Rowett Returns - Birmingham City - YouTube Series

bcfc345

Reaction score
Hey guys and welcome to my new story. IRL Gary Rowett has taken over at BCFC and he is doing the same here. We start with no money and no wages and are in a sell to buy situation although there is very little in the way of player assests after the firesale of the past few years loosing the likes of Butland, Redmond, Gadner, Larsson etc. The rebuild is on and Rowett looks to get Blues looking up rather than down having survived in the Championship on the last day of last season with a last gasp header from Paul Caddis.
View attachment 330829
This is a Youtube series and I have unfortunately had my other thread closed for duplication so this will be the only thread from now on so updates will be in the comments !!

Links so far !

E1 - Intro - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w-EfRSXREw&list=UUqLB-Hrxw4BYddPB3fZBUIA
E2 - Boro (a) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juCTCVdVHy8&list=UUqLB-Hrxw4BYddPB3fZBUIA
E3 - Cheltenham In the Cup (h) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juCTCVdVHy8&list=UUqLB-Hrxw4BYddPB3fZBUIA
E4 - Brighton (h) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujMzW9K7lzA&list=UUqLB-Hrxw4BYddPB3fZBUIA
E5 - Ipswich (h) & Brentford (a) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo9UnBRvWa0&list=UUqLB-Hrxw4BYddPB3fZBUIA

Last edited:
701034d1415101682t-rowett-returns-birmingham-city-youtube-series-youtube-thumbnail-e6.jpg

E6 - CAPITAL ONE CUP V CRYSTAL PALACE

Gary Rowett's Programme Notes
"We have started the season incredibly well and have bounced back from the opening day devestation 5-2 loss to Middlesbrough, since then we have gone on to win three games in a row 3-1 and are delighted with our attacking play considering we have Maynard and Donaldson still to come back upfront and not to forget Duffy whos yet to play with us. The lad is about a month two months away still with Dono and Mayns about a month away so we will have options going forward. Defensively we need to continue to work and try and get a clean sheet under the belt and that will take some pressure off. The lads are working hard and i believe we are getting close to that happening.

Our Opponents Palace are obviously looking to have another positive season in the Premier League, somewhere we eventually aim to be ourselves, they are a solid team with pace going forward and height from set plays, both of which we need to combat if we are to progress. Progression is or end goal here and we would take that any way we can, even if it means we have to go into extra time etc. We understand the task facing us but we believe the way we are playing and getting the crowd behind us we can cause problems and threats for them to look at.

We hope to put on a good performance and we will see how we fair against a premier league side, it should give us an idea where we are at."

Watch The game Live and Kick by kick ...
[video=youtube;ufPxDHAkVKk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufPxDHAkVKk&list=PL0mz1fUIAs9xgkgZt6XYbovr UoGYcar1D&index=3[/video]

Last edited:
E7 - WIGAN (a), DEADLINE DAY & LEEDS (h)

View attachment 330611
Gary Rowett has a busy 14 days on his hands, with his Birmingham side going to Wigan, his first deadline day and then back to St. Andrews for the visit of Leeds...

"Wigan are a classic example of how deceptive and tight this league is and will be this season, they find themselves in the bottom half but im sure they will end up right in the mix come the end of the season. We have had a great start but we must not let that slip now and strive to be better, we are looking to win our home games and get at least a draw away and that will help us move forward and see how far we can go.

In terms of deadline day we are still looking to strengthen the defence that has been made clear and highlighted and we will try to get someone in but we are on a budget and as you know have to sell to buy at the moment and may have to stay as we are and dont get me wrong im more than happy but wouldn't turn down the strength in numbers.

Then we are back at St.Andrews where we have been ace and that is for sure connected to the relationship with our fans. The support we have had has been amazing and we are getting St.Andrews rocking now, we just have to make sure we continue to give them something to shout about against a tough Leeds side looking to kick start their season."

Watch The games Live and Kick by kick ...
[video=youtube;zP2DXic4M78]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP2DXic4M78&list=PL0mz1fUIAs9xgkgZt6XYbovr UoGYcar1D&index=2[/video]

Last edited:
View attachment 329912
E8 - SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY (a) & NORWICH (h)

Gary Rowett Questioned on 6 game unbeaten run...

"Yes we are unbeaten in 6 championship matches but for us its about picking up points and if you look at the fact 1 win and 1 loss out of 2 games is 3 points, that is better than 2 draws and getting 2 points so we need to make sure we are looking at points rather than unbeaten matches.

