Will Belgium make it to South Africa?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooner96

Reaction score
A surprise appointment came in for Belgium today after Head Coach Georges Leekens left yesterday, as the FA has entrusted Patrick Hughes into the fold. Patrick Hughes has British and Belgian nationality and Passports, and speaks French and Flemish Dutch fluently, with enough German to see him through.

Belgium are unlikely to do anything at all in the near future, so it is up to Hughes to push for the unexpected, and put some fertiliser onto Belgian soil, to help them grow.

When unveiled by the FA, he announced that a more in depth Press Conference would come later, but he just wanted to say hi.

"I have to tell you that I've had a few drinks to calm my nerve for this", he said, at the beginning of a short and jovial Press Conference. It is thought, however that deep scrutiny will mark his first few weeks, his comments to the press in the next Press Conference, and certainly his first few matches.

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

Hughes Thrives in Opening Conference​

New Belgium manager Patrick Hughes has swept through his first Press Conference with few talking points.

With just 7 questions to answer, it was never going to be hard, and indeed, he swept through with quick and heartfelt answers, saying that this was his dream, and that he would bring attractive football in Belgium.

He then went onto questions where he could preen his ego, claiming that he could hit the ground running, and that he thrived under pressure.

On the player and staff issue, he confirmed that Timmy Simons would stay on as captain and that he would pick who he thinks deserves to play. He then said that a couple more staffing additions could be in order.

His final comment was that he would do a monthly blog on the Belgian FA's website about being the manager..

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

Hello, I'm the Manager​

Hello, I'm Patrick Hughes, the new manager of the National Team of Belgium. Nothing much has happened in the last month or so apart from the addition of an U19 manager in Frederic Peiremans (BEL) and a physio in Rinus Louwers (NED).

Apart from this, nothing has happened. This month we play one match, at home to Malta in a friendly.

See you next month!

Patrick Hughes.

Nice OP, good challenge managing Belgium is, I've tried a few times and I can honestly say that its a hard job but it gets easier once the likes of Lukaku, Witsel, Defour and Hazard develop, then you can compete against the big countrys. Good luck :)

As long as you play Hazard,Mirallas and de Carmago up top,you should be fine. ;)

Good luck.

Thank you Malta!​

1st of September 2009

Hi everyone!

This has been a quiet month, although it involved my first game as manager. Malta would provide friendly opposition.

BelgiumFlagSmall.png
vs
small_flag_of_malta.gif

My Belgian team was recently depleted by injury, including goalies and defenders. This would be the team I sent out.

de Camargo Dembele
Hazard Legear
Defour(Y) Fellaini
Vermaelen Lombaerts van Buyten Swerts
Bailly

Legear put in the opening strike on 28 minutes, before Michael Mifsud equalised for Malta five minutes later. Half Time came and went, and as 51 minutes had ticked over, Legear struck his second across the face of goal and just inside the far post. An Eden Hazard corner then met the Head of Daniel van Buyten, and he put it in, although an own goal could have been given.

Belgium 3 - 1 Malta

This month we face the tough test of Spain, before we play Armenia.

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

A Great Month​

1st of October 2010

A fantastic month of September came for Belgium, as our 2 matches both came away with favourable results.

BelgiumFlagSmall.png
vs
small_flag_of_spain.gif

Our first match was at giants Spain, in spain, who played a pretty much full strength team, although Villa was on the bench.

However, on the pitch, Spain weren't so strong, and it took three minutes for a long range strike from Marouanne Fellaini to hit the back of the net. A nervy rest of the match, ending in at least 1 minute too many of second half stoppage time. Maarten Martens found himself sent off for persistent fouling, but that was the only blot in a fine copybook.

Spain 0-1 Belgium

belgium_flag_small_medium.gif
vs
Flag-Armenia-small.jpg

Our second match was against Armenia, and after the win against Spain, we were confident.

Indeed, the confidence was well placed. Tom de Sutter grabbed the opening goal on 7 minutes, and Dembele made it 2 in first half stoppage time. Nicolas Deseclos got one back for the home team after 58 minutes, but 8 minutes later, de Sutter sealed his brace and the match. Eden Hazard struck in minute 90+2 to make it 4-1, and our boys were going home very happy.

Armenia 1-4 Belgium

Finally, some brilliant news, as we moved from 68th for 53rd in the FIFA World Rankings.

In October we play the final 2 gmes of Qualifying, at home to Turkey, and then going to Tallinn to face Estonia. Although now impossible to qualify automatically, there is still the chance of a play off spot, as we lie 4th on 13, Turkey have 3rd on 14, and Bosnia control the play off spot, on 15 points. Be sure that we will work hard for this.

Last edited:
I accidentally saved over it, but the show must go on!

Or start again, obviously.

So here goes.

logo-gva-transparant.gif

A gasp swept across the crowd as the Belgian FA announced rookie Patrick Hughes as the new Belgium manager. This news came after the shock resignation of **** Advocaat.

The Belgian FA's Chairman François de Keersmaecker was quoted as saying "Patrick could herald a new, great era for the country's team, and a possible qualification soon." Patrick Hughes was born in Brussels, but lived in England for many years, and he speaks Dutch, French and English. He was not available for comment, but a press conference will be soon, and some tough questioning of him and the FA will be readily seen.​

good luck again, whats the qualifying campaign look like when you take over?

I'll be following this...I've just become the Belgium manager in my story (in 2012 though) so will be looking for tips! :p

The qualification so far:

2pzf8l2.png

LogoDeStandaard.gif

The first Press Conference of Patrick Hughes' reign as Belgium manager happened today. The transcript is below.

You sit here as the new manager of Belgium. Is this your dream job?
I am absolutely delighted to be hired, it really is a dream come true.

What is your overall approach to the tactical side of the game?
We will always look to play successful, attractive football.

Can you hit the ground running?
We are working towards a positive start.

Will Timmy Simons carry on as captain?
I have total faith in Timmy and look forward to working closely with him.

How are you going to handle the pressure?
I wouldn't have taken the job if I didn't have complete confidence in my ability to handle pressure.

Will you be selecting your players based on reputation?
I will select who deserves to be played.

Will you be adding staff?
Yes I will.​

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 05:33 PM ----------

Belgium Matches - August/September​

In August and September we played 3 matches - A friendly against Poland at home, World Cup Qualification matches away in Spain and Armenia

1-0
poland_flag_small_medium.gif

Dembele (20)

A good goal for Moussa, as Defour ran and made the goal before passing it to Moussa who tapped it into a nearly empty net. Poland came back at us, but Vandenbussche held strong.

spain_flag_small_medium.gif
1-0

Senna (Pen 44)

A controversial penalty decided a mostly evenly matched game, although Spain porbably deserved it all in all.

flag_armenia.gif
0-3

Van Buyten (9) De Mul (56) Martens (Pen 90+3)

A game we controlled frankly, and we deserved the 3.

2dr724n.png

Next 2 months we play 4 games.

fenf51.png

It is now impossible for anyone but Spain and Bosnia to win the group, and Spain are 6 points up with 2 games to go. If Spain lose to Armenia, Bosnia beats Estonia and then beat Spain in the final game, Bosnia will go top as they have a superior GD. If this does not happen, Spain go through and Bosnia go to the play offs.

Unlucky against spain!! Not the best of starting positions to qualify for the world cup, but be great if you manage it!

It's impossible. I'm 8 points behind 2nd with 2 matches to play. Turkey (who I play next) are 7 points down.

Status
Not open for further replies.