Rumour: Next gen Xbox to have no used games.

Joel`

Reaction score
Rumor has it the
next-generation Xbox
may limit exactly what kind of games you're allowed to play. According to sources speaking to
Kotaku
, the Xbox 360's successor will have some kind of anti-used-game enforcement. There's no explanation of what that means, but speculation surrounding the issue says the console could outright reject used-games altogether.

Online passes
are a recent staple in staving off used sales. Limiting what used buyers can access is a protective measure for publishers, much to the chagrin of parts of the gaming community. Chris Kohler of
Wired
argues that the death of used games is inevitable, and passes are the first step toward something exactly like a native anti-used game
somethingintegrated into consoles. He notes, of course, that digital is the future of buying games, but in the meantime we may be looking at "an interim period in which the disc as a delivery method is still around but...becomes more like a PC game, which are sold with one-time-use keys that grant one owner a license to play the game on his machine."

For all we know, if this is legitimate, such a theoretical link between a Gamertag and new game would simply negate the need for online pass redemption codes in every game. This alleged feature comes alongside talks that the Xbox 3 will also turn to
blu-ray for its primary format.

Report: No Used Games on Next Xbox - Xbox360 News at IGN

--
​They serious? Hope it's not true.

will this stop people making copyied games then or will people still have a way in doing this

This would be ******* annoying. I'd probably just end up buying 2/games a year max (Fifa as I know I will play it year round and only other big games like Skyrim)

I really hope this is wrong. The online pass thing they have now is a pain in the **** as it is!

Well in that case they can shove it-point blank refuse to even consider buying it. They forget that the majority of people right now, and in the near future, cannot afford to pay the stupid price for a brand new game and rely on the used games market, and nor would they be able to purchase new games in the near future. Microsoft will lose customers. Balls now firmly in Sony's court if true.

Doubt it, this only really works if Sony do the same, otherwise you push many players away

Hope this isn't true. Wasn't there also rumours that the next xbox was going to be a tablet version?

A ton of rumours going around at the moment, don't think this is true at all. Although it does make some sense though as the publishers and developers get no money from used game sales.

Also the rumours that the next Xbox will have a graphics card similar to a HD6670 - lol.

What with all those font changes, I read the OP in a bit of a GLaDOS voice.

Will be wank if it is true.

would be a horrible move, surely not true

so...gamefly would be livid as the rent market would be destroyed.

but I don't see why it would be horrible if Xbox had it's version of "Steam".

Get online and buy your games and download them immediately. No going to stores, no middle man costs (Paying video game stores an extra $10)

so...gamefly would be livid as the rent market would be destroyed.

Get online and buy your games and download them immediately. No going to stores, no middle man costs (Paying video game stores an extra $10)
large number of people like to rent/ borrow from friends before they fork out for a new game. Would reduce sales significantly I believe

They have their version of Steam and so do the PS3. But if you're hoping for Steam style prices then that's simply not going to happen, there's a reason why Steam has low prices and sales and it's because of something that doesn't exist on the consoles - Competition.

Sony and Microsoft have the monopoly on their respective consoles, is a game or some DLC too expensive? Tough.

I didn't know you could buy full titles on Live

but I haven't used it in 2 years...

I think this is because of the GeoHOT thing. Dude found a way of reversing the PS3 engine (whatever that may mean), allowing him to chip/homebrew it. Now he is being prosecuted by Sony. Which, imho, is stupid as ****, obviously big (and any other company) Companies don't want to lose money, but once you buy something, you're entitled to do whatever you want with it. It's YOURS. In the end it all comes down to: you bought it, you spent your money on it, you can do what you decide to with it; while on the other hand, you may be breaking some Laws&Agreements inherent to buying a PS3 (I don't own one, or an Xbox. Have been boycotting Consoles since the Dreamcast project failed).

Went off-topic, so, uhm.. maybe Microsoft is trying to avoid it?

Actually that's not totally correct...the xbox you buy is your property, but the software is Microsoft's property - as well as the motherboard setup etc.

At it's simplest..you just lease an xbox since what you have is a box, everything inside it is yours, but you cannot duplicate it, or use it to create a similar circuit etc.

All you need to do is vote with your money :)

Or your parents', as the case is for Xbox;)