We now have a match at home to Sheffield Wednesday who many expect us to win and we will look to win it but i dont want people getting carried away, we have a small budget here at the moment and we are in a 3 year plan to restructure the football club secure it and look to get us back to the Premier League. This doesnt happen in 3 months where we have a good start to a Championship season"

Watch The games Live and Kick by kick ...
[video=youtube;-n7AguxiM5E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n7AguxiM5E&list=PL0mz1fUIAs9xgkgZt6XYbovrUoGYcar1D &index=1[/video]

Last edited:
Brilliant videos so far, I'm on episode 3, and as a fellow bluenose I will deffo be following....just seen u missed out on Onyewu, why not utilize the link with Utd and try sign someone from their U21's or U18's...you wouldn't have to pay wages....

Awesome man !!! Im releasing episode 9 and 10 tomorrow hopefully (9 deffo) i have that link with utd but wish i hadnt now i looked and tbh not too impressed with what there is there to get its pretty much blackett or a young striker i dont need :/

View attachment 329266
E9 - FULHAM (h) & MILLWALL (a)

Gary Rowett After Match Press Conference

Press - "Gary Thoughts on the match? Must be hard to take"
Gary - "Yeah thats football i suppose the lad Olsson gets free on the left side and we allow him time to cross a ball, he crosses it the wind catches it and all of a sudden its in the back of the net in the 90th minute, we should have stopped the chance before the ball had a chance to make it into our box. Apart from that we played well and no one could have said we didnt deserve the point should we have got it."

P - "Gary, you knew it would be hard task when you took the job and thats 1 out of a possible 6 points now is it a case of getting your head down and the hard work starting now ?"
G- "In terms of hard work we have been doing that all season as shown by our good start. You cant win everygame in this league, you can try and thats what we aim to do. Im sure in the next few matches we will be back to ourselves and the only reason we lost today was because of last minute, no offence but fluke goal and norwich will take that as would we, whos to say we dont get one next week and take all three points. The main thing is performance and as long as we perform well we wont have to rely on luck"

ESPN Journalist - "Hi Gary your team are still up at the right end of the championship is that where you feel you will finish at the end of the season?"
G - "Hi mate whats your name sorry ?"
ESPN Journalist - "errr Mike"
G - "Hi Mike nothing personal but i wont be answering any Questions from ESPN after the press conference last week, your station asked two questions about Norwich and their manager, nothing to do with us. And then wrote that the pressure was getting to me? No your colleague was getting to me with a poor line of questioning, so thanks for coming but i wont be answering your questions"

SkySports Journalist - "Hi Gary i think our questions have been fair so il try my luck... How are you feeling going into next weeks home game against Fulham, they havent had the best of starts coming down from the Premiership?"
G- "HAHAHA yeah your ok haha dangerous asking about Fulham after that, just kidding na urm we are obviously looking to get back to winning ways at St.Andrews and get our fans sucking the ball into the goal something similar to today you know if you get 10,000 people behind the goal like Norwich did today the ball might just catch the air and go in hahaha but seriously yeah they are still a good side with Premier league experience, they havent had to sell players and in fact bought a pretty big one in McCormack in the summer so that shows their ambition and we will be looking to combat their qualities but we give them enough to think about as well"

Press Officer - "Thats the last question thanks for coming"
G - "See you later guys thanks !"
GARY'S SIDE FACE FULHAM AT HOME BEFORE A TRIP TO MILLWALL AT THE DEN, WATCH IT ALL LIVE HERE -
[video=youtube;4US9lOWMhP8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4US9lOWMhP8[/video]

Last edited:
E10 - BUMPER EPISODE - 4 MATCHES

View attachment 328604

Birmingham Mail - Manager Watch
Gary Rowett took over Lee Clark at the start of the season, after Birmingham survived on the last day of the season coinciding with the new club MD Pavos Pavlakis ended up in the managerial change. Gary's start has been more impressive than Clark's bringing back a sense of home pride playing at St.Andrews and that is reflected by rowett winning two home games in three at the start of the season compared to it taking Clark over 20 home games to notch up 2 wins on their own patch.

Since then Birmingham have continued their good start slightly less consistently one week theyre brilliant, one they dont turn up, but as Rowett says he would rather win 1 out of two and get 3 points rather than draw 2 and get 2 points. This points to a more attacking style which could be the reason for the inconsistency.

