mellowz

Reaction score
So the S A F challenge or 'Sir' Alex Ferguson challenge is to emulate (or beat) ole red nose himself.

Ideals (follow best as possible)

Aim to bring youth players through - Ferguson often focused on bringing youth through, notably in 1995 with the likes of Giggs, Beckham, Neville, Scholes, **** to name but a few, aka Fergie's Fledglings.
Persuade long term players to become part of your backroom staff and/or managers - Scholes, Solskjaer, Bruce, Keane, Berg, Ince, Robson, Hughes, Strachan, Blanc, Robins etc

Pass Criteria (If I miss 1 then I have failed)

- Holiday until November 6th - Ferguson took over Man United on Novermber 6th 1986
- Take over the team 2nd bottom in the Premiership - United were 2nd bottom when Fergie took over
- Stay at this one club - Ferguson stayed at United until 2013
- Win a domestic cup within 4 seasons - Ferguson won his first cup vs Crystal Palace in 89/90
- Win a league title within 7 seasons - Ferguson won his first title in 92/93
- Win a league and cup double within 8 seasons - Ferguson won his first double with United in 93-94
- Win a league, cup and Champions League within 13 seasons - Ferguson won the infamous treble in 98/99

Point Scoring

Domestic Cup - 5pts
League Title - 15pts
Europa League - 10pts
Champions League - 20pts

League Table

Ferguson – 280 points View attachment 232597

Marshall – 0 pointsView attachment 232596

Disclaimer:

I did not Invent this challenge THIS is where I got it from

Last edited:
Meet The Team

View attachment 232595

Aston Villa 19th​
Chuffed that I got Villa, pretty strong team with a good history and some pretty good young players
(Man U in the 80’s?)

Meet the Players

View attachment 232593View attachment 232592View attachment 232591

Good Squad again a lot of youth! Benteke obviously is the best player and he's about to regain fitness so good timing!
Also I was happy to discover there is no buyout in his contract so its up to me if I sell and how much for.

Formations

View attachment 232588View attachment 232587View attachment 232586

4-3-3 DM Wide is my favorite formation and with Benteke leading the line should be strong for Villa.
The middle formation will be a defensive/counter attacking one deployed against 'top' teams.
The final formation is the 'goal' but I don't think Villa will have the players to use it currently.

Fixtures

View attachment 232578

Well then looks like a baptism of fire to say the least, Man Utd, followed by midlands derby with West Brom, followed by Chelsea. Ouch. I'm going to optimistically aim for 4 Points.

A.O.B

View attachment 232583View attachment 232582View attachment 232590View attachment 232577

As you see Tim Sherwood kindly sold my best/most experienced defender Ron Vlaar.

Choice to be made by the summer whether to keep Tom Cleverly (at the moment I think I'd keep him)

Villa is reportedly going to be taken over! I have never been at a club that gets taken over so I will keep you updated.

I told Gabby that I was going to replace him but he asked me to give him another chance.... I obliged, we'll see how he goes for now.

1st Month Underway Wish me Luck!​

Last edited:
NOVEMBER

Position - 19th
=
Form - DLWLD
League Cup
-
4th Round
FA Cup
- N/A

New Signing!

View attachment 232549

I identified my weakness as AMR and I found a fantastic young player called Pione Sisto he is capable on the left but natural on the right, pace/acceleration and dribbling skills are his strengths but at 19 hopefully will develop into a world beater! January can't come soon enough.

Game 1 vs Man Utd

View attachment 232548

Hard first game but we came through it Bacuna hits a wonder free-kick in off the bar from 30 yards.
scraping a draw was made better as Sanchez made a horror tackle and got himself sent off early in the 2nd and then towards the end Baker picked up a 2nd yellow for a cynical challenge.

Disaster Strikes

View attachment 232547

Gutted, he just regained fitness went on international duty and got injured.... major blow

Missing Home

View attachment 232546

Gil is missing Spain but we have his position covered so i'll allow him some leave.

How much worse could this get

View attachment 232532View attachment 232531View attachment 232545

9 Players Unavailable (if you include slightly injured) of those 9 probably 9 are 1st 11 players

Game 2 - vs West Brom

View attachment 232544

The less said the better 2-0 down after 5 mins both times defenders getting out jumped/muscled for headers.

