db12

Reaction score
It's coming.

The immense flame, rises today 24th May 2016, at 12 noon.

View attachment 149670

Can I guide Benfica to becoming Kings of Europe relying solely on my academy and current squad of players?

Last edited:
Guess my teaser didn't gather much interest...ah well it's 12 noon so let's get this show on the road!!

Firstly this is my first attempt at a story here on FM Base. I've recently finished Uni allowing me to finally give in and return to Football Manager

Breaking News
Fans outrage as
Rui Vitória replaced by unknown Irish Man
View attachment 149620

In a shocking turn of events Benfica manager Rui Vitória has been sacked and replaced by unknown Irish man Dylan Bates. Bates has represented his country at national level and recently retired from playing at 23 years of age due to a ruptured ACL to his trusty left foot and after a poor surgery has been forced into retirement. Coaxed over to sunny Portugal by SLB director João Gabriel, the fans took to the streets in protest as Bates was unveiled to an empty Estádio da Luz stadium.

Speaking to the media for the first time Bates promises that he will utilise the fantastic facilities and youth academy and made a very strong vow not to buy any players and solely rely on what he described as "the fantastic supply of talent" available to him. See below our own research into Bates, Benfica and the demands of the board at SLB.

View attachment 149619View attachment 149618 View attachment 149617

With the fans already on his case will Bates be able to return Benfica to the top table with Champions League success relying only on his academy? We look forward to seeing his progress in the coming months.

Last edited:
Exclusive
First Interview with new Benfica manager Bates

Interviewer: Welcome to Lisbon Dylan, Can you describe how you felt walking into an empty
Estádio da Luz amid all the protesting among supporters of this great club?
Thank you very much. It was quiet a surreal feeling walking into an empty stadium after negotiating through the streets avoiding flares and missiles from the supporters, but when I held that Benfica shirt and the traditional eagle perched itself beside me I knew this is a place where magical things can be achieved.

You certainly seem confident in your abilities. What would be your goals you wish to achieve here at Benfica?
I'm very confident in what I can achieve here at Benfica. Confidence is infectious and I would be hoping my new squad would share my confidence and have it grow. In terms of goals, obviously I wish to absolutely dominate the domestic scene winning every competition we enter, I will also be monitoring our B and U19 squads and aiming for them to win every competition they enter. Europe however is where I will need to leave my marker if I am to be deemed a success here at Benfica. We haven't competed in a Champions League final since 1990 and the last success was the great Benfica squad of '61 and '62 with club Icon Eusebio. My goal is to create a squad capable of going down in history like that great team and create Icons like Eusebio for our supporters.

All very interesting Dylan. You say you wish to create club Icons and have vowed not to sign any players during your time here. Surely there are areas where you simply have to purchase a player to improve your squad?
I have made a promise to the board that I will be very responsible with finances and this does indeed involve no purchasing of any players. We have some amazing talents here already and there are some amazing youth prospects here that can have long and successful careers and be mentioned in the same breadth as the late and great Eusebio.

Can you give us an insight to these talents you are talking about?
Obviously club captain Luisao, Nico Gaitan and Jonas spring to mind to most supporters around the world as being world class talents here at Benfica. We have veteran internationals like Julio Cesar, Mitroglou, Samaris, Eliseu and Fejsa but we also have some amazing talent available to the squad. Renato Sanches is probably the hottest prospect in world football at the moment, we have the young Grimaldo lad from Barcelona, Guedes is an exciting winger and there's a young striker Ze Gomes who all have the potential to lead this squad to glory and before you ask yes if you're good enough you're old enough.

You seem to know your squad well already. Are there any changes planned? Can you tell us about your tactical outlook?
I have already met with the coaching staff and some of them will be leaving to improve the quality of sessions, I will also be looking at the youth setup to try improve the coaching there too. As for tactics I will favour a 4-2-3-1 formation but will have variants of it which involve attacking football and pressing and I also have a structured 4-4-2 when the challenge presents itself.

Thank you for your time Dylan. We wish you all the success in the coming months. Forca Benfica.
Ha ha. Thank you, it's been a pleasure

There you have it folks the first interview with new Benfica Manager Dylan Bates. We have dug into what he mentioned and carried out our own research into the players and tactics mentioned.

Star Players

Youngsters

Squad, Coaching and Tactics.

Pre Season

Pre season was a jammed packed affair for my senior, B and U19 squad as I jammed in as many fixtures as possible.
View attachment 149544

Our U19 teams were also busy with a hectic schedule and Ze Gomes really was impressive.
View attachment 149534

Overall things have began as positive as could be imagined. Heading into the League and Supertaça with a good run of form. The bookies have myself and Porto as favourites for the league and have an intriguing tie against Sporting Lisbon now in the Supertaça.