Blues fans are more than happy with their new manager and hope the revival continues. Rowett bought in a few players all of whom are hits with the fans - Spearing and McLeod in particular have been massive. There is also talk of Zigic coming back on a free at 10% of the wages he was on before which would be massive coup should Rowett pull it off.

SHOULD BLUES SIGN ZIGIC ? CAST YOUR VOTE NOW !!! -
[url]http://strawpoll.me/2988210​
[/URL]

Going forward Blues now see themselves playing 4 teams all within 6 points of them. This could really set the tone for the rest of the season.

YOU CAN WATCH HOW THE MONTH PANS OUT FOR THE MIDLANDS OUTFIT LIVE HERE -
[video=youtube;ITf0jCEMYdw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITf0jCEMYdw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Add me on steam mate, dean_bcfc...would love to chat more!!
Loving this season so far aswell mate, the videos are brill.

Rowett Returns E11
View attachment 327209
DING DONG DERBY
Its time for the big one ! Rowett's men take on Wolves in the big midlands derby at the Molineux Stadium. Garys thoughts on the game and what it means to the city.

"This is out big one, Wolves away. The fans are up for it and so are we the coaching and playing staff, i have played in a few of these games for Blues and having lived in the city i know the importance of winning them for bragging rights. Wolves have had a topsy terby time of it after back to back relegations they have come back stronger and people have expected more from them this season but what i see is a well organised team with talent. They have the likes of Sako, Dikho, Edwards, the list goes on but so do we, we have had a few results people consider not to be positive in recent matches but we have confidence and a team spirit, these games can kick start your season. We are flirting with the playoff spots at the moment and we know a good run can put is really in contention, however a bad set of results can see us quickly move down places, this league is so tight at the moment.

Dave Jones has taken over there and hes a good guy but hes trying to get under our skins, he knows what we bring to the table and i take the immature comments as a sign of respect weirdly enough. He is trying to make us doubt ourselves but our league position speaks for itself and so does theirs, we will see after the game i suppose"

Honest speaking Rowett takes his side to Wolverhampton on Saturday at 12.15 in the live game on Sky!
You can watch it here live !
[video=youtube;c34yKZLkb8E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c34yKZLkb8E&feature=youtu.be[/video]

E12 - Double Upload
View attachment 710076
Flirting with the playoffs

Club Watch - Birmingham City
Birmingham City have surprised alot of people this year and there is no sign of them going away anytime soon. After a massive win on the tele against Wolves they now look to push on a make a playoff spot their own. We asked Gary what his key to success has been.

"Well first of all we havent achieved anything yet. We are in a good position, a position many people didnt expect us to be but we play our stuff, nice football keep it on the deck and we build from a solid base. We have been lucky in that our recruitments although we know had the quality have stepped in and fitted in which is why we have done alot of work in making sure the characters in the squad are the right sort of personalities."

There has been alot of backroom staff changes in the last week is their a reason why ?

"When we came in me and my Burton staff we gave everybody a chance and we want to work from the bottom up. We tried to keep people here that know the club and work hard for it which we have. The people that have left have been great but we have people that i know and know what they bring to the table. I want us to have a solid youth setup here and that what we are moving towards with the board agreeing to enhance the youth set up and we now have a great guy Henry in charge of our Youth Development
"

Many feel the clubs fortunes this season rely on having a good January not loosing star players and pushing on in the second half of the season. But in the long run Blues fans will love to see that Gary is looking at a future not just a now.

Blues coming month sees them playing against teams all who play in red, so can they overcome 4 trips to devils lairs?
Watch it all live here !
[video=youtube;qj2-zX3t5dY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj2-zX3t5dY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

E13 - BUSY CHRISTMAS PERIOD
View attachment 326577
Reading, Huddersfield, Derby & Nottingham Forest
Birmingham like all other sides in England have a typically hectiv christmas schedule with championship matches coming thick and fast. The blues go to ex Premier League clubs Derby, Forest and Reading, alongside an aspiring Huddersfield side. We asked Gary Rowett his Opinion on having christmas breaks.