Game 3 - vs Chelsea

View attachment 232542

Great performance from the Villains again but disaster as Delph got injured.
Weimann pounced on an error from the Chelsea defenders to rescue the draw.

The Injury Crisis Gets Worse

View attachment 232540View attachment 232539

Month in Review

View attachment 232538

I failed the target of 4 points but got 2 big draws against top teams, unfortunately it leaves us squarely at the bottom of the league, major injury issues going forwards and I need to address these (somehow???)

Awards

View attachment 232537View attachment 232536View attachment 232535View attachment 232534

Only representative Villa have is Bacuna with his 30 yard free kick which earned him 3rd place in goal of the month.

Last edited:
DECEMBER

Position
- 20th
:(
Form - WLDDLD
League Cup
-
4th Round (Out)
FA Cup
-
3rd Round vs Coventry

The Takeover

View attachment 231581

YES PLEASE!! looks as though I'll be experiencing my first takeover sooner than expected! I hope the interest results in a formal bid

Happy Not Happy

View attachment 231580View attachment 231579

Benteke is happy again, I will attempt to re-sign him when I can but I want to make sure I can keep the minimum fee clause out or very high in the contract.
I've been here 3 games....... Bacuna wants more game time, AND his squad role is only rotation, I'm not too worried as he will play more often because Cleverly is a donkey! I most likely will not be taking up his option him as things stand.

Game 1 vs Sunderland

View attachment 231578

Huge win as it takes us off the bottom of the table! A great sequence of passes followed by a quick 1-2 and Cleverly caps off a lovely move with his first goal for Villa, I may have to rethink keeping him if he plays like this.
Andi Weimann pounces on a poor backpass from Coates to slot home an easy goal and wrap up the game.

Can't Play if your Injured....

View attachment 231577

Well I guess he won't be playing as much as I thought.

Another Day Another Injury

View attachment 231576

Another injury to a first 11 player! Cissoko's injury has identified a huge weakness in the squad, Left Back, other than him I have no natural Left Backs which is a problem as i have no money :'(

Game 2 vs Liverpool

View attachment 231575

Wow.... not in a good way. 3 Corners 3 goals for Liverpool, very poor from us, we got off to a flying start from Weimann and we got a consolation goal from Grealish. All in all thoroughly out classed.

FA Cup Draw 3rd Round

View attachment 231574

Happy with that, should be able to rest the 1st team and still get through, who knows might be able to put a bit of a run on, providing I don't keep getting these injuries.

Game 3 vs Gunners

View attachment 231573

Gunners are finding it hard this year but massive win (they finished with 9 men, wins a win)

Weimann Out!

View attachment 231572

3 Months... to be honest it's probably the last time he will play, Benteke is nearing full fitness and Kozak fits my game plan better. hopefully he retains some value and I can sell him at the end of the year.

Guess who's back, back again...

View attachment 231571

No, not shady, its Benteke but for how long...?

Yer I'd want to keep my job if they just gave me a month holiday as well.

View attachment 231570

Gil's back from his 1 month holiday, and he's back to stay. Didn't bring me anything back though...

Game 4 vs Leicester

View attachment 231569

Pretty eventful relegation game to be honest, no-one stood out and a draw was probably a fair result.

Takeover...over?

View attachment 231568

See pic not much else to say.

Game 5 vs Southampton

View attachment 231567

If I was given a 1-1 draw with no injuries or suspensions at the start of the game I'd have taken it but we were the slightly better team and we should have gotten 3 points.

Takeover Continues

View attachment 231566View attachment 231565

Not looking good folks, I really hope they just resolve it one way or another because I'm going to try to loan someone for left back but with a transfer embargo I can't do anything! (does it affect already agreed deals? eg. Sisto?)

Game 6 vs Hull

View attachment 231564

Need goals from somewhere! this is not good enough. My hopes are really on Sisto to produce something because Benteke, I know he's not fit, isn't producing!

YAY!.... Awww....:(

View attachment 231563

Still had hopes they'd sort it out but alas it wasn't to be.