Go for it!

In my save i have Semedo, Guedes, Sanches and Bernardo Silva in my beloved United. Amazing players!!

Good luck my friend, I' ll be following this tread. Tricampeoes crl!

Good start mate. You're not going to sign any players at over the whole career or just this year? Be interesting if it was over the full career haha!

Good start mate. You're not going to sign any players at over the whole career or just this year? Be interesting if it was over the full career haha!

Good luck my friend, I' ll be following this tread. Tricampeoes crl!

Thanks for the support guys greatly appreciated. My save got corrupted so I'll be getting back to the battle against Sporting and providing an update.

The plan is a 5 year save with absolutely NO SIGNINGS!! Just to keep it interesting ;)

No signings, wow, I hope your youth intakes are really good

No signings, wow, I hope your youth intakes are really good

Me too!!! But there are some terrific talents already in the youth system so here's hoping some become world class!!

Benfica Claim Supertaca
Penalty trills as game bores

Benfica have claimed the Supetaca after a penalty shootout against bitter rivals Sporting Lisbon. In a cagey affair littered with yellow cards there was little to note of action in relation to football being played. Perhaps the most surprising moment was 16 year old Benfica lad Ze Gomes who found himself in the coveted number 9 shirt and on the bench following the sale of talisman Jonas who returned to Valencia after his €10 million release clause was triggered. The youngster was introduced shortly into the second half and showed glimpses of promise. That was the only highlight in normal time and extra time was larger uneventful until Luisao committed a professional foul to stop a certain goal and Benfica rode their luck and took the lottery of penalties. Carlos Mane was the unfortunate to miss after a good save by Julio Cesar in goal and youngster Ze Gomes made it advantage Benfica and another youngster making his debut Renato Sanches slotted home the winning penalty much to the delight of new manager Bates who hailed the local lads impact in midfield after the game and his delight at putting one over Sporting manager Jorge Jesus. Benfica CB Jardel was named MOTM and Jorge Jesus had little to say afterwards but admitted he was disappointed for the supporters. Full report below.

View attachment 148923View attachment 148922

Can Benfica build on this going into their opening 5 games of the new season?
View attachment 148919

This setup right here is my absolutely favourite way of palying, as I feel it chokes opponents. Would you be willing to share the tactic with us?

This setup right here is my absolutely favourite way of palying, as I feel it chokes opponents. Would you be willing to share the tactic with us?

There's my 2 main files. Nothing special in my opinion :) I let my assistant run general training, i put the players on individual schedules, let assistant do everything else.

Big update coming soon after five league games and first group game of the Champions League

Benfica begin on fire
Battling Bates begins with bang. Fans growing in faith.

View attachment 148632

Benfica have kicked off their season with an impressive 6 out of 6 competitive victories across the league and Champions League. Find below each report from the games.

P. Ferreira 0 - 4 Benfica
Benfica kicked off their league campaign with a visit to the Estádio da Capital do Móvel and a spirited P. Ferrerira team. Again Bates' commitment to youth was evident giving a first league start to youngster Ze Gomes who became Benfica's youngster player ever and the youngest player to play in the Premier Division. Benfica got the game off to a terrific start with Talisca scoring after 5mins and from then on it was one way traffic. The records seem to be falling by youngster Ze Gomes' feet as he became the youngest goalscorer in the clubs and leagues history on 27mins with a calm finish. Goals from the impressive Nico Gaitan and sub Raul Jimenez saw Benfica comfortable 4-0 winners with youngster Grimaldo picking up MOTM from left back with strong performances from Talisca,Gaitan, debutante Jorge Pereira and Semedo. Full report below.
View attachment 148631

Benfica 4-0 Arouca
Benfica's first home game saw a near full Estádio da Luz as they welcomed Arouca. The fans where in noisy form from long before kickoff with small pockets of fans airing their disapproval of new manager Dylan Bates. Again Bates stuck to a 4-2-3-1 formation with Ze Gomes again being trusted to lead the line after sale of talisman Jonas. Again the youngster was to the fore as he scored twice and picked up MOTM in what was a terrific performance by Benfica as a whole. Ze Gomes opened the scoring after 17mins, captain Luisao added a powerful header shortly after and another youngster Goncalo Guedes picked up his first senior goal on the stroke of half time and the Estádio da Luz was rocking. Ze Gomes added a second personal and fourth goal as Benfica cruised through the second half. Ze Gomes was the clear MOTM with strong performances again from Gaitan, Guedes and Renato Sanches who bossed midfield. Full report below
View attachment 148630