"Yeah everyone on the continent is winding down for a break but for us it becomes one of the most important and busiest periods, we have the Derby and Forest games in 3 days (one days rest between matches) so thats where it becomes tough and injuries get picked up, were also at the sort of time suspensions start to top up so strength of squad is key. And then of course January where we will of course look to be active although we arent sure our situation in terms of club ownership so after that gets sorted out we can look at where we are, what we need and how we go about it"

You can see Birmingham's lead up to Christmas here - LIVE - ​[video=youtube;YY9KvHAyqso]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY9KvHAyqso&feature=youtu.be[/video]

E14 - FA Cup and Staying with the Playoff Pack
View attachment 325379

SkySports done a January special going around every Championship club for a snipit mini documentary for their anytime feature, asking their thoughts on the coming month, heres Gary Rowett's transcript.

"Well its another big month we have a big game in the FA Cup which we want to go as far as we can in so we will be looking to beat Cambridge and see what happens and in terms in the league we have to try and pick up some points and steady ourselves in the playoffs and hope we can get promotion via the playoffs.

Im sure by thoughts on January you meant signings so il tell you what im happy to digress, I feel we are a bit of a sell to buy club at the moment but saying that we dont have to sell anybody and we wont unless we feel it is the right move for us. I have 3 or 4 players i want to sign whether that happens now or in the summer is yet to be seen."

SEE HOW BLUES GET ON HERE LIVE !
[video=youtube;I1e4wNdUSr0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1e4wNdUSr0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

E15 - Back to Winning Ways ?
View attachment 714590

Meet and Great with Rowett

"In the coming 4 matches my aim is to get this side back to winning ways. We have recently fell out of the playoffs and as that looks our only way of promotion (automatic not an option) we need to get back in there and get back in the mix. January is coming to an end and we look to secure some crucial players that can push us there come May and possibly push us to the Premier League!

We are delighted with how our season has gone so far, i expected a tough season consolidating but have found our selfs near the top of the Championship and now we are here expectations have risen and we want to take this advantage and get ourselves to where we want to go!

This is a fan day we are calling out all blues fans to come watch, support and help us reach our goal, The Premier League!"

Watch Live Here -
[video=youtube;TgHey0FtBOE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgHey0FtBOE[/video]

E16 - The Push Is On
View attachment 324810

Birmingham Mail - Gary it seem like long ago i was sitting here asking you how you are going to get your birmingham side back to winning ways?

Gary - Well yeah exactly you lot are always giving me a hard time (haha) but yknow i always believed in us and as i said i fully thought we would put things together and get firing again.

Mail - Any key to doing that?

Gary - Umm not really hard work and we tinkered with a few things tactically and worked on set pieces and some new lads come in keep the competition up and we have a bunch that are gelling nicely

Mail - The fans love you here and no one expected blues to be doing this well, even at the start of the season people were saying you will drop off, how far do you think you can go

Gary - i think we can do it, get to the Prem, whats the point in being here if we dont even believe it, we get a run together and push get in these playoffs or possibly never know go one better automatic, i think we can and the fans deserve us to go for it and give them everything we have got. We have Middlesbrough next and lets see how we compare to them, lets give them a game and see where it leaves us !

Mail - Thanks Gary

Gary - No probs

You can see how Gary's Blues get on here - LIVE -
[video=youtube;5MfmY_ZY0Tg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MfmY_ZY0Tg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

E17 - WWWWWWW
View attachment 323254

Short Sharp Questions for SkySports Vox Pop Interview

Can you get promoted?
Yes

Did you think you could at the start of the season?
Thought it would be very difficult

Can you beat the clubs records wins in a row of 13 set in 1893?
Pffff very very difficult (haha) we will try

Would you like to manage a big club one day?
No im very happy at Blues

West Ham were interested earlier in the season, thoughts?
Flattered but no thanks

What do you think about the ownership?
I get on well with them but its messy at the top

Is Carson Yeung still pulling the strings?
I literally cant say because i dont know

Blues fans love you here after what happend last year staying up on the last day, to this year being close to automatic promotion, any leaving thoughts for them?
I just want them to know i know how tough last year was and we have tried to identify areas to strengthen and i feel we have done well and we are still a young team developing so mistakes happen but if we stick together who knows what we can achieve !

Well Blues are close to that 13 game consecutive win record set in 1893, they are on 7 wins so far, can they do it ?
Watch it live !
[video=youtube;10v8bvOY3ZA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10v8bvOY3ZA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

E18 - Squeaky *** Time
View attachment 322876
Theres been a breathe of fresh air this year around St.Andrews and Gary Rowett and the Birmingham City’s cake just needs its Icing. Blues find themselves just sitting outside the Automatic promotion positions and are pushing towards Forest who currently hold the mantel.