Month in Review

View attachment 231562View attachment 231561View attachment 231560View attachment 231559

At the end of this month I feel like my tactics are not really working so will review in the new year. Highs and lows, of winning against Arsenal and losing against Hull and Liverpool, I think if i wasn't in the relegation zone then it would be a good month, but we need to do better.

Glad little hippy crack Jack got 2nd in young player of the month and Weimann gets to watch his 3rd placed goal of the month on MOTD whilst nursing his torn hamstring.

Bring on January.

Last edited:
Finished 1st season in game so bigger updates coming

JANUARY

Position - 19th=
Form - LWDDL
League Cup
-
4th Round
FA Cup
-
3rd Round vs Coventry

Yearly Awards

View attachment 230977View attachment 230976View attachment 230975View attachment 230974

No real surprises here (Geis getting golden boy)

Sisto Signing

View attachment 230973

Phenomenal signing here, potential to be one of the best in the league, perhaps the world.

Cheeky Mother F...

View attachment 230971

Told him to put up or shut up, he obliged. Couldn't believe this gets a month off and expects to walk back into the side.

Game 1 vs Newcastle

View attachment 230970

Great result here, perfect way to start the new year Newcastle are near mid-table so the type of team we need to be beating. Gabby gets a start and scores 2 but disappointing injuries to Delph and Gil means my threadbare squad is even smaller.

So thats Delph out until next month!

View attachment 230969

Will be a bit of a struggle without him, Delph is one of my best players and really does make the midfield tick.

Game 2 vs Coventry

View attachment 230968

To be honest I wasn't overly bothered about the FA cup after all my injuries I could really be doing without it, however losing to Coventry wouldn't be a great career move so I was pretty glad my heavily weakened team was able to get the job done. No injuries which was good.

Well now I am out of the FA cup

View attachment 230967

They are struggling this year but lets face it they are a very good team and I can't see them going down to 9 men this time.

Game 3 vs Man City

View attachment 230966

Did well to keep it as close as we did but we had 2 goals disallowed so could have pinched it.

Game 4 vs West Ham

View attachment 230963

Absolutely disgusted with the performance in this game, Cleverly was awful gave away a pen, gave the ball away for their 2nd and then got sent off in 49 mins. Worst game since I started at Villa. Cleverly is on thin ice now, seriously considering to keep him or not (remember Delph is injured still)

View attachment 230962

Cleverly Loan Terminated

Tom Cleverly's career has hit another major speed bump after being sent back to Manchester early following his mixed spell with Villa.
Cleverly's last game was this Saturdays Premier League fixture vs West Ham where he played a total of 49mins, in that time he gave away a penalty and then the ball directly leading to a goal, before being sent of for dangerous tackle on the halfway line.

Daniel Marshall on why he elected to cancel Cleverly's loan, 'I thought his performance was poor, but we all have bad days at the office, it was his attitude towards the game, and then his team afterwards that really got to me. At the end of the day he is on loan and its his job to show myself and the Villa fans that he wants to be here and that he is capable of playing the way we want him to play. Fabian is injured at the moment and it was Tom's perfect opportunity to work his way into a permanent move here, and he couldn't handle it. We have a fantastic youth team here and I'd rather give them a chance to play than have someone that isn't leaving everything on the field and playing his heart out for these Phenomenal fans.'

Marshall is renowned for his open approach to the media and rarely minces his words but it will be interesting to see how Cleverly recovers from this embarrassing development and where he will play next as his contract is expiring at the end of the season, the only thing we know for sure is that it won't be with Aston Villa.

Last edited:
JANUARY (cont'd)

Position - 19th=
Form - LWDDL
League Cup
-
4th Round
FA Cup
-
3rd Round vs Coventry

Game 5 vs Gunners

View attachment 230951

Close game but they got the early goal and we couldn't find the back of the net.
Out of the FA cup and not embarrassed so its pretty much Win/Win.

Game 6 vs QPR

View attachment 230949

Close draw but we dominated, still struggling to find the back of the net and it needs to change sharpish.

Game 7 vs Newcastle

View attachment 230947

Great win and a great way to end the month, also good to see Kozak getting another goal because they need to come from somewhere.

Monthly Awards

View attachment 230945View attachment 230944View attachment 230942View attachment 230941

Hippy Crack Jack won young player of the month he's doing really well which i'm glad about however I wish he was faster, now with him and Sisto I have 2 19-20 year old wingers with the potential to be 2 of the best players in the Prem :D bright future!

