Salthill Devon FC: From Obscurity To European Glory

Reaction score
Salthill Devon FC

View attachment 374644
Cairdeas Tre Spoirt
(Friendship Through Sports)

Press Release

View attachment 374643

Salthill Devon FC have announced today the signing of a new manager, 26 year old Australian/Irishman Dan Roper. This was a surprise signing for most as Roper has vast playing experience in the international arena representing his native Australia 29 times and scoring 9 goals.
When asked by the media why he was at a club like Salthill and whether he was selling himself short or just didn't have any ambition, Roper replied 'There is no lack of ambition on my part. I intend to take this club as high as I can.' Muted laughs from the assembled media ensued.

A Background

View attachment 374642

Salthill Devon FC an amateur club play their games in the county of Galway, the western region of Ireland. Established in 1977 they won their one and only trophy, The Irish Second Division North in 2009. Now playing in the Irish First Division for the past 3 years they are looking to step up to the IPD. A club who focuses heavily on their good youth facilities we can hope to see some young emerging talent in the years to come.

Last edited:
I bet you scored all your international goals in a single game against American Samoa

I bet you scored all your international goals in a single game against American Samoa

Haha nah im not Archie Thompson! See my self as more of a sweeping midfielder, starting attacking movements and setting on more goals than I score, popping up for the occasional screamer from the edge of the area! And because of my age I played during our Asian qualifiying journeys so much tougher opposition.

Salthill Devon FC

View attachment 374346
Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

January/February 2013
Winter Transfer Window

Media Prediction

View attachment 374344

Sky Bet Odds

View attachment 374341

So they think we will finish 7th this season. 2nd bottom. I would like to think I could put together a squad and tactics that would finish better than that. I guess it's our job to prove the doubters wrong.

Season Ticket Sales

View attachment 374338

We finish up with 30 season ticket holders this year. I can safely say that in all my years of playing Football/Champ Manager I've never had as few members as this. So income from gate receipts will be negligible unless we can get to the later rounds of a couple of cup competitions.

Salthill Devon FC Facilities

View attachment 374336

Just wanted to show you all what I'm starting out with at this level and every season or so I will be able to gauge how we grow both on and off the field. Happy with our level of youth facilities so hopefully we will be able to train up some promising youngsters to take this club forward.

Salthill and Shamrock Rovers join forces!

View attachment 374340

In what I believe to be a massive coup for the club we announced a partnership with Shamrock Rovers. The deal involves a friendly match and a ?5,000 pound annual fee for us.

January/February Transfer History

View attachment 374337

Having never managed an amateur club before I was pleased that I could sign players more or less risk free. I put a lot of trust in my newly signed chief scout John Tiernan who for this level is quite decent. Time will tell how good he really is....

Player Injuries

Jamie Harris DC/STC
View attachment 374343
Groin Strain 4-6 Weeks

Mark Grace GK
View attachment 374342
Hernia 7-8 Weeks

Dan Cunningham D/M/AML
View attachment 374339
Pulled Hamstring 5-6 Weeks

Not an ideal start before a ball has even been kicked in anger. Cunningham and Harris were both seen as first choice in their positions so to lose them for the first few games is disappointing. Good news though is I have a large enough squad to deal with such situations! ;)

Salthill Devon FC

View attachment 374316
Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

March 2013

March Board Confidence

View attachment 374313

The board happy after the first month is a little surprising considering a few mixed results. Making a profit is also another tough achievement and I can't believe we raked in ?5,000 pounds in T.V revenue!

March Fixtures

View attachment 374314

A dream start against the highly fancied Waterford Utd on their patch was one of those days that made think this management caper is easy. Then a massive thud back down to earth as consistent defensive mistakes in the next three games saw us deservedly drop down to 7th in the table.
Against Cobh Ramblers we were 2-0 down early in the second half before a Conor Barry inspired comeback same us claim all three points in front of the 87 strong home support.

League Standings/Player Stats

View attachment 374315

So we finish the month in 5th place, two games behind Longford who look very strong early on. Early concerns about our goal difference and in particular how easily we are shipping goals.

