, but the Roar were up to the challenge, recording their second successive 2 nil win.

View attachment 22135

In only a few short months McGhee could see that they were beginning to put together a platform from which they could attack the A-League season. 3 matches and 3 wins, albeit against opposition they were expected to beat, represented a useful start to his tenure.

View attachment 22134

Whilst the on-field results were solid, matters off the field were anything but. The Club made it known they were in takeover talks in mid August.
View attachment 22133

But for reasons of failure by the bidding group to provide evidence of their finances, the bid was rightly rejected.

View attachment 22132

Last edited:
Enjoying the story so far, the mix of updates and news articles will mix it up to keep it fun for you and everyone reading. Never read an A-League story before so interested to see how this goes. Will you be looking at having the best home grown players later on in the save?

Enjoying the story so far, the mix of updates and news articles will mix it up to keep it fun for you and everyone reading. Never read an A-League story before so interested to see how this goes. Will you be looking at having the best home grown players later on in the save?

Thanks mate. Yeah the A-League has some very interesting rules with 'designated players' falling outside a salary cap that introduces some different elements to the game. I will most likely have to have a strong focus on promoting home grown players in the first few seasons as I expect funds will be tight. I also plan on, in a similar way to how Athletic Bilbao will only use players from the Basque region in Spain, aim to develop a squad of player either grown through the Brisbane Roar Academy or otherwise come from Queensland, a state in Australia.

View attachment 21888

Kristensen career at crossroads?

27 SEPTEMBER 2018

View attachment 21887

Devasting news has emerged out of Brisbane today following yesterday’s pre-season friendly between Brisbane Roar and Wolves FC as it was revealed that Thomas Kristensen will miss at least the next 8 months with a broken leg.

View attachment 21886

Capped 11 times in his career by his native Denmark, Kristensen quickly established himself as a fan favorite with the Roar faithful following his July 2016 signing following stints with FC Copenhagen and ADO Den Haag. The deep lying midfielder, often expected to provide defensive cover, became renowned for his no-nonsense approach to the game.

The nature and severity of the injury has Kristensen questioning his future in the sport. Speaking exclusively to the Courier Mail, Kristensen said, ‘to cop this at age 35 is a huge blow. To be honest I was already weighing up my future past this season but my reality is that, regardless of what I want, I may not even be physically able to continue.’

View attachment 21885

With it well known that funds are in short supply at Brisbane it is expected that manager Charlie McGhee will need to turn to internal options. Club Captain Matt McKay is expected to see the biggest increase in playing time as a result but other, younger options also exist in the form of former FFA Centre of Excellence starlet Joe Caletti and 17 year old Kai Trewin, who is understood to be held in extremely high regard by McGhee and identified as one for the future, having already been included in recent Australian under 19 squads.

View attachment 21884

View attachment 21883

Season 1 - September 2018

View attachment 21880
2018 (Season 1) - September Roundup

September was a much more regular month for McGhee as he became more familiar with the expectations of managing a fully professional club for the first time. In terms of games there were only 3 friendly matches that the Roar were involved in as they sought to ramp up their fitness ahead of the season proper start in October. As expected the three matches were largely dominated by Brisbane as they were against local opposition who all play in lower divisions and the month was largely uneventful with the exception of the games.

View attachment 21882

In addition to the Kristensen injury, the Wolves FC game was notable for the immense amount of shots the Roar generated. Despite the 40 attempts on goal however, Brisbane could only convert 2. It remains to be seen is this is something that Charlie will need to be more worried about as the season progresses....

View attachment 21881

2018 (Season 1) - October Roundup

View attachment 21680
2018 (Seas
on 1) - October Roundup

General Matters

In October the action really began to ramp up, both on and off the pitch... Early in October the pre-season odds for the upcoming A-League season were release. It is obvious that the media doesn't expect a whole lot from the Roar given there current state of turmoil. At around the same time the odds for top goal scorer were also released. Upon seeing them McGhee couldn't help notice the omission of Taggart from the top of that list and couldn't help himself, throwing a sneaky bet down.

View attachment 21701
View attachment 21700

Not too long after that bit of fun, McGhee was brought back down to earth with confirmation from Kristensen himself that he would be retiring. Charlie made sure Thomas knew that would be acknowledging him at an upcoming game to thank him for a career for which he could be extremely proud. The two also agreed to explore opportunities in the future for Kristensen to join McGhee's backroon staff.

View attachment 21699

As the month wore on McGhee decided that there was no point in having a purely short term view of his tenure and decided to lock down a couple of his more crucial players on longer term deals. Álex López was extended, his wage going slightly up, while Eric Bauthéac was also given a new deal, his on slightly reduced wages although both in McGhee's eyes represent fantastic value for the club and any potential purchaser.

View attachment 21693

View attachment 21692
As the first game of the season approach McGhee also took the opportunity to fill out the squad with a couple of younger players who had really caught his eye. Mirza Muratovic, already capped at u20 level for Australia was brought in to provide cover for both wing positions and up front whilst Lachlan Hunter will be the backup goalkeeper.

