Ronaldo Player of the Year

Redders

Get in the Van.
Reaction score
From BBC:

Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo has been named as the Professional Footballers' Association player of the year.

The 23-year-old wins the award for the second successive season after another outstanding campaign that has seen him score 38 goals in all competitions.

"I feel very happy. It is a great moment, it is an honour, a pleasure," said the Portuguese star.

Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas picked up the young player of the year award.
<!-- E SF -->
Ronaldo beat off competition from Liverpool duo Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard, 20-year-old Fabregas and Gunners team-mate Emmanuel Adebayor and Portsmouth goalkeeper David James.

The Portugal international was also in the running to scoop the young player of the year award, a feat he achieved last year, but was pipped to the prize by Spain international Fabregas.

<!-- S IBOX --> Torres, Micah Richards, Gabriel Agbonlahor and Ashley Young were the other nominees.

Ronaldo did not attend the event, as he is busy preparing for Man Utd's Champions League semi-final second leg clash with Barcelona on Tuesday night, but was presented with the award by United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

"When you work all season to play good, to do something for the team, to do your contribution for the team and then at the end of the season the PFA give you this award, it is a great moment, it is an honour, a pleasure," said Ronaldo.

"It is a great motivation to carry on like that, to work more and get better.

"I feel very good but it is not just my award, my team-mates have helped me a lot this season.

"They give me good passes to score goals - and I score - but it is a good moment for me."

Ronaldo revealed he voted for Arsenal striker Emmanuel Adebayor, but believes the right man walked away with the award.
"I voted for Adebayor because I think he has had a great season as well," he said.

"But you have many players who have had a good season - Torres, Fabregas, many players. But I think I deserve to win!"

Of his award, Fabregas said: "I'm very proud. It's a very prestigious trophy.

"Football is a collective game and you prefer to win trophies with team-mates but it's always nice to have this type of award.
"I dedicate it to my team-mates because without them I would not have won."

BBC broadcaster and former England and Blackpool full-back Jimmy Armfield received the merit award for his services to the game.

<hr> PFA Premier League Team of the Year:
David James (Portsmouth), Bacary Sagna (Arsenal), Rio Ferdinand (Man Utd), Nemanja Vidic (Man Utd), Gael Clichy (Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), Cristiano Ronaldo (Man Utd), Ashley Young (Aston Villa), Emmanuel Adebayor (Arsenal), Fernando Torres (Liverpool).

PFA Championship Team of the Year:
Wayne Hennessy (Wolves), Bradley Orr (Bristol City), Ryan Shawcross (Stoke), Dan Shittu (Watford), Paul Robinson (West Brom), Brian Howard (Barnsley), Marvin Elliott (Bristol City), Liam Lawrence (Stoke), Jonathan Greening (West Brom), Ricardo Fuller (Stoke), Kevin Phillips (West Brom).

PFA League One Team of the Year:
Kieren Westwood (Carlisle), Angel Rangel (Swansea), Garry Monk (Swansea), Danny Livesey (Carlisle), Julian Bennett (Nottm Forest), Andy Robinson (Swansea), Ferrie Bodde (Swansea), Kris Commons (Nottm Forest), Richie Wellens (Doncaster), Jermaine Beckford (Leeds), Jason Scotland (Swansea).

PFA League Two Team of the Year:
<!-- E BO -->Jon Lewis (Peterborough), Craig Pead (Brentford), Stephen Foster (Darlington), Danny Swailes (MK Dons), Dean Lewington (MK Dons), Jason Puncheon (Barnet), Keith Andrews (MK Dons), Lloyd Dyer (MK Dons), George Boyd, (Peterborough), Jack Lester (Chesterfield), Aaron McLean (Peterborough).
Someone told me it was voted for in Feb?...is this true? if so- ridiculous.

How Wheater didn't get into the list is beyond me. Might not be playing in a "big" or "fashionable" team but to go from Darlington on loan to England fringe player and regular u21 and not be up for the award is ridicuous - wouldn't of won, but should of been nominated.

Yeah I heard the voting is actually done in January of February...thats ****** stupid. Still Ronaldo deserved it and well done to him :D Makes sense to give Fabregas young player as well, Torres must have ran both of them close.

Can't find much fault with team of the year just yet but I'm sure people will point out is problems. Though its great how theres no Chelsea players in sight, yet they could still win the title :p

your not suggesting Wheater deserved a nomination for player of the year surely :|

hmm Sagna??? maybe Glen Johnson he has had a decent season and why is Gerrard in there????? what exactly has he done to light up this season?

Surprising no Wrexham players in League two team of the year :p

hmm Sagna??? maybe Glen Johnson he has had a decent season and why is Gerrard in there????? what exactly has he done to light up this season?

Johnson aint a bad shout, Jagielka has done well for Everton too. Gerrard is then there cos once again he's been Liverpool's most consistent player and has carried them when Torres' goals haven't.

your not suggesting Wheater deserved a nomination for player of the year surely :|

Young player obviously.

Wheater > Richards this year (Inj half and Man City fan i know says he was poor the rest).

Its player of the year not season right? I heard Richards voted in january at least that's what i read in his column i think.

Ahh yeah that makes sense actually calling them player of the 'year' rather than season. Still, people only talk about what has gone on in this season

I know, especially doesnt make sense when it comes to teams of the year, someone could play some of the year in one division with the same team and then in another division the other part of the year without changing teams.