wr1097

Reaction score
Having been inspired by Lippo's story, C.J. Lippo, A life in football., I decided to start one of my own.

Giving my player a CA of 75 and a PA of -8, with his manager preference set at 20, and all attributes randomised, I hope my player has a successful career!

I will also be following his life as a manager, if he should choose to go down that path.

Wish him luck, fellas!

Please Welcome.....Ruben Rodrigues

Having been born in India's former Portuguese colony of Goa to a Portuguese businessman who had married an Indian woman, my early years were spent in watching my local team, Dempo, compete for glory in the Indian League. I was never really drawn to Indian football, but unfortunately, I knew I'd have to start in my hometown to have any chance at a career in football.

View attachment 249122

View attachment 249121

I fancied myself as an out-and-out striker whenever my friends and I played on the streets, and that's where I lined up in my first trial for Dempo. The coaches must have seen something in me because they approached my family with a 2-year youth contract and a chance to make a name for myself in India. Without any hesitation, I signed on the dotted line and in July that same year, I found myself traveling 5 miles down the road to Dempo's training centre.

What does the future hold for me? Only time will tell.

Hopefully injuries wont ruin rubens career like CJ. *fingers crossed*

Love your starting point as well. Developed quite a soft spot for Dempo earlier this year!

Good luck with it

Love your starting point as well. Developed quite a soft spot for Dempo earlier this year!

Good luck with it

Unfortunately for myself, I've never really taken to Indian football. Maybe it's because I was exposed to the Premier League first :p

September 2014

View attachment 249107

I heard a slight crack as I jumped for the ball. This could only mean trouble. The team doctor told me I wouldn't be able to train for 2 months. My first injury, and it would have an even greater consequence.

View attachment 249106

I had been thrilled when I received the call. I hadn't played a single minute of professional football. Come to think of it, I hadn't done anything but trained since signing on for Dempo. So when Hilal Rasool, head coach for India's Asian Games team, had called me up, I was quite surprised. I vowed to put in extra effort in training in the build-up to the tournament, but I guess I over-exerted myself. It serves me right, I suppose.

I will, of course, be traveling to South Korea to support the rest of the squad.

Disappointment....and a debut

Our Asian Games campaign, which I was not a part of, did not go exceptionally well, with the team being knocked out in the Second Round against the Chinese. I, however, was still waiting in the wings for my debut.

View attachment 249085

It finally came on a wet, windy evening at the start of the new year in the Federation Cup against East Bengal. I came on for the injured Tolgay and unsurprisingly, I was nervous. With just less than 300 people in attendance, my debut game seemed to go by without notice. Which is good, for I don't think my heart was really in that game.

Let's hope things get better as we move forward.

A Loan So Soon?

View attachment 249045

It's now March and in the midst of the U-22 Qualifiers Tournament, I received a call from the Dempo manager, Khalid Jamil, who told me that I'd be moving to Bharat FC, based in Pune, on a short-term loan. Hopefully, this will give me more first-team experience.

Unfortunately, the Indian team failed to qualify for the AFC U-22 Championship, having missed out on a spot due to goal difference. I do have 4 appearances and a nice hat-trick against Pakistan U22 to show for my efforts, though.

Towards the End

Dempo attempted to strike a new deal with me, but I turned down their offer. They were going down and I did not want to go down with them. I would probably be without a club, but there was no way I was going to play in a lower division.

View attachment 248601

View attachment 248600

On the other hand, I have received a call-up to the Indian team. I could be in line to win my first cap soon, and although I had first waited to see if I could get a move to Europe and play for Portugal, I could not turn down the chance to play for my country.

View attachment 248598

I would have thought you would wait for portugal NT to come calling but kudos to ruben for picking india.

End of Season One

I think I can say the season ended on a relatively good note. I came on at half-time in a World Cup Qualifier against Brunei, and I can proudly say I scored the winner, although I had to be taken off before the game was over.

View attachment 248519

View attachment 248518

My first season at Dempo was - in a word - uneventful. I played well for the Under-18s, but failed to stamp my credentials as a first team player.

View attachment 248517

View attachment 248516

The loan to Bharat FC helped in some ways, as I scored my first ever goal in a competitive game against local rivals Pune FC. However, an injury ruled me out for the rest of the season and I had to return to Dempo, having played only 3 league games for the club.

View attachment 248515

With Dempo going down at the end of the season, I wonder what the future holds for me.

Season Two : A Lesson in Obscurity

My youth contract with Dempo meant that I would have to stay with them and be forced to play in the 2nd division. No club came calling in the summer. I went on great runs of goalscoring, but every time I added to my tally, I asked myself : "Do any of them really matter?"

View attachment 248146

View attachment 248145

The Indian national team hovewer, provided a much better experience. We jumped forty places to be ranked 118th in the world, and although we eventually missed out on World Cup Qualification, we can be proud of our efforts.

I must admit that I have not progressed as I hoped I would in these two years. Am I destined to play in India forever? When I first signed for Dempo, I thought it was a pathway to bigger and better things.

Again, only time will tell.

Following, as a lusophone I have to support this ;)
Though luck with Dempo though.

A 2nd season in the lower leagus surely has done no harm, Especially when your pinging in that many goals! Hopefully 3rd season will be at a higher ranked team and you can carry on your goal scoring form!

Hey, guys. I simmed this for a while. Rodrigues leaves at the end of the 3rd season as Dempo go down yet again, and there is never any interest to sign him. So he eventually retires.

I'm afraid this career is dead as I don't want to do anything to tamper with the player.

Hopefully, I'll be starting another one with a different nationality soon. Please look forward to that. :D