Conor Barry was our shining light in March. The 17 year old attacking midfielder bagged four goals, two assists and two player of the matches in our five games to sit equal top on goals scored and top on highest average rating for the league. Honorable mentions to striker Fergus Quinn and wide midfielder Ian McCluskey who between them have laid on six of our ten goals so far to be equal second on the assists made leaderboard.

Last edited:
Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

April Board Confidence

View attachment 374239

Player Injuries

Fergus Quinn M/AMC/ST
View attachment 374237
Sprained Ankle 7-8 Weeks

Brian Geraghty DC/STC
View attachment 374236
Torn Groin Muscle 12 Weeks

Steven Trimble GK
View attachment 374235
Sprained Knee 4-5 Weeks

Worrying trend of long term injuries. That's now 6 players who have been out for more than 4 weeks in less than three months. Trimble is a blow being our first choice 'keeper, so too Quinn who has had a good month.

April Fixtures

View attachment 374240

Another mixed bag in terms of results, seems we either play at one extreme or the other. Wins against Wexford Yths and Mervue Utd could have been one by more comfortable margins, but the reversals at home to Finn Harps and Waterford Utd were appalling and we were never in them.

League Standings/ Player Stats

View attachment 374234

Gain one spot over the course of the month, keeping ourselves in touch with the top three which is important come the end of season promotion places. With the season only being 28 games its important not to lose too much ground early on.
Conor Barry and Fergus Quinn had another good month. Quinn getting three goals, and Barry a few assists. He tops the Highest Average Rating again and is third in the Assists Chart. Honourable mention to McCluskey chipping in with a couple goals.

Irish First Division Goal of The Month

View attachment 374238

Just to finish Fergus Quinn wins both first and second in the Goal of The Month award. In a season where I think there will be little to celebrate I think its important to acknowledge these small victories.

Last edited:

Salthill Devon FC

602126d1401969893-salthill-devon-fc-obscurity-european-glory-salthill-logo.jpg

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

May Board Confidence

View attachment 374096

Security went from secure to stable due to the goings on this month. ?7,000 pound profit this month thanks to our cup run is very helpful. Our projected losses for the year were at over ?25,000 pounds a few months ago but due to the prize money we have received it's down to ?17,000 pounds.

Player Injuries

Jake Rossiter GK
View attachment 374102
Broken Ankle 3-4 Months

Stephen Rodden
View attachment 374101
Gashed Leg 3-4 Weeks

Shane O'Rourke
View attachment 374100
Torn Hamstring 3-4 Months

Another terrible month for injuries. Starting to wonder if there is something I could be doing about it.

May Fixtures

View attachment 374103

A poor month in terms of results but we did play against two top sides in the league and Sligo Rovers in the Irish League Cup, only losing to them in the 93rd minute. Took penalties to dispatch Bluebell Utd after a replay. Got through in the end but I did play a lot of reserves who are unfamiliar with the tactics.

View attachment 374104

As you can see the poor results have impacted on our league position dropping us to 7th. It is still so close in the middle that we aren't out of it yet and a few good results could see us catapult back towards the summit.
Fergus Quinn and Conor Barry swap positions on the Highest Average Rating table.

Last edited:

Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

June Board Confidence

View attachment 373611

June Fixtures

View attachment 373612

A couple of friendly losses designed to keep the players match were of no concern, even the 3-2 loss to non league Janesboro. Mixed results in the league. Poor result to Waterford Utd and unhappy with the 3-3 draw with bottom side Cobh Ramblers after being 3-0 up after 21 mins. Excellent result against then second place Wexford Yths with Conor Barry again pulling the strings in midfield.

League Standings/ Player Stats

View attachment 373613

So we remain second last this month with no clean indication that we will move from there in the future. With no relegation maybe its a chance for me to consolidate the team, work on some tactics and bring in some new players because a majority at the club now don't cut it at even this level.
Conor Barry and Ian McCluskey have been lights at the end of an otherwise long dark tunnel this season. Barry especially has impressed me at only 17 years old he is a playmaker of high quality and it will be tough for higher clubs not to be interested in him.

Last edited:
Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

July Board Confidence

View attachment 373608

Summer Transfer Window

View attachment 373607

I may have gone a little bit overboard but I need to get better bodies in because we have been shambles both at the back and up front this season. Got rid of players that weren't performing and either weren't playing or their rating amongst the squad dropped after the avalanche of players coming in. Aiden McLaughlin and Anthony Bolger are strikers who are a step up from what we had, hopefully more chances get put away and we don't have to rely on midfielders Quinn and Barry to score the lion share of goals.

