Sacrificing goals for a good decent

Seano

Reaction score
Edit: Title is meant to read good defence
Hey folks,
Started my first FM16 save with Accrington Stanley in League Two just for a bit of fun. They're one of the worse teams in the league and are tipped for relegation in the game. I've played around 18 games and i'm sitting 12th so i'm doing pretty decent, but like every Football Manager unless you're winning every match you're not happy.

I'm not scoring an awful lot of goals, despite having a rather attacking tactic and find myself having plenty of possession and very little movement in the opposition half. Most of goals come from out the right wing whipping corners in and the opposition winger usually tapping them in. I don't mind scoring from crosses, but i don't want to be relying on it as i don't have the best of strikers.

Here's my tactic:

--------------------------------Target Man(S)-------------------------

Inside Forward(A)----- Attacking Midfielder(S)-----Inside Forward(A)

------------------Centre Midfield(D)---Box-to-Box Midfielder(s)----------------

Full Back(D)------Centre Back(D)------Centre Back(D)----------Full Back(S)

---------------------------------GoalKeeper(D)

and my instructions:
Normal Tempo, Push Slight Higher , Prevent Short GK distribution , Retain Possession , Play Wide , Shorter Passing

PI's : Shorter Passing for everyone, Shoot less often for Wide players and midfielders and less risky passes for everyone.

Fluid Shape & Counter mentality.

I'm doing fairly well defensively, Most goals i concede come from long balls over the defenders but i'm fairly happy with my defence performance.

The problem is going forward, i'll post a screenshot of an example.
I did win in this example but just about. As you can see, i had majority of the possession throughout the match but only had 4 attempts on goal, i want to create more chances.

I understand my shorter passing and less risky passes are probably hindering this but i don't want to sacrifice too much of my defence at the same time.

Any suggestions? I'm willing to change roles and duties but i like the formation i'm using at the minute.
If you need any more info or screenshots then let me know and i'll supply them.

Last edited:
You've pointed it out yourself, your shorter passing, less risky passes AND retain possession instructions are all holding you back. Having all of these selected in team instructions as well as player instructions, you are essentially telling your team to keep hold of the ball at all times and not to look to be creative. This is most likely why you end up with crosses as your main form of assist. Your players are passing the ball to death until it eventually gets to a winger/full back who decides they've had enough of all that. Add all of this to the fact that you have the counter attacking setting selected and NO, your tactic is definitely nowhere near an attacking tactic as you've said in your OP. My only advice with this is to completely overhaul the tactic and not be afraid to have your players take risks in certain areas.

Ah i see.
I'll remove all possession based instructions and see how i get on in the next few games and gradually bring them in if needed.