The Icelander

Reaction score
I have this amazing regen and he could well be in my first team squad but he is only 18 so I am afraid that if I play him regularly his potential might get ruined. Will it?

The more first team exposure, the better young players get. No way will you ruin him.

I'm just guessing here, but I guess that the problem with overplaying youngster is that they are not fully grown, and thus they are weaker and may get very tired and lose determination and ambition.

i'd play him mainly as sub and cup game starts kinda, and bring him in more and more as he improves :)

They tired quicker than older players but if you play them, they will turn good. First team football is a lot better than letting them rot in the reserves.

I agree with Eddie Money, use him mainly as a sub, and maybe start him against the weaker sides and cup games.

Play him but only 20-30 appearances until he is maybe 19 or 20.

two reasons.

1- it is ture he will possibly get burnt out by the time he is 23 or 24 and peak to early and it will be to the detriment of his ability
2- by the time he is 24 or 25 and you have played him regularly there is a good chance he will start to lose ambition at your club and request to move as he feels he needs a new challenge.this has happened a few times with regens with me even if my club are one of their favourites.i don't know if its just by chance or related but i think if he is 18 send him on loan for a season and usually abroad to like spain or somewhere , i have found that its really good doing this and when they come back the next season play them in a rotation role for that season then when he is 20 he can be a first team player.

Gradually introduce him to the first team, don't burn him out but tbh send him on loan .