Ronaldo named Europe's top player

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo is crowned European Football of the Year ahead of Lionel Messi and Fernando Torres.

More...

I suspect the reason given by most of the journalists is that you can't deny the fact that he scored 42 goals last season. . .

If he hadn't got quite so many goals then Messi would have been a shoo-in. You can't deny his achievements, but he's not a very good role-model.

Good to see Zlatan got his respect, he was injured for a lot of the season but still got rated above Lampard - that made me smile.

Torres was voted North Western Player of the Year a few weeks ago so that's obviously the more prestigious award anyway. ;)

Yeh you cant deny Ronaldo's achievements in terms of goals, but Messi >>> Ronaldo

Messi should have won, it would be interesting to see europe's top players stats against europe's top teams

Well I know Ronaldo finished as the tournament's top scorer, won player of the tournament award, scored in the last 16 against Lyon, the QF against Roma, and in the final against Chelsea, if that helps?

Messi should have won, it would be interesting to see europe's top players stats against europe's top teams

Wasnt Messi injured for large spells of last season?

everyone seems to be a massive expert on messi these days, how many people actually watch him play every week and dont just judge him on a trick he gets on soccer am or something. i watch ronaldo pretty much every week and as much as i dont like him hes an amazing player and last season he was by far the best player in the world

i think people who dont like ronaldo just say messi is better to spite him

everyone seems to be a massive expert on messi these days, how many people actually watch him play every week and dont just judge him on a trick he gets on soccer am or something. i watch ronaldo pretty much every week and as much as i dont like him hes an amazing player and last season he was by far the best player in the world

i think people who dont like ronaldo just say messi is better to spite him

If you watch Messi every week you will see he is by far a better player. barca are on sky every week and i try watch them as much as i can.

Ronaldo won for the amount of goals he scored and he has done well to be fair but how many times last year and so far this year has he had a stinker of a game and done nothing to contribute to the match

I must say though he is one of the best Headers of the ball i have seen.

Ronaldo won for the amount of goals he scored and he has done well to be fair but how many times last year and so far this year has he had a stinker of a game and done nothing to contribute to the match

not that many. He's still scored 8 this year in the league despite missing the first month of the season. I can say I do see Ronaldo in EVERY game he plays for us, and very every rarely is he actually ineffective. He might not have massive games all the time but people probably expect way too much from him, as tbf they do with Messi as well.

And Messi was injured for lots of last season. There's no way anyone other than Ronaldo deserved it. This 'its only cos his goals' argument is bullshit. Of course it is mainly. Why else are the vast majority of previous winners strikers? The only difference with Cristiano is you have the complete package, and for more than the past year, people on the edge of their seat every time he gets the ball.

Ronaldo have scored 8 this year but they were against hull, stoke, west brom, west ham and bolton, some achievement when playing in a man utd team. Where was he against arsenal, chelsea, liverpool, villa and villarreal? He complains about getting tackled and about the way he is targeted by other fans. I watch barcelona as often as i can i see there champions league games and there games on sky and messi takes the kicks and plays well against the big teams. He is a much better than ronaldo and i agree ronaldo won for the amount of goals he scored but if your the worlds best player you need to perform against the worlds best teams and i dont think ronaldo has done that.