View attachment 21691

View attachment 21690

Match Reports

The first match of October was a FFA Cup quarter final showdown with A-League premiership favorites Sydney FC. Not only did the Roar give a fantastic account of themselves they ran out vistors 2-1

View attachment 21689

The second match of the season was a hastily arranged friendly designed to get more run in the legs of McGhee's first choice 11 before the start of the season. Whilst the result was fine, the decision to schedule the additional match back-fired spectacularly with key player
Bauthéac injuring his hamstring, resulting in a 4 week minimum lay-off...

View attachment 21687

View attachment 21686

After another friendly run out, Brisbane kicked off their season proper with a home league match against Central Coast. In what was a topsy-turvy match in the end the Roar were quite lucky to come away with a point, having been pinned in their own area for almost all of the last 15 minutes of the game....

View attachment 21685

McGhee's attention then turned to mid-week FFA Cup Semi final match against Newcastle. Again playing in-front of the Roar faithful, McGhee sent out a strong team, displaying a clear focus on this competition as they ran out victors 1 nil.

View attachment 21683

Brisbane's inabaility to convert shots into goals came back to bite them in their final fixture of the month. Brisbane has responded to going an early goal down turning complete domination from that point into a goal in the 74th minute and looked primed to go on and press for a winner before a screamer from outside the box from Polish international Michal Kopczynski stole all three points for Wellington.

View attachment 21682

TL/DR Version

View attachment 21681

Last edited:
Season 1 – November 2018 Roundup

View attachment 21660

Season 1 – November 2018 Roundup

SUMMARY

Brisbane’s up and down form continued throughout November as McGhee persisted with his 4-2-4 wide formation early. A defeat to West Sydney Wanderers saw a switch to a more standard 4-4-2 focusing on counter attacks which McGhee though would provide more defensive stability and the change was rewarded immediately with a victory over Melbourne City. Those two matches were book-ended with away draws at Perth and Adelaide.

View attachment 21676

View attachment 21675

GENERAL MATTERS

McGhee had persisted through much of October and the early part of November without a number of young stars who were away on Australian duty at the u19 Asian Championships. That trip was a success with that side taking out the final 4-1 over North Korea. McGhee had sat up late to take in the final and watch his youngsters but at it unfolded only central defender Aaron Reardon, currently out on loan at Brisbane Lions, who featured in the final.

View attachment 21674

View attachment 21673

The player who did catch Charlie’s eye was Preston Hugo, a young Queenslander, currently on the books at Brisbane City. McGhee made sure to email through to the scouting team requesting a full report following his scintillating performance.

View attachment 21672

McGhee was perplexed as to why young favourite Kai Trewin had been overlooked for the final by Australian u19 Manager Trevor Morgan given the reports he had received throughout the tournament saying how well he had been playing. He was only more flummoxed when days after the final Trewin was awarded MVP of the tournament. Trewin’s and some of the other’s efforts were clearly not all in vain though as they managed to parlay their performances from that tournament into selection for an upcoming Australian u23 squad.

View attachment 21671
View attachment 21670

Even more good news was to follow later in the month as the club, yet to fill a number of back room vacancies, green lit an approach to Thomas Kristensen for him to re-join the club as a coach. McGhee has really been finding it tough without a full coaching staff and the addition of Kristensen will free him up immensely.

View attachment 21669

Finally, as has become the custom in recent times, Brisbane were again linked with a takeover approach in late November.

View attachment 21668

MATCH REPORTS

The first match of November had started quite well for the Roar as they more than matched their more fancied opponents. Just when they felt they were going to be taking all 3 points back cross-country east Juande popped up in stoppage time to rescue a point for Perth.

View attachment 21667

West Sydney Wanderers presented the next challenge for McGhee. Coming into this match he had been beginning to feel as though the 4-2-4 wide formation was asking too much of his fullbacks, in particular, defensively. This match served as a confirmation of that as the Roar found themselves down two goals inside 30 minutes. Cue the switch to a 4-4-2 and the side almost instantly appeared more comfortable. Unfortunately for this game the damage had already been done but the turnaround at least allowed McGhee to feel the change would lead to better performances moving forward. This match was also notable as it served as Kai Trewin’s A-League debut.

View attachment 21665

View attachment 21666

The third match of November represented the first time McGhee had deployed the 4-4-2 from the first whistle. Whilst it wasn’t nearly as successful in creating shots it was useful in limiting the opposition to attempts from distance and it was Brisbane who created the better opportunities and who, in turn, took theirs to run out 1 nil victors.

View attachment 21664

Novembers final match may as well have been a microcosm of the Roar’s season to date. Varying periods of in-game dominance splattered with the odd goal but ultimately a match where neither team could put together enough sustained dominance to win the match.

