same tactics for 4 years, do AI really adjust/counter my tactic? Need new tactics?

emman23

Reaction score
2019-2020 just finished, im playing wigan. This year has been a drop off. Using a high attacking possession tactic. Kinda long post, sorry, just want to share.

Just a little history:

2016-2017 - Runner Up EPL, Runner Up UCL(lost to City)
2017-2018 - Won EPL, Won UCL( to Juve)
2018-2019 - Won EPL, Runner Up UCL(lost to PSG), Won Capital One , supercup,community
2019-2020- Runner UP EPL, Quarter Up UCL(lost to PSG), Won FA, Capital One ,community.

2017 - 2019 are the seasons that my team really kicks, i think i got 95-97 points in EPL.

Last summer, i sold Lewan(really good, but he's getting old), Regen CD best in game(injury prone. And promoted my wonderkid CD) Then bought papadoupolous, Backup wonderkid CD, carlos fierro.

Papadoupolous is back up to CD and BWM, and fierro 1st team.

Fierro had a great start, but then drop off. Though this last month, he was beast.
The promoted wonderkid CD, which has been in my team since 2nd season, was just beast, averaged 8.10 ratings whole season, the best CD now in my game.

My team got huge injury bug. Like 8 players out, 3 which are key players, 2 are rotation/1st team, then back ups. But still got a great team.

One thing i really noticed this year, even before the injury bug (mid january - march), I lost/draws some home games in EPL against weak team, which in almost 3 years, i rarely do. , complancey isnt issue as i manage that well.

UCL knockout was tough, i almost lost at 1st round against dortmund, 0-0 away, then 3-2 home, i won the home game with a injury time goal. Though i was ecstatic with the winning goal, i cant ignore the fact that i fell 1-2 in a Home game.

Though my players swept awards in EPL(most goals 30, assists 26, Ratings 8.13, (young) player of the year), i just cant help to think that my tactic is being beaten this year, regardless how i smash my opponents with 3+ goals when i win.

Is it the time to change my tactic? Do the AI break down my tactic? like what happen to tiki taka this last couple of years?

Current Tactic
View attachment 368894

Formation that im thinking for next year
View attachment 368895

I want a tactic that somewhat possession, but more attacking than my current tactic. I still want to get my assists from my AMC AP.. And goals from my current poacher, but using inside forwards like a combination of the playmaker and striker.. Would this formation leaves a problematic gap with my midfield and defense?..

I could use a 4-1-2-3... to not have the gap problem But like i said, i want my assist coming from my playmaker, would he still breaks defense playing AP in midfield?... i just have i mindset that if i want to have more assist, i should place him in an AMC position? am i wrong?

Also, if i set my wingbacks wide play to normal, would they alternate to cutting inside and hug the line? is that bad for having IFs? Also, if IFs are not suitable for possession game, i could use wingers, but dont like crossing.

Though my current tactic is pretty much very attacking, i want to incorporate IFs now..Also, this year, my defense/GK shut out been reduced around half

Thanks, currently reading the tactics thread, will read for an hour or so... check back later.

I could upload my save game if you want.

Last edited:
The AI never cracks your tactics, as your rep improves etc various teams ( depending on their rep compared to yours) will tend to play deeper and more conservatively against you etc. But no it never cracks your tactic, nor do you get a evolutiion against the most successful approaches ( like we see in real life). That should be the next step in development imo.

I think that would be a true test of players knowledge and ability

Is that so?.. though i changed my tactics now , 3 games in EPL, all won, 14 goals with 1 goal allowed..

Side question , as i play possession game, is it better that my IFs' wideplay are "moves channel" rather than cutting inside..

it looks like Cutting is when he is on the ball and wants to dribble?... i want my IFs to be more of a poacher in final moves but always involve in the build up..

Is that so?.. though i changed my tactics now , 3 games in EPL, all won, 14 goals with 1 goal allowed..

Side question , as i play possession game, is it better that my IFs' wideplay are "