kingjames89

Reaction score
Rondos can be interpreted as anything you want in line with the beliefs you hold as a coach. However, a Rondo by definition is a positional-based practice with an overload of players located in a particular area or zone on the field. These zones have clearly defined roles and purposes for the players that are within it.

Equally, the Rondo is used as an education tool to help players understand positional roles and requirements, both in and out of possession. Rondo’s are primarily used to coach players when the team is in possession (although not exclusively) and promotes understanding around when, where and how to penetrate the opposition to advance up the pitch.

Rondo’s are not delivered in line with one specific formation, rather they introduce concepts for your players to then deliver on pitch. However, the 4-3-3 formation provides sufficient depth, length and width in a team along with creating passing triangles which may contribute to numerical and positional superiority in all areas.

Rondos adapted to FM 16:
Objectives:
  • Angles and distances between the Attackers (game realistic)
  • Movements to create triangles and passing options
  • Quality, weight and decision of the pass (play around or retain)
Detail
  • Movement to receive
  • Body shape to receive
  • Angles and distances to combine
  • Timing of passes - ‘La Pausa’
  • Use the 2 passing lines (in front of Defender and around the Defender) to create opportunities to retain the ball and advance forwards
  • Passing options around and ahead of the ball
  • Communication
Progressions

If the Attackers are having success in retaining possession and adopting positions to advance forwards, then the Rondo may progress to a 4vs.2 activity to introduce the third passing line - the penetrating pass.
Many coaches may be inclined to introduce a 2 touch or 1 touch condition, however this condition actually influences a player’s decision on the ball, rather than encouraging the player to be able to recognise when to play in 1 or 2 touches and when to keep the ball and wait for teammates to take up advantageous positions ('La Pausa' - timing of passes).
As a Coach, we aim for quick play to unbalance the opposition, however, it is more important that the players understand when to play quickly and when to slow the play down rather than force it upon them.

I have adapted these principles into this tactic and it plays exactly like a PEP side. It may not win you matches but you play like how Pep wants his teams to play.

It isn't a possession tactic but rather a positional philosophy with lots of 3rd line of passes and many CCCs and hopefully will win more than you lose+draw.

This is not a diablo sort of tactics but for people wanting to play like a Pep team.

View attachment 126252

Team Structure:

A shot stopper in goal. Standard defenders as center back pairing. They will need to possess jumping power for those over the top balls. Wing backs are very important in a Positional football setup as they both need to put in a shift in defense and attack. Support duties ensures they are not too drawn out but still possess an attacking threat. They also serve as overloading options on the wings and provide the width for the tactic. The half-back, the Fernadinho's of a Pep team is very important in the setup. He is going to be the transition conductor. He also plays the role of the Joker in the team. By Joker, his main duty is to serve as an all round overloading option across the pitch. The Box to Box midfielder is the engine room, contributing and combining in attack with front three and also defensively covering for the half-back and his CM partner. The Ball Winning Midfielder is the terrier in the team. He is going to hassle every ball on the pitch and won't give his opponent a moment of peace. The Front Three: The Eganche is playmaker in the team. Every attack goes through him. He is the 3rd line passer. The pass that goes through and around opponents. These passes are all what the tactic works for. The Magnus Opus. The attacking midfielder would pair up with the shadow striker. He is more of the creator than the finisher between the two. The shadow striker finishes off the 3rd lines of passing. That is his sole job.

Results with Bournemouth:

View attachment 126251

View attachment 126250

View attachment 126249

League table:

View attachment 126248

Match analysis:

Guido Carrillo of Newcastle relentlessly pressured to submission in a 3v1 situation. Player is cut off every possible passing lanes and shown to the touchline. This is in true Pep fashion.

View attachment 126247

Third Line of passing to Goretzka playing as our shadow striker. A lot of this happens.

View attachment 126246

Another one:

View attachment 126245

3v1

Our two center defenders playing on the half way line. Number 11 passes it to King who is closed down by a Newcastle player. Immediately, Smith (15) and Praet (18) create overloads behind the newcastle player. This offers King two passing lane oppositions creating a 3v1 and giving us superior advantage.

View attachment 126244

Against Fenerbache in the Champions league, we set out forming grids in triangles overloading the central areas.

View attachment 126244

You don't need world class players to implement this system but you certainly need technical good players.

Personally, I don't field anyone with less than 13 First touch.

Hope you enjoy the tactic as much as I did and Feeds back will be appreciated.

Rondos Pep_C5E0A1F7-B6A7-4850-8D64-5BD4F31E9557

Last edited:
Rondos can be interpreted as anything you want in line with the beliefs you hold as a coach. However, a Rondo by definition is a positional-based practice with an overload of players located in a particular area or zone on the field. These zones have clearly defined roles and purposes for the players that are within it.

Equally, the Rondo is used as an education tool to help players understand positional roles and requirements, both in and out of possession. Rondo’s are primarily used to coach players when the team is in possession (although not exclusively) and promotes understanding around when, where and how to penetrate the opposition to advance up the pitch.

Rondo’s are not delivered in line with one specific formation, rather they introduce concepts for your players to then deliver on pitch. However, the 4-3-3 formation provides sufficient depth, length and width in a team along with creating passing triangles which may contribute to numerical and positional superiority in all areas.