Birmingham’s season is all down to a solid midfield, which has been missing in the last couple of weeks. The two signings of Spearing and McLeod have seen blues’ rise through the league steered by the charismatic Rowett. He was very keen to keep a stiff lip in the build up to the end of season as expected, we respect that and we look to leave him to it as he tries to drive blues out of their last 3 defeats in a row, but with Forest slipping aswell, if neither of them get it together we could see Norwich sneak in .

There is also talk of a renewed takeover bid by the Wrays but where have the blues fans heard that before but of course the cautious optimism that Blues fans had earlier in the season is now worthy of real optimism as talk of a takeover and promotion, one feels if you had said that at the Reebok, last game of last season with Blues 2-0 down and looking at league one, you would have been laughed (if they could have mustered one) out of the ground. But as we all know blues pulled it back to 2-2, stayed up and now are on the verge of a return to the Premier League.

You can see how Blues get on here LIVE -
[video=youtube;QdaEappux7I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdaEappux7I&feature=youtu.be[/video]

E19 - Last 4 Matches !
View attachment 322703
So we are well and truly into the run in and Birmingham are the team that currently hold that 2nd​ automatic promotion position on goal difference. They do have the hardest run in however playing 3 sides in and around the playoff positions, making Forest slight favorites.

As expected non of the managers have much time to speak to the press but Birmingham Mail did manage to get a few words out of Gary Rowett.

“Well we have taken it for a matter of time its whether that matter of time is long enough to see us to the end of the season. It’s the perfect time to peak as we hold it with 4 games to go but we have a noticeably harder run in than Forest or Norwich for that matter so we cant afford to drop points.

Our initial aim for the season I was told was to avoid relegation and that’s no easy feet look at the likes of Fulham who are really struggling and we had the same thing last year. Our reevaluation was playoffs and we have secured them so that’s amazing, I don’t want people getting carried away and disappointed if we don’t make automatic we need everyone to rally around and as long as we go up that’s all that matters !”

So Gary inevitably trying to keep the pressure of his players but the pressure is rising and the city is buzzing, its sure that St. Andrews will be rocking come game day.

You can see how blues get on here LIVE -
[video=youtube;x2BGD0mxqGI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2BGD0mxqGI[/video]

E20 - The Playoffs
View attachment 321739So the time has arrived. It’s the playoffs for Birmingham City after the bitter disappointment of the final day missing out on automatic promotion to Nottingham Forrest by 2 points. Had Birmingham have won on the final day of the season they would have drawn level on points with Forest who also drew and they would have gone up on goal difference, but it wasn’t to be and they now face Watford in the Playoffs.

How important that late goal was at Bolton on the final day has now been realized though, had Birmingham have lost the game 1-0 they would have finished level on points with Watford, due to the tight nature of the Championship. This would have meant that Watford had the better goal difference and would have leap frogged the Blues into 4th​ Place meaning the second leg was at Watford not at Blues (a supposed advantage in the playoffs is to play the second leg infront of your home fans). Something Blues know well having used this method to get through the Carling Cup Semi-Final over two legs against West Ham in 2011 when they won the competition.

This season has been full of twists and turns and Birmingham have been the surprise package, expected to finish in 22nd​ position at the start of the season ends with them in 4th​ and Gary Rowett talked about the importance of putting the season behind them and concentrating on the Playoffs.

“Well we have played 46 games to get us into a position to have a chance to play another 2 to earn us the right to play for the Premier League. This for both clubs is the biggest game of their seasons and the one after will be and the one after will be aswell. I feel in the playoffs you will definitely play two games if you play three you have had a shot and that’s our aim, we want a shot.

I have talked to the players we have worked all season for this and yes it was disappointing we coudnt take care of our own result at Bolton the way things went but we still have that shot at the moment and we have to work to keep it. Like you said we have the fans in the second leg and the place will be rocking and this is massive for everyone.

We would like to thank the fans for their support this season and want them to know when the lads pull on the famous blue and white in both legs they will be giving everything to get s back to where we belong”

You can see if Blues can make it back the Premier League here – LIVE -
[video=youtube;T-lf7Alyl_A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-lf7Alyl_A&feature=youtu.be[/video]