End of January Table

View attachment 230926

OUT OF THE BOTTOM 3!! Easier to slip down than climb up as I'm 1 point off of 19th Burnley look out of sight though which is good.​

View attachment 230913
(I know SC wouldn't cover Aston Villa)

NEW ASSISTANT MANAGER AT

VILLA

ESPN has learned that Daniel Marshall the manager at Aston Villa has fired his assistant

manager and replaced him with Michael Lindeman previously of Fulham.

When a new manager comes in it isn't out of the ordinary to see changes in staff, especially the

assistant manager. The two things that make this particular case so unusual is that; 1. he has

waited 3 months and 2. that he is in the middle of a season.

When questioned Marshall explained, 'Listen I came here part way through a season and we

were not performing very well, the last thing I needed to do was disrupt anything further, I

wanted to give John a chance as well and he did a good job but unfortunately we are too

similar and i am of the belief that your team should compliment you not mimic, I wish John well

for the future, and I believe with Michael ours will be bright.

FEBRUARY

Position - 16th+
Form - LLLWD
League Cup
- 4th Round
FA Cup
-
4th Round

Game 1 vs Everton

View attachment 230897

Close result really, they got an early goal and then we played very well but just couldn't manage to get one back, a draw would have been a fairer result

Game 2 vs Tottenham

View attachment 230896

Unbelievable game, we were awesome, Sisto gets off the mark for Villa and as is always the case you wait awhile for 1 and then you get 2, his second was a worldy. we were 1-0 up then 3-1 up and we drew 3-3, definitely learned my lesson, when up against a good team shut up shop ASAP, I was attempting to run up the score and get going on a nice little run, hopefully confidence didn't take a hit for throwing away that victory.

Game 3 vs Swansea

View attachment 230895

Sisto is on fire so far this month, really playing well and his confidence is sky high! not bad for a 19 year old.

Game 4 vs Stoke

View attachment 230894

Great way to round out the month, Bacuna with a typically awesome free-kick, Sisto with ANOTHER goal, the kid can't stop scoring, and Scott Sinclair with a rebound after a shot from 30 yards from guess who.... yep Sisto.

Monthly Awards

View attachment 230892View attachment 230891View attachment 230890View attachment 230889

I now declare February 2015 as the Month of Sisto, Goal of the Month vs. Tottenham, and Player of the Month after 4 in 4 (and 2 assists) not bad for a 19 year old from Denmark, in his 2nd month in the league/country, who cost £5million!

MARCH

Position - (forgot the screenshot about) 14th +
Form - WLDWW
League Cup
- 4th Round
FA Cup
-
4th Round

Game 1 vs Palace

View attachment 230888

With only a Scott Sinclair penalty to separate the 2 teams this was a very close game and we were arguably lucky to win it.

Nightmare

View attachment 230887

He's injured again, I wonder if I'm destined for him to be injured all the time? I guess Kozak will have to make do for the upcoming game vs. Man U.

Game 2 vs Man Utd

View attachment 230886

They won again as you can see and once again Sanchez got sent off after 2 yellows, its annoying but its what I ask him to do, tackle hard and break up play, against better opposition he obviously gets found out more (diving cheats)

So it Begins.....Again

View attachment 230885View attachment 230884

2 first choice defenders injured for the midlands derby vs West Brom... The main reason I sacked my old Assistant Manager was because he wasn't very good at fitness and was running my team into the ground... oh well next man up.

Game 3 vs West Brom

View attachment 230883

Who needs defenders anyway! Sisto with another couple of goals (this boy is good) then Kozak and Benteke chipping in as well. However Man of the Match goes to Lowton who is filling in for the injured Hutton and he played out of his mind with 3 assists.

The Side Effect of a Derby

View attachment 230882View attachment 230880

Nothing too serious but annoying all the same.

Takeover Talks

View attachment 230879

Rumour has it that the takeover is back on! I hope it doesn't drag on or affect the players performances becuase we are on a good run of form recently.

