saints mission to dominate-overall of 1st season, 2nd season coming up

chr1ssulli

Reaction score
I have just played my first season with the saints and we won the league and the johnstone paint trophy.

here are the key shots from my season...

1st of is the league table, i had one **** of a crazy 2nd half of the season, about 16 games to go in the season and it looked as if i was going to get a play off position and win the JSP Trophy. Then leeds had a awful streak of results after losing in the johnstone paint trophy.

attachment.php

With only 1 win in the last 8 games after the JSPT final(north) i meant that i have a lead of 4 points and a game in hand whilst charlton were top but if i won my game in hand then i would go top.

Then charlton slyly started to drop off points which i had no idea at the time which was quiet a nice surprize lol :)

attachment.php

As you can see from the table it ended tight. This was down to a worrying away form not being as good as my home form as you would expect. i also got so into the situation i forgot about the ten point deduction that my team had been given for the club going into administration at the start of the game. So if i hadnt had the 10 point deduction i would have been 1st by 11 points.

My results here show my good home form but the away from wasnt as great
attachment.php

The top two automatic places were not decided until the last two games. Firstly i had expected an easy game against carlisle who were safe from relegation but not going to go up any further up the table. The result ended 2-1

Carlisle game:
My team got off to a good start with saganowski braking the deadlock with a wonderful 1st time volley which sent the crowd of 18,013 go wild haha, then davis decided to collect the ball from in the corner area as carlisle had booted clear, and then under no pressure davis kicks the ball back out straight to Kavanagh who after several touches decided to shoot and levels for carlisle.
In a desperate attempt to win the game i went "Overload" and then from a corner the ball is cleared to james who plays a ball into the feet of saganowski who shoots through a crowd of players only for the keeper to do nothing but help its way into the back of the net with 9 minutes to go. Saints held onto the lead to win a game which was expected to be a bit of a stroll in our own back yard.

Next up was an away trip to gillingham, in a game which could have confirmed my 1st place position. Leeds(2nd place) Vs Charlton (3rd place)

Gillingham game: This match against Gillingham should of been an easy win which would have relieved my team of a home match against a good looking southend team pushing for a play off slot. The game was played infront of a crowd of 7,013 which wasn't surprising considering that they were staying just above the surface of the relegation spot.

The match wasn't very entertaining, it got even worse with a clumpsy Jaidi bundling over Jackson in the box when the cross had gone over them towards the back post. The striker not taking the penalty but Nutter ( haah) steped up to place it just out of reach of davis.

Then another challenge from jaidi cost the saints the match when they were pushing on to get a equalizer. Jackson AGAIN being fouled by jaidi with a challenge from behind the player when the players was facing away from the goal holding up play awaiting for support/time wasting. Nutter again stepped up this time powering it past the statue of davis.

The saints continued to try to get goals back by putting wagio and mills upfront aswell and the saints were nearly rewarded for their efforts but the post denied Lamberts wicked free kick.
Then it was wagio turn to pour salt into the wound when a timed cross from mills left the keeper out of goal and wagio with a perfect chance to score only for him to nod the ball into the side netting.
Final Result: Gillingham 2-0 southampton

Southend game:

The saints now had a tough match to play against a southend team, who were holding onto the chances of the play offs with the skin of their teeths.
The match was played at st marys infront of a crowd of 28,131.
The saints had only two clear cut chances, one which saganowski broke the offside trap and powered the ball past the keeper sending manager, Sullivan, into a dance whilst the fans sang we are going up.
The southend fans of 800 tried to boost their team cheering them on but all hopes were destroyed when saganowski scored an amazing curling shot puting the game in the bag with 20 minutes to go.
The saints kept hold of the ball very well afterwards and remained solid to hold onto the win which sent them into the championship.

Johnstone Paint Trophy Southampton Vs Huddersfield:

The saints won the final at wembley but it wasn't an easy match.

Huddersfield got off to a flyer when Michael Collins scored from outside the box with only 5 minutes being played, davis would be dissapointed with letting in a goal like that from that distance and also beating him at his near post.(5MIN)

Saganowski then leveled for the saints scoring a header creeping around the back post and heading across the goal leaving the keeper with now chance.(15MIN)

Then Saganowski scored his second, the ball played in from Lallana(RM) and takes one touch to turn and another to send low into the far coner.(32MIN)

Huddersfield were then the team to equalize when Peter Clarke scored a thumping header to put the game back in the balance. (70MIN)

Saganowski then scored his hat trick at wembley and in style too! he plays a nice one two with lambert then through 1-1 with the keeper and chips it over his head into the corner, really was fairy tale stuff.(83MIN)

The drama didnt stop there but the goals did. Nabil El Zhar then got given his marching orders by ref Andy Hall.

The full time whistle goes and the saints won the johnstone paint trophy!!!!

The path to glory(southen area)

attachment.php

players stats:
as you can see here the kep player for me was saganowski who performed extremely well for the side scoring 40 goals in 1 season.
David Connolly was my next best player scoring 18 goals the little man still shows hes got it, however due to injury he didnt always play.

The major disappointments that i would say was rickie lambert and papa wagio.

I felt that lambert should of scored more and lead the team more like he was expected to,however due to connolly playing well it was tough for him to get a good run in.

Wagio i felt just didnt give us as much as i had hoped for. early signs told me to keep him but overall signs tell me that im glad that he was only on loan. wagio played 22 starts and only got 1 assit and i thought that was poor for a winger and that i will have to get a right midfielder as i have been using lallana to fill in as he can play anywhere in midfield.

attachment.php

values

attachment.php

From looking at the values i have seen that simon gillett is now our most valuable player at 2.2 million. i will now look to make the most from this as i dont believe that he is good enough for championship football.

CHAMPIONSHIP: will be updated in the next few days