July Fixtures

View attachment 373605

Another poor month compounded by the massive drop in tactical awareness due to the large group of signings made. I knew this would happen but I thought a bit of short term pain would be extinguished by long term success. The short term pain was excruciating in the three losses to Mervue Utd, Athlone Town and Longford. We managed to get a win against Cobh Ramblers, a bit of revenge after their three goal comeback last month that also managed to keep us off bottom. New signings Bolger and McLaughlin got off the mark this month and you may have noticed I am playing a lot of friendlies against the U19's. I'm trying to increase the tactical cohesion of the team while balancing fatigue. I've dropped a lot of eligible first team squad players down to the U19's so the games are more competitive.

View attachment 373606

Not much too say here, the poor month speaks for itself and not much has changed.

Last edited:
Salthill are a real challenge!! I'm sure you will turn things around though man (next season)

Salthill are a real challenge!! I'm sure you will turn things around though man (next season)

Yeah they are for sure! Cheers for the optimism, I feel the same. I can see glimpses and hopefully a full pre season under our belts will help.

Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

August Board Confidence

View attachment 373462

Big profit this month due to the Challenge Cup. Board very unhappy with new signing Alan King. He hasn't been great so far but I'm training him up in a new position so will need time. I really feel our board is very harsh on new signings early form considering the level we're at.

Player Injuries

Shane O'Rourke DRC
View attachment 373465
Damaged Knee Cap 5 Weeks

Alan King D/WB/M/AML
View attachment 373466
Broken Ankle 3-4 Months

Jason Lyons STC
View attachment 373468
Twisted Ankle 6-7 Weeks

Aiden McLaughlin STC
View attachment 373469
Gashed Leg 3-4 Weeks

Another month and another set of long term injuries. Wondering about our physio department at the moment, something I made need to look at in the near future. New striker McLaughlin is a blow as he was in some good early form. O'Rourke is a disappointment as he's spent 4 1/2 months on the physio's table this season. Young man has some promise but can't seem to get out there to prove it.

Irish Senior Challenge Cup 3rd Round vs Cork City

View attachment 373467

Amazing! After a disappointing season a wonderful result against Premier League opponents. More possession and shots on target showed we are no pushovers when we want to be, its just a matter of consistently showing that over the course of a 28 games season and not just when we have a big game.

August Fixtures

View attachment 373463

More friendlies against the U19's surround our poor league form early in the month. Losses to Wexford Yths, Waterford Utd and Finn Harps didn't come as any great surprise but a 3-0 victory against rivals Mervue Utd was an excellent turnaround and a preview to our win against Cork City. Rounding out the month was a nil all draw at home to Athlone Town. Lenny Walker and Aidan McLaughlin were impressive this month scoring 4 and 3 goals respectively.

View attachment 373464

So we keep hold of 7th place with Cobh Ramblers more or less matching our results to keep them within touching distance with four games to go. At the top Longford are being reeled in but their superior goal difference might be enough to give them an advantage. McCluskey and Barry continue on the Assists Leaderboard with seven a piece.

Irish Goal of the Month

View attachment 373470

To finish Aidan McLaughlin wins goal of the month for August with a placed shot. Has settled in well since joining and could be the key going into next season.

Last edited:

Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

September Board Confidence

View attachment 373433

September Youth Intake

View attachment 373430

Very happy with our intake this year. At least 8 players that would be looking to go into our first team squad at some stage next season. Need to try and keep hold of them which will be tough due to their amateur contracts. Alan Arbuthnot looks to be the pick of the bunch.

Player Injury

Ryan Shields MC
View attachment 373431
Twisted Knee 4-5 Weeks

September Fixtures

View attachment 373432

A couple of good away draws against Cobh Ramblers and table topping Longford were joined by a 4-1 loss to Sligo Rovers in the Irish Senior Challenge Cup Qtr Final. After taking a second minute lead through Conor Barry it was only a matter of time before Sligo got going and we didn't have the ability to either keep them out or continue to score.