Nacional de Maderia 1-3 Benfica
The trip across to Maderia was made with the Benfica fans in good voice after 8 goals in their opening 2 games a sense of optimism was present that Bates was beginning to win over his doubters. The party atmosphere was in full swing after an unfortunate own goal from Sequeira who had to endure the taunts of the Benfica fans. Salvador Agra burst the Benfica bubble with a calm finish to level the match but the silence was short lived as a quick fire double from MOTM Gaitan had Benfica's supporters in full voice. The rather impressive stat from this match was the fact Benfica limited their opponents to 2 attempts for the 90mins, an area Bates seems to be keen on as it was evident from the opening 3 results. Gaitan picked up MOTM with strong performances from Semedo and another all action midfield performance from Renato Sanches. Full report below
View attachment 148629

Monthly accolades for Bates and Gaitan
Following their impressive opening to the league campaign scoring 11 goals and conceding just 1 Benfica player Nico Gaitan picked up Player of the Month for September with Benfica manager Dylan Bates picking up Manager of the Month.
View attachment 148628View attachment 148627

Benfica 1-0 Rio Ave
Following the free flowing opening performances Benfica found themselves in a real fight against a stubborn but well drilled Rio Ave side. In a game littered with fouls and cards it was Benfica who eventually prevailed thanks to a late goal from Goncalo Guedes. Benfica captain for the game Jardel set the tone for the game with a heavy foul after just 5mins and from then on the cards just kept coming with Benfica ending with 6 yellow cards. In his post match interview manager Bates simply said it was part of football that if you tackle hard and work hard you will pick up cards and he wasn't concerned at the discipline of his squad but more in the inability to convert more of the near 20 chances they carved out. He paid special credit to the supporters for remaining vocal throughout and was delighted to give them the win. Guedes picked up MOTM for his game winning goal with another good performance from Renato Sanches in midfield. Full report below
View attachment 148625

Champions League Draw
Benfica have been drawn against English sleeping giants Arsenal, Europa League kingpins Sevilla and Belgian side AA Gent in the Champions League Group Stage. Odds of 50-1 are available on the Portuguese champions Benfica and manager Dylan Bates thinks they have a terrific chance of progression to the knockout stages of the competition.

Benfica 1-0 AA Gent
The crowd made plenty of noise as Benfica kicked off their Champions League campaign against Belgian opponents AA Gent. The atmosphere was absolutely electric with the fans singing their approval of the current squad and heroes past. As the eagle landed on manager Bates' arm, a tradition he was keen to introduce to represent the teams rise, a sense of belonging was echoed throughout the stadium as Luisao led out his troops for action. In what proved to be a cagey affair played under the weight of expectation from the home support, it was Benfica who rose to the occasion with again super sub Goncalo Guedes proving his value with a late winner much to the delight of Bates and the 55 thousand plus support. In a game where Benfica just controlled the possession without creating any chance of note a bold change by manager Bates to pushing into a near 2-3-2-2-1 formation with his wing backs bombing forward leaving Luisao, Jardel and his anchor Samaris who had an excellent game in that role which allowed 5, 6 and on occasions 7 players bombing forward looking for a goal. To say it was a win at all costs affair is an understatement and afterwards Bates hailed his team for their commitment to pushing on and gaining a valuable first win in the competition. Nico Gaitan was excellent throughout and a worthy MOTM with strong performances from the right side of attack with Semedo complementing Gaitan and the before mentioned Samaris anchoring the team superbly. Full report below
View attachment 148615

Maritimo 2-6 Benfica
A return to league action after the midweek exploits in the Champions League saw Benfica travel to Maritimo in what proved to be a goalfest of a contest. Rewarded for his sub appearance and winner against Gent midweek Goncalo Guedes made the most of the chance with the opening goal after 11mins. An own goal and goal from the returning 16 year old Ze Gomes saw Benfica in total control and when Guedes added his second and teams fourth on 35mins it seemed to be curtains for Maritimo who clawed one back before Renato Sanches scored his first goal for the club and added a second after half time. At 1-6 Maritimo really had no answer and although they managed a second goal this really was an eyecatching performance by Benfica with youngsters Renato Sanches (MOTM), Goncalo Guedes and Ze Gomes really highlighting the managers insistence that the youth system available to him can create world class talents. Gaitan and Pizzi also impressed and looking forward to the next 5 fixtures can Benfica continue their form?
View attachment 148611

View attachment 148609
Looking forward to the next 5 league games, 3 champions league and Portuguese cup games we will be able to better gauge if Bates has really the skill and ability to manage an esteemed club like Benfica. We should also note the 0-0 draw against Fulham during the international break. Speaking to manager Bates he has insisted on these "International Friendlies" to ensure the majority of his team stay match fit while others are away on international duty.

i used Benfica,
They have lots of good young players like guedes , Ze Romes.
They are BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck