Desmond91

Reaction score
I do not know if you noticed, but the setting of the "runs from deep produces two effects:

1) The return of the player on the defensive:
For example if you setting on a striker the slide to "RARELY", you will see the player ,when not in possession phase, go back in their own half to mark the opponent.
This doesn't happen if you set the slide on "OFTEN" or "SOMETIMES"

2) The vertical movements of players: thus the frequency of movements of a player.

My problem is as follows:
My tactic is based on continuous vertical movements off the ball (RUNS FROM DEEP OFTEN) but I also want everyone back on defense to recapture the ball (RUNS FROM DEEP RARELY)

How should I set the setting?

(sorry for my english)

The run from deep only dictates how frequent he will take a run forward. When the player has taken a run, then he will naturally be less likely to track back if feeling he is too far away from the opponent and the ball. Here, its where the mentality comes in. The higher it is, the more likely he is to perform the attacking duties ( t-ball, run with ball, run from deep) more often and ignore his defenisve duties ( close down). The lower his mentality, the more likely he will be to perform the defenisve duties ( close down) more often and ignore his attacking duties ( t-ball, run with ball, run from deep.

If the player has a really high closing down setting, this might also be the reason why they dont run back and take their initiall position on the field ( after having taken a run forward and lost posession) as they instead try to close a player higher up in the field.

So how can i do?
low mentality and runs from deep often(or viceversa) or what else?

So how can i do?
low mentality and runs from deep often(or viceversa) or what else?

Well, it all depends on how you play the game, your formation and strategy. Some teams( in real life) play really, really defensive with almost all players behind the ball and this I would in FM be the defend strategy. Here, we will track back more often. If wanting to playmore attacking, then thiese advanced players wont track back as its the nature of the strategy.

So, how do you play in your approach ?

I play like 343 barca's style.
i want that the 2 inside strikers come back to recapture the ball but i also want that they move into channels!

I play like 343 barca's style.
i want that the 2 inside strikers come back to recapture the ball but i also want that they move into channels!

What strategy ? ( also, what is 343 Barca style?)

Offensive strategy.
barca even play with 3-4-3, strategy and philosophy are the same of classic 4-3-3

Well, then you need to reconsider. Using 3 players in the attack and playing Attack, they won't track back. You would need to play more players in the AM- strata and play more cautious, just like Barca do in real life. I.fewer attackers and with lower mentality am the hassle shout.

Last edited:
I use classic tactic then i can't use shout :/
What do you mean with " AM-strata" ?