Rondos adapted to FM 16:

Objectives:
  • Angles and distances between the Attackers (game realistic)
  • Movements to create triangles and passing options
  • Quality, weight and decision of the pass (play around or retain)
Detail
  • Movement to receive
  • Body shape to receive
  • Angles and distances to combine
  • Timing of passes - ‘La Pausa’
  • Use the 2 passing lines (in front of Defender and around the Defender) to create opportunities to retain the ball and advance forwards
  • Passing options around and ahead of the ball
  • Communication
Progressions

If the Attackers are having success in retaining possession and adopting positions to advance forwards, then the Rondo may progress to a 4vs.2 activity to introduce the third passing line - the penetrating pass.
Many coaches may be inclined to introduce a 2 touch or 1 touch condition, however this condition actually influences a player’s decision on the ball, rather than encouraging the player to be able to recognise when to play in 1 or 2 touches and when to keep the ball and wait for teammates to take up advantageous positions ('La Pausa' - timing of passes).
As a Coach, we aim for quick play to unbalance the opposition, however, it is more important that the players understand when to play quickly and when to slow the play down rather than force it upon them.

I have adapted these principles into this tactic and it plays exactly like a PEP side. It may not win you matches but you play like how Pep wants his teams to play.

It isn't a possession tactic but rather a positional philosophy with lots of 3rd line of passes and many CCCs and hopefully will win more than you lose+draw.

This is not a diablo sort of tactics but for people wanting to play like a Pep team.

Rondos Pep_C5E0A1F7-B6A7-4850-8D64-5BD4F31E9557

EL Rondo - Video

Training El Rondo 4v4 +3

I haven't tried your tactic - so I don't know if you pulled it off - however if you did pull it off it would be my favourite tactic of all time becourse I love this sort of football. I'm a bit cautious though - what's making me nervous is first and foremost your defensive line - I mean you have the right elements covered - Mentality - Max close down - but the defensive line makes no sense to me - When that is said I haven't tried it and maybe it acts exactly the way you want becourse of the high mentality and close down system which I by the way love that you do - its been way underused by tacticians in fm16.

I'm not comfortable with shadow strikers - I have tried those before, but I'm not sure that they impressed me that much - in your system I would have preferred 2 F9's or 2 DLF's for that matter - An Enganche - damnit man I love my poacher or advanced forward that are a constant threat in the centre - but I totally get what you wanna accomplish (I love the Enganche) I'm not mad :D and if you did accomplish the el rondo that would be wow. The 2 CM's well my personal preference would have been CM auto for both or support - I know for a fact CM auto's are really well performing in fm16 - The half back go back in defence right? wouldn't it have been better to have a recycler like a DM defend? I would have preferred that.

When all that critisism is put out their - their actually isn't any critisism - I can't critisize what I haven't tried and visualized - I do think you should add to the well written opening post - formation image - match examples - Oi's or no Oi's.

I think - Exciting formation - Exciting goal within the formation - I hope you pulled it off

Cheers mate

EL Rondo - Video

Training El Rondo 4v4 +3

I haven't tried your tactic - so I don't know if you pulled it off - however if you did pull it off it would be my favourite tactic of all time becourse I love this sort of football. I'm a bit cautious though - what's making me nervous is first and foremost your defensive line - I mean you have the right elements covered - Mentality - Max close down - but the defensive line makes no sense to me - When that is said I haven't tried it and maybe it acts exactly the way you want becourse of the high mentality and close down system which I by the way love that you do - its been way underused by tacticians in fm16.

I'm not comfortable with shadow strikers - I have tried those before, but I'm not sure that they impressed me that much - in your system I would have preferred 2 F9's or 2 DLF's for that matter - An Enganche - damnit man I love my poacher or advanced forward that are a constant threat in the centre - but I totally get what you wanna accomplish (I love the Enganche) I'm not mad :D and if you did accomplish the el rondo that would be wow. The 2 CM's well my personal preference would have been CM auto for both or support - I know for a fact CM auto's are really well performing in fm16 - The half back go back in defence right? wouldn't it have been better to have a recycler like a DM defend? I would have preferred that.

When all that critisism is put out their - their actually isn't any critisism - I can't critisize what I haven't tried and visualized - I do think you should add to the well written opening post - formation image - match examples - Oi's or no Oi's.

I think - Exciting formation - Exciting goal within the formation - I hope you pulled it off

Cheers mate

Thanks Jesu. I have been a fan of your work. Used your over the top deep 442 to go unbeaten. let me try and provide answers to your questions.

First this is just my interpretation, its by no means authoritative.

- I set the defense line as slightly deeper to counteract the very high aggressive system as it is. What I have seen this done is that, the players maintain their structure more and keep their shape while still vertically squeezing the opposition.

- I use the half back as he drops into the defense sometimes when we are under pressure providing an extra man there. A three man defense also allows the wingbacks bump forward while the two cb's spread out wide.

- shadow strikers are important in a formation without strikers. You need their off the ball movements

Pardon my ignorance.....

"This is not a diablo sort of tactics but for people wanting to play like a Pep team."

Whats a diablo sort of tactics......?

sorry if i missed it but do you use opposition instructions? id really love to try this out, I've tried something like this myself and dint really get anywhere

sorry if i missed it but do you use opposition instructions? id really love to try this out, I've tried something like this myself and dint really get anywhere

No Ois unless you know what you're doing. Player's positioning in this tactic is very essential. Oi's can destroy the structure of the system. Let me know when you've tried it out.

No Ois unless you know what you're doing. Player's positioning in this tactic is very essential. Oi's can destroy the structure of the system. Let me know when you've tried it out.

nice one mate! ill most probably give it ago tomorrow after work. ill be sure to post what happens