Rooney not to travel to Valencia

MisterStubbs

Reaction score
Manchester United and England forward Wayne Rooney will not travel to Spain to face Valencia in the UEFA Champions League. The United front man who has had a slow start to the season following last seasons personal best goalscoring season.

Full story Here

Big loss for us I think but with the form of Berbatov and Owen, I think we should cope.

not much of a loss at the moment to be honest, Valencia have started really well and i think they will take this game.

Manchester United and England forward Wayne Rooney will not travel to Spain to face Valencia in the UEFA Champions League. The United front man who has had a slow start to the season following last seasons personal best goalscoring season.

Full story Here

Big loss for us I think but with the form of Berbatov and Owen, I think we should cope.
big loss in terms of not having a play like rooney, but given his its questionable if he would have made an impact from up front, still id rather have him than not. especially as a wide forward down the left. expect park and owen to start

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

not much of a loss at the moment to be honest, Valencia have started really well and i think they will take this game.
actually its a big loss. his approach play has been very good, even though his finishing is out would have been great down the left

Last edited:
the form of berbatov is great, but owen has just scored that one goal, i think hernandez will start along side berbatov then owen will come on for one of the two, he hasnt done aswell starting for united as he has done as a sub.

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

maybe it isn't an ankle injury, they might be covering up that he is just dropped, Boro done that about O'neil last year when they were sorting out with pompey over cash

Big loss IMO. He's been poor finishing wise, but his link up play with Berbatov has been excellent. They've finally made a partnership and it's no coincidence that Berba is playing better alongside Rooney.

Could Kiko Macheda be in line for a start maybe?

I think he was injured. Had a knock last game. Good decision not to include him. Break is what he wanted the most.

i think/hope that Berbatov and Owen start upfront. Hernandez and Macheda are no question decent talent but expeirence away from home counts in this competition and Berbatov and Owen have bags off it.

I don't think so 'sunilvk7'..

He was rested at Everton, hasn't helped him at all..

We start with 4-5-1 with Berba as lone striker. Away game in Europe, going by our recent history this has 4-5-1 written all over it.

but owen has just scored that one goal

Actually I believe he has scored 3 . He scored 2 against Scunthorpe last week as well . But I do believe that he is more of an impact player off the bench .

I have a feeling we will go for a 4-5-1 like we did against Valencia with Berbatov as the lone striker . Its a formation that Ferguson has resorted to in games like this one in the recent past . Anderson will probably come into the starting lineup .

the form of berbatov is great, but owen has just scored that one goal, i think hernandez will start along side berbatov then owen will come on for one of the two, he hasnt done aswell starting for united as he has done as a sub.

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

maybe it isn't an ankle injury, they might be covering up that he is just dropped, Boro done that about O'neil last year when they were sorting out with pompey over cash
no cover up, it was announced straight away after the game from phelan, and hes never been one to mince words, good or bad. phelan had hoped hes be fit though

I don't think so 'sunilvk7'..

He was rested at Everton, hasn't helped him at all..

I meant he had a knock and had ice on the ankle after subbed in the Bolton game. Maybe SAF didnt want to risk him. I'm actually happy with this,

Actually I believe he has scored 3 . He scored 2 against Scunthorpe last week as well . But I do believe that he is more of an impact player off the bench .

I have a feeling we will go for a 4-5-1 like we did against Valencia with Berbatov as the lone striker . Its a formation that Ferguson has resorted to in games like this one in the recent past . Anderson will probably come into the starting lineup .
i dont think he will. berbatov is much more potent with close support. i expect the formation against liverpool will be the blueprint for this game

for those who say we're play a 4-5-1, i disagree. Berbatov can't play the lone striker role, that has been proven many times before but the form he is in, we can't afford to drop him. Berbatov and Owen get my nod to start, bags of European away football expierence between them and having seen them a few times play along side each other, they do work well.

i dont think he will. berbatov is much more potent with close support. i expect the formation against liverpool will be the blueprint for this game

But we haven't played 4-4-2 in European away game, Berba played well against Everton as lone striker, i think SAF will go with that.

I think Anderson Fletcher Scholes with Nani and Park will start in Mid field

But we haven't played 4-4-2 in European away game, Berba played well against Everton as lone striker, i think SAF will go with that.

I think Anderson Fletcher Scholes with Nani and Park will start in Mid field
we hadnt played 4-4-2 in a big game home or away, then went to liverpool and did it. and it worked very well, the goals conceded came from individual errors as opposed to being outdone tactically.

we hadnt played 4-4-2 in a big game home or away, then went to liverpool and did it. and it worked very well, the goals conceded came from individual errors as opposed to being outdone tactically.

We did it in league but not in Europe. SAF did that in the 90s, but we have changed our approach this decade. 4-5-1 for European away game. 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 at home.

for those who say we're play a 4-5-1, i disagree. Berbatov can't play the lone striker role, that has been proven many times before but the form he is in, we can't afford to drop him. Berbatov and Owen get my nod to start, bags of European away football expierence between them and having seen them a few times play along side each other, they do work well.

To be fair , Berbatov did a good job against Everton as a lone striker . Although I can see why people say we are going 4-4-2 . We have done that more often than I expected this season . But away in Europe to Valencia , I dont think we will be going 4-4-2 .

I lol'ed.

This game will be much harder than United fans think, and the loss of Rooney, even with **** form, is a big one.

Il be honest like many i thought Valencia would suffer without Villa and Silva but they are currently top of the league and looking very good indeed. But as we know Fergie knows how to win tough away games in the CL so who knows.

Back