Rotherham appoint Andy Scott as manager

Sid

Reaction score
Rotherham United have appointed Andy Scott as the new first team manager on a three-year contract.

Scott, 38, left League One side Brentford in February of this year after a successful spell in charge where he took the Bees into League One.

The Millers have been without a permanent manager since parting company with Ronnie Moore, with Andy Liddell and Paul Warne taking first team duties for the past four games.

Chairman Tony Stewart heralded the arrival of Scott who put pen-to-paper at club headquarters at Mangham House this afternoon.

"In our pursuit to realise our ambition we will always put the best interests of Rotherham United Football Club at the forefront of any decision and I am confident that the appointment of Andy Scott is consistent with that thought process and strategy as we look to continue to develop and progress this club on our journey forward," the Chairman exclusively revealed to Rotherham United | RUFC Scores, News, Transfers, Fixtures

"Andy, myself and the Board of Directors will work closely together relentlessly in our endeavour to climb upwards through the Football League. I would like to express my genuine gratitude to the work and effort that both Paul Warne and Andy Liddell have put into team affairs, two fantastic guys that we all think the world of."

On his appointment Andy added:

"I feel privileged to be given the job of managing this progressive and ambitious club, it was a job that I really wanted and to be able to share the ambition of the Board is something I aim to work hard to achieve. I want to replicate what I achieved in my first full season at Brentford and I will be working tirelessly to accomplish just that."

Before he turned his hand to management Scott had a successful playing career which initially took him from playing non-league football with Sutton United, to the Premier League with Sheffield United.

In his five years at Bramall Lane he made 87 appearances in all competitions, scoring 11 goals.

In 1997 he moved to Brentford where he notched 37 goals in 143 appearances in all competitions before a transfer to Oxford United in 2001. His stay at Oxford produced another 100 senior appearances which was followed by a switch to Leyton Orient in 2004 where a heart problem forced a premature end to his playing career.

Scott cut his coaching teeth with Orient when he was appointed youth team manager but his big break came back at Brentford when he was appointed assistant manager to Terry Butcher. After Butcher's departure, Scott stepped into the hot seat, firstly on a caretaker basis, and then permanently in January 2008.

He made an impressive start to his managerial career by achieving promotion from League Two in his first full season in management, and was pipped to the prestigious LMA Manager of the Year award by Exeter's Paul Tisdale.

In his first season in League One Brentford finished in a credible 9th position before his departure in February this year.

Sources: Rotherham United | News | Breaking News | Breaking News | Breaking News: Exclusive - Millers appoint Scott
Andy Scott Appointed Manager - Rotherham United FC - MillersMAD.

Seems a bit of a surprise tbh. Thought they might have stuck with Liddell at least until the end of the season.

Maybe there thinking something fresh might just earn them promotion this year.