View attachment 21663

AWARDS

The switch to the 4-4-2 has allowed McGhee to experiment a little more with the set up of the 2 strikers. This also lead to more game time for 20 year old Dylan Wenzel-Halls. He certainly repaid the manager’s faith, bagging 2 goals and he was subsequently rewarded for that effort with the Young Player of the Month award.

View attachment 21662

View attachment 21631
Good times a comin' for the Brisbane Roar?

View attachment 21658
Could Brisbane Roar have their very own class of '92 on their hands?

Published 22 December 2018

In what has been a very tough season for the Brisbane Roar ther
e have been few causes for celebration. Recent cup run aside, their form in the league has been very patchy and the loss of Thomas Kristensen to forced retirement still looms large over the club. That why, at today's media conference following training, it is hard to fault manager Charlie McGhee for the enthusiasm that he has shown since their newest batch of recruits hit the training paddock mere days ago.

Speaking exclusively to Four Four Two, McGhee remarked at the renewed optimism that has infiltrated the club since the players from the youth intake started training. "Its amazing, the skill on some of these lads is tremendous. I mean sure they all might still be a little way away from first team football but you only need to take one look to see that there is a number from the group who can go a long way in this game. Our Director of Football Josh McCloughan remarked to me that this could be a golden generation for the club."

View attachment 21638

In this reporter's own view having observed a number of training sessions it isn't hard to see why they are so excited, there could be as many as 8 players all ready to take the step up into first team football in the near future. For a club that is struggling to compete financially with some of the other teams in the league this kind of influx of talent could be literally priceless.

View attachment 21636

When pressed to identify the individual who had impressed him the most McGhee didn't hesitate. "Dylan Ellis, he is everything we could ask for in a central midfielder of that age. To be honest, it is going to take all my will power to not expect too much from him, too soon. I can definitely see a future Brisbane Roar side with both him and Kai Trewin marshaling the middle of the field."

View attachment 21632

Brisbane Roar fans can take a lot of heart that, despite current turmoil off the field and lackluster results on it, there is now hope for the future. Just how far this group can go with the likes of Trewin, Mirza Muratovic, Lachlan Hunter and Joe Caletti who have all been integrated into the first team this season remains to be seen however one thing is for sure, whilst the Roar may have had one of the oldest registered playing squads going into the current season, next year's will be anything but.

View attachment 21630

Last edited:
Ellis looks class, can't wait to see how he pans out!

Thanks mate. A large part of the squad is off contract at the end of the season so I will be bring him and a number of others up from the beginning of next season should I survive that long.

View attachment 21476

Season 1 - December 2018 Roundup

Summary

Charlie's first piece of silverware arrived in arrived in early December as Brisbane Roar defeated Adelaide United in the FFA Cup final on penalties. Other results continued to show Brisbane's pattern of one step forward, one step back... The League is so tight though that anyone who goes on a semi-decent run of form will streak away with it.

View attachment 21490
View attachment 21489

General Matters

McGhee knew that he had a number of contracts that are running out at the end of the year, so it was no surprise when there was a number of inquiries around first Mikkelsen, then Henrique, before the media starting running a campaign that McGhee could only assume was designed to turn Taggart's head....

View attachment 21488
View attachment 21487
View attachment 21486

Finally, late in the month, as always seems to be the case, there was an update concerning the takeover situation. Things seem to be getting more serious this time.

View attachment 21485

Match Reports

The first match in December was the FFA Cup final. In what was a tightly contested affair, it was the Roar who held their nerve at the end, converting all their penalties to take home the cup.

View attachment 21484

View attachment 21483

Brisbane started the 2nd match of December with great energy following their cup success, taking a 7th minute lead. Unfortunately though the additional game time, particularly after having gone to extra time in the FFA Cup final, took its toll as Newcastle completely dominated the 2nd half and, it must be said, fully deserved their stoppage time winner.

View attachment 21482

Brisbane's 3rd match of the month had Charlie shaking his head at the luck that they received. Again taking an early lead, this time the Roar were able to hold out Melbourne Victory's onslaught for the remainder of the game and escape with a 1 nil win.

View attachment 21481

The following game saw Brisbane put together probably its best performance of the year in Charlie's eyes. They were able to create a number of really good opportunities and converted a number of these, running out 5-2 winners over Wellington. After the match though McGhee received quite bad news that Mikkelson would miss almost the entire remainder of the season with broken ribs. This meant Charlie had a decision to make as the small registered squad size meant he could ill afford to carry a player who may not be on the books next season.

View attachment 21480
View attachment 21479

Brisbane's final match of the month saw them take on Sydney FC away. After such a good performance against Wellington McGhee was confident of a good performance. Unfortunately Sydney had other ideas, taking away a comfortable 3 points after their 2-1 win. Brisbane's injury bug showed no signs of slowing down as both Wenzel-Halls and Alex Lopez picked up injuries in the match.

View attachment 21478
View attachment 21477
View attachment 21475

Ellis looks awesome! Think they'll be some big clubs coming in for him if he develops well in the next few years

Congrats on winning the FFA Cup! Gotta be nice to get trophy number 1 under your belt so soon.