Flynnbob

Reaction score
Looking to recreate the Manchester United tactics of 2006-09 in FM15 with Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez roaming the attacking third to lethal effect. Ferguson played variants of 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 depending on the game. 4-3-3 being for big games and away games in Europe. Sometimes one of the attackers would be replaced by a hard working midfielder (Park Ji-Sung, Darren Fletcher, Owen Hargreaves) and Anderson would sometimes play as a more attacking midfielder.Got the team instructions so far as follows:
Retain Possession
Pass Into Space
Work Ball Into Box
Play Out of Defence
Whipped Crosses
Look for Overlap
Push Higher Up (against weaker teams at home)
Close Down More

Any help with these tactics and formations will be appreciated, and if anyone wants to help me create it then PM me

Last edited:
If going for a 4-4-2, I guess it might be Tevez as poacher at STC, Rooney as Trequartista at STCL, Ronaldo as Raumdeuter or IF(Attack) at AMR and Giggs as a wide playmaker or a wide midfielder at ML..
2 central midfielders, one DLP defend and one BBM, or as you feel that should be implemented...

In a 4-3-3 it would be all three strikers up front.. Tevez role in the center, Ronaldo on the right and Rooney on the left..
F9, Poacher, and Trequartista probably..

United also tended to use the Counter Attack as one of their main weapons, Fast counter attack was kinda always in the DNA of all Fergies teams.

See I have the 4-4-2 set up like this, it's more of a lopsided 4-2-3-1 though
GK(D) Van der Sar
DR FB(S) Wes Brown
DC CD(D) Vidic
DC BPD(D) Rio
LB WB A Evra
ML WM(S) Giggs
MCL DLP(S with Roaming) Scholes
MCR CM(D) Carrick
AMR IF A Ronaldo
AMCL AM A Rooney/Tevez
STR DLF(S) Rooney/Tevez

Front three all have Roam From Position Active. This 4-4-2(ish) shape would change due to the versatility of the front three so sometimes Ronaldo would play on the left and Hargreaves or Darren Fletcher would play on the right.
The 4-3-3 I'm looking for is the one labelled as a 4-5-1 with Ronaldo as the Frontman, described and shown in this article
Teams of the Decade #3: Manchester United 2006-09 | Zonal Marking
Could also use some help with TIs, Mentality and Team Shape. I only started watching football in the 2013/14 season so I didn't get to watch this incredible team :(

Last edited:
United also tended to use the Counter Attack as one of their main weapons, Fast counter attack was kinda always in the DNA of all Fergies teams.
Only thing is they never played a Counter mentality, they were always looking to attack so how would you use counter attacks in a more attacking mentality?

It's more of how they won the ball back that made them so attacking to seem, they tried to win the ball back quickly, so it could be, have the counter mentality but maybe use a higher pressing/get stuck in/push higher up instructions to try to win the ball back quicker. You can still be attacking and use a counter mentality, it is just how you employ it. Most people think counter means sit back, then when you get the ball burst forward quickly in numbers, but Man Utd did that at times, but also against teams lower down the league, they would invite them to get the ball to their midfield then hit them hard, win the ball back and pressure the teams defence quickly in numbers. so rather than sitting back on their box maybe they'd sit higher up. It's hard to explain, but Fergie always used quick counters to devastating effect, they just didn't sit back quite like people assume all counter-attacking teams would.

So would I need Higher Tempo still active? And should I remove Retain Possession? Also could anyone give me some roles and PI's for the following roles

Rooney playing out wide
Carrick
Wes Brown at DR
Ji-Sung Park's wide role AND central role
Also can anyone recommend a player for Giggs' wide midfield role at ML?

Last edited:
Yeah Conflictinbanno is right, they did counter attack and to devastating effect but counter attack doesn't have to mean defensive. When the opposition have the ball they are in an attack phase so as soon as the ball is recovered you are then on the counter attack. The high line was always in place, pressing is a tricky one because they would always allow the opposition the ball in their defensive third but the second that ball started to move forward they would press. This would also allow for defensive shape to be maintained.

So should I leave the closing down on default? Or close down more? And can anyone help with the Team Instructions? Also, what Fluidity would best describe SAF's sides?

Last edited:
Yeah that link helped thanks. I have 2 tactics made, one is the 4-4-2 asymmetric with the roaming Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo. The other is the 4-5-1 used in an away game against Roma away with Tevez being replaced by Anderson who played at the head of a midfield three. Fergie would often drop one of the attackers for a hard working midfielder in Away games in Europe, and against top 4 teams in the league (Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool). I am working on other formations too. If anyone is interested in testing and helping out with this project just PM me.

View attachment 221967
View attachment 221966