iGary

Reaction score
Since the release of FM14 I have been trying to emulate Stoke City's route one style of play. It could just be me, or it could be something to do with the game itself, but I am unable to produce a working tactic.

If someone has emulated this to success before or have any tips, please let me know.

P.S. I don't believe in tiki-taka football and would much rather keep clean sheets and win by one goal.

I haven't emulated that tactic, by I use a Counter-attacking tactic, defence first.

4-3-3 with midfield trio of Half Back (DM) and BWM (S) + Box to Box/DLP/AP (s), Two Wing back (support) and a Poacher upfront to run unto long balls, two IF(S).

Drop deeper, High Tempo, Play Narrow, More direct passing/Go Route one, Get stuck it, Hassle opponents. (Work ball into the box optional if your team takes too much long shots and destroys good chances).
Counter/Rigid mentality.

Last edited:
By using a poacher you're not really going to achieve route one? I would be more inclined to use a big target man?

very rigid
overload

more disciplined
stick to positions
play wider
much higher defensive line
much higher tempo

stay on feet
tight marking
play offside
hassle opponents

exploit flank(s)
look for overlap

go route one
pass into space
float or drill crosses
run at defense
shoot on sight

this is bayern/dortmund high press counter...requires 2 CD's on defend duty and dlpd. Crosses depend on your striker. If tall go will float. Flanks should have support duty. Stoke has 2 great stoppers, so they prolly don't play on the offside trap or press that much higher (defensive line), but this is much more efficient. Also, you may want to use counter strategy instead of overload, if your clean sheet is that important

Last edited:
ghost 442 on SI Forum, play very direct route one football.. works great for me.

By using a poacher you're not really going to achieve route one? I would be more inclined to use a big target man?
I actually have Lukaku as Target Man, and I use the other guy as DLF. I don't really use poacher but poacher is useful if you have technical players who play through balls. They're more likely to give balls to run onto than hoof long balls. The tactic I posted isn't probably the one you're looking for. :p I prefer Mourinho-esque counter, not Pulis-esque hoofball.

Targetman - support with an Advanced forward are a good combo, just beaat man united 2-0, liverpool 4-0 and man city 3-2 s everton :)

This is really starting to frustrate me now. All I am wanting to do is play, as Aayush said, hoofball. Is it even possible on FM?