Future Signings

View attachment 230878

Found 2 great young players for dirt cheap, already very good and able to contribute and I thought I would get some signings confirmed before any transfer embargo's are put on me as you never know how long it could take. Ajer is 16! but his stats are ridiculous and will backup the part of the team I struggle with depth, and Vallejo is 18 but as sure a thing as you can find. Will probably look to sell Senderos after this season.

Latest Injury

View attachment 230874

Only my 4th choice centre back but still another injury to add to the pile, the new assistant manager isn't doing how I'd hoped.

Monthly Awards

View attachment 230872View attachment 230871View attachment 230870View attachment 230868

SISTO! not quite the awards he got last month but still young player of the month not to be sniffed at in a league that has as much young talent as the EPL.

Thing to notice is Emery getting manager of the month in his 1st full month in charge of Man Utd, and after Van Gaal won it last month?

And still not even a sniff of Manger of the Month for me.

APRIL

Position - (forgot to screenshot again, about) 14th =
Form-WWWLW
League Cup
- 4th Round
FA Cup
-
4th Round

Game 1 vs Chelsea

View attachment 230858

HUGE RESULT, Delph with literally the last kick of the game beats the offside trap takes it around the keeper and slots it home!

Securing the Future

View attachment 230857View attachment 230856View attachment 230855View attachment 230854

They all had a good chunk of time left on their contracts but I wanted to secure them long(er) term as you never know in football, also I want to avoid any yearly wage rises and minimum fee realase clauses (hence why Benteke isn't on this list)

Injury <3

View attachment 230853

My backup Target Man is out! not terrible as Benteke is playing and Gabby can cover if needed.

Odd one

View attachment 230852

He plays pretty much every game but ok.... I told him I'd give him a run in the 1st team and it seemed to be chuffed. Maybe I should drugs test him?

Game 2 vs Sunderland

View attachment 230851

Sisto is signing of the century, he can't help himself, 2 goals and an assist. Grealish is linking up very well with him also getting an assist and a goal.

Add to the Pile

View attachment 230850

Another injury but they do seem to have slowed down and (touchwood) my 1st team is pretty intact

Remove from the Pile

View attachment 230849

Baker is back! great news all round, forms good and now 1 of my 1st choice defenders is back and ready to roll for the run in to the end of the year!

Game 3 vs Liverpool

View attachment 230846

Well and truly out played and outclassed, games like these make you remember there is a long, long way to go (side note I wish Balotelli was this good in real life)

And Add to the Pile

View attachment 230845

He complains about not getting games then gets injured when I play him... whats a manager to do.

Takeover Part II

View attachment 230844

IT'S BACK ON!! this is great news, although I do hope they resolve it quickly as there is only a month to go until transfer season, and they have banned me from making transfers until they sell or otherwise.

Monthly Awards

View attachment 230843View attachment 230842View attachment 230841View attachment 230840

Sisto getting a mention again in the young player of the month, finishing second.

Still no love for me though.

MAY

Position
-
(forgot to screenshot again, about) 12th+

Form-LWWWL
League Cup
- 4th Round
FA Cup
-
4th Round

That was quick

View attachment 230833

Liverpool win it with 4 to go!

Game 1 vs Gunners

View attachment 230839

Game 2 vs Hull

View attachment 230838

Game 3 vs Southampton

View attachment 230837

Takeover Hits Rocks

View attachment 230835

Game 4 vs Leicester

View attachment 230836

End of Year Table

View attachment 230834

11th place very good considering we were 19th when I took over with still Liverpool, Man Utd, Gunners, Chelsea to play home and away.

Solid platform to build from.

To be continued...

View attachment 230829

Monthly Awards

View attachment 230832View attachment 230831View attachment 230830

No Villa representatives for the 1st time in awhile!

WAIT WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!!!!?!!??

View attachment 230828View attachment 230827

​Looks like my time might be up! this will be a disaster if it happens because my challenge will be over but it won't be my fault at all.....

Last edited:
Sir Alex Ferguson

1st season
League Position = 11th
League Cup = Out before taking charge
FA Cup = 4th Round

Daniel Marshall

1st Season
League Position = 11th
League Cup = Out before taking charge
FA Cup = 4th Round

Not a bad start matching Ferguson in every competition, hopefully the chairman lets me keep my job! I can finally continue in game now that I have caught up on here.