Reaction score
Rocking Bilbao

Hi, yep, I’m new around here and signed up mainly to post in this section. After growing bored of a long-term Napoli game in which it was pretty easy to build success by buying great players, I decided to do something different. Having wanted to play with the likes of Javi Martinez, Muniain and Llorente in the past, but never actually doing it, I decided Bilbao would be perfect for a new game. It would provide a challenge, while also giving me the enjoyment of possible immediate success. After a snoop around the internet for tips, I stumbled across KLIPPYBO’s Basqueing in Bilbao, inspiring me to join up here and post my story too. So here I am, positing my first ever FM story on here.

Breaking News: Marcelo Bielsa LEAVES Athletic Bilbao
The rumours are indeed true – Marcelo Bielsa has sensationally left his post at Bilbao after falling out with the board, angry at the lack of investment. The final straw was the refusal of the board to offer enough money up to tempt rivals Osasuna to allow Naxto Monreal to join Bilbao, leaving the problematic left back spot, amongst others, still a problem in the Bilbao squad. With this news, Bilbao now look to find themselves a new manager..

Breaking News: Athletic Bilbao Hire Rookie Manager HE Pennypacker
In a shock move, Athletic Bilbao has hired 25 year-old former Australian international HE Pennypacker, handing him his first ever management position. His career cut short tragically by injury, Pennypacker is said to have a sharp tactical mind, and a willingness to work on a tight budget. Pennypacker has been handed a two-year deal by the Bilbao board, with the hope that he'll be the man to take the club forward.

HE Pennypacker Outlines Season Aims To Squad
- Champions League qualification through league.
- Quarter final Europa League appearance.
- Quarter final Copa del Rey appearance.

Pre-Season
- Beñat arrives back at his childhood club for a measly £2 million, with more add-ons to possibly follow depending on performance.
- Aitor Fernandez, Inigo Perez, Unai Albizua and Jon Ander Serantes leave on loan, generating an even measlier £325k.
- Bilbao chase Alvaro Vadillo to no success, with Betis not open to a loan deal, and Vadillo not wanting to move permanently, despite persistent flattery from Pennypacker
- Bilbao enjoy five pre-season wins, including a 3-1 victory over Manchester United.
- Malmö FF drawn in Europa League 4th​ qualifying round.
- Ander Herrera, Iñigo Ruiz de Galarreta and Carlos Gurpegi suffer injuries early in pre-season, and may not be fit for the start of the season.
- Andoni Iraola handed captaincy to a positive reaction from the Bilbao players. Fernando Llorente finds himself elevated to vice-captain.

So this is where I am, with my season set to start off with the Europa League qualifiers, before my season begins. In actuality, I told my board that I wanted to qualify for the Europa League through the league, but that was to allow for some wiggle room. With the likes of Llorente, Muniain, Herrera, Martinez and San Jose providing a solid base for the team going forward, I’m hoping I can build something special. Fingers crossed, eh?

Good luck mate. Bilbao are always a good challenge

Looking forward to the update

Hey mate, good to see another Bilbao story I've just finished my first season :) KLIPPY's inspired me too lol. Looking forward to seeing how you do

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I’ll be around checking out the other stories later, trying to catch up on what’s happening in all the ones that have been going for a while.

1.1 Bright Beginnings

August

- Three wins from three for Athletic Bilbao signal a reasonable strong start to the season, although there were certainly scares in what was an easy draw.
- Barcelona and Real Madrid both score seven times in their first games, destroying their competition.
- Bilbao draw Palermo, Rapid Bucharest and Vorskla in Europa League group stages.

Europa League 4th​ Round Qualifying Draw 1st​ Leg
Athletic Bilbao 2-0 Malmö FF
San Jose (pen), Lundgren (OG)

Europa League 4th​ Round Qualifying Draw 2nd​ Leg
Malmö FF 3-4 Athletic Bilbao
Muniain, Llorente, Gabilondo, Susaeta

Liga BBVA
Athletic Bilbao 4-2 Rayo
San Jose 2 (1 pen), Ekiza, Llorente

A decent enough start to the season, although it was an easy draw. Malmö scored two late goals in the 2nd​ leg against a weakened team, plus I had already substituted a few other players off for fitness purposes, which means the scoreline flattered them a little. The first leg could have been a much bigger score my way too, but I’m happy to qualify. I’m a bit worried about facing Palermo, with my defence looking a bit frail early, and Hernandez’s pace sure to be an issue for me. The Rayo game brought a big scare, going behind in the first minute, before bringing it back to 1-1, only to go behind again at the start of the second half. Both goals were the result of defensive mistakes though, and in general we dominated play. Hopefully that general pattern can continue on.

Player of the Month
Igor Gabilondo
Three assists against Rayo pretty much got him over the line in a match saving performance, with San Jose and Muniain the next best.

Super Duper Deadline Day News
After making one last play with another round of compliments, I am delighted to announce that I have finally secured Alvaro Vadillo on loan, meaning he now has Basque nationality. Hopefully I can sign him permanently later, but I'm just over the moon to have signed him and gotten him that Basque nationality!

Last edited:
1.2 Sustaining The Start

September
- Bilbao still undefeated, with a month that included a stunning victory over Malaga, as well as a frustrating scoreless draw with Villarreal.
- All signs point to the next stage of the Europa League, following a comfortable win over Rapid Bucharest and a good, albeit slightly lucky, win over Palermo.
- Barcelona and Real Madrid both making slip ups, with Barcelona drawing against Atletico, while Madrid drops points twice.
- Sociedad in top form, with Vasco derby to start October.
- Sevilla with one win from five and in relegation territory.

Liga BBVA
Espanyol 0-3 Athletic Bilbao
Llorente, Gabilondo, Susaeta

Europa League Group D
Athletic Bilbao 2-0 Rapid Bucharest
Ibai Gomez, Iturraspe

Liga BBVA
Athletic Bilbao 5-3 Betis
Igor Martinez, Mikel San Jose (pen), Susaeta, De Marcos, Llorente

Liga BBVA
Malaga 0-5 Athletic Bilbao
Javi Martinez 2, Muniain, Llorente 2

Liga BBVA
Athletic Bilbao 0-0 Villarreal

Europa League Group D
Palermo 0-1 Athletic Bilbao
San Jose

Not really a month to complain about, although the Villarreal result was extremely frustrating. It was twenty shots to one, yet Llorente and Muniain spurned a lot of chances. The two surprise victories have me very happy though. I went two up early in the Malaga game, before Demichelis was sent off for them, which made it fairly easy from there. Palermo dominated play, which was helped by me resting a lot of players against them due to the match against Sociedad coming up just three days later (a match that I’m not at all confident about). Still, San Jose was amazing defensively after pinching a goal from a corner. Iraizoz also made a stunning double save in the last minute to allow me to hold on and secure the win, putting me in a very good position to go through already. Gabilondo has been out since the first game of the month, so there's been a little bit of rotation through with players. Vadillo has thus far put his hand up as the best choice for me to start on the left.

Player of the Month
Javi Martinez

Susaeta is unlucky to miss out after running the show against Betis, but Martinez’s performance at Malaga was amazing, and he was also key in the win against Villarreal. Whenever he’s on the pitch, I seem to be able to control the game. Take him off (or rest him, as I did at Palermo) and my midfield looks quite shaky.

View attachment 252332

Good month mate, any chance you could post your tactic/formation?