View attachment 373434

So Cobh Ramblers get within two points of us this month with two games to go and we will need to have a good finish to not end up bottom. Almost impossible to catch rivals Mervue Utd in 6th with a 5 point gap and inferior goal difference. Longford have more or less wrapped up the title with a three point gap and 12 goals difference to second place and only one game remaining for them.

Last edited:
Love it when you get a youth intake player you can put straight into the first team

Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

Player Injury

Fergus Quinn M/AMC/STC

View attachment 373414
Sprained Ankle 7-8 Weeks

October Fixtures

View attachment 373415

So a another win against Wexford Yths keeps us safe in 7th position with Barry and Bolger overturning a one goal deficit. A loss to Finn Harps who are in second position ends my first season in charge of Salthill Devon FC.

View attachment 373416

So we finish in 7th position in my first season in charge, five points ahead of Cobh Ramblers in 8th. A poor goal difference of -17 is very disappointing and our defence will need to be much stronger if we want to climb the league next season. Conor Barry the leading light this season. The 18 year old finished equal top of the Assists and equal third of the Highest Average Ratings for the season.
Up next will be a full season review.

Last edited:
Love the detail man! Feel like I'm attached to the team already

Love it when you get a youth intake player you can put straight into the first team

How good is it! I always look forward to September and the intake especially when we're at this level because you can afford to give a young guy a chance and watch him develop.

Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

2013 End of Season Review

Salthill Devon FC Highest Ever Finish

View attachment 373117

We beat last year's 8th position so the first time we have ever not finished last!

Salthill Devon FC Best Eleven 2013

View attachment 373121

Barry and McCluskey make Irish First Division Team of the Year

View attachment 373119

A good effort for a couple of boys in a team that has struggled this year. Shows the class of Barry in particular to be as consistent as he was for such a young guy.

Conor Barry Salthill Devon FC's Fan's PLayer of the Year

View attachment 373120
View attachment 373122

Still a young guy with lots of developing to do, hopefully at this club. The sky is the limit after this first season.

Conor Barry named Irish First Division Young Player of the Year

View attachment 373118 View attachment 373116

So the young man caps off a great individual season with the league young player award. Beating two guys 3 and 5 years older than him. Surprised nobody has come in for him yet, hopefully he can fly under the radar a bit longer for our sake.

Last edited:

Salthill Devon FC

Cairdeas Tre Spoirt

January/February 2014

Winter Transfer Window

December Board Confidence

January Board Confidence

View attachment 371003

So my job stays stable over the winter break, similar losses and the board happy with how the squad harmony is, despite our second bottom finish.

Media Prediction

View attachment 371001

Sky Bet Odds

View attachment 371002

So it's predicted I'll have an even worse season than last. I was optimistic this time last year that I could prove the doubters wrong but they we're spot on. The players now know the tactics well and are better for it so hopefully that means improved performances and the ability to concentrate on other training aspects and match preparations instead of focusing on tactics all season.

Season Ticket Sales

View attachment 370998

So one person wasn't prepared to pay for a season ticket after our exploits last season. Hopefully we can win him back and gain others for next season!

Facilities

View attachment 370999

So no major changes this season due to a lack of funds. Not expecting this to change until we at least get into the Premier League.

Transfer History

View attachment 370997

All of those are young guys between the ages of 16 and 20 coming in. Looking forward to seeing 20 year old central defender Patrick Seery in action, good enough to go straight into the first XI. A couple of squad players go out so no big loss.

2014 Fixture List Announced

View attachment 371005

So away first up against fierce rivals Mervue Utd. Finishing with newly relegated U.C.D. could be crucial if our final position comes down to the last game of the season. At worst we have an opportunity to affect U.C.D. who I would imagine will be there or thereabouts come October

February Board Confidence

View attachment 371000

February Fixtures

View attachment 370995

So after a long and mixed pre season we hit the ground running with an impressive 3-0 win over rivals Mervue Utd, striker Aidan McLaughlin scoring an incredible hat-trick. I won't be getting ahead of myself just yet as we had a similar result against Waterford Utd to start last season then fell away sharply after that. Plenty of hard work to do.

View attachment 370996

Not much to read here after only one game but we are top (maybe for the last time) and McLaughlin leads the scoring and rating charts after his explosive opening to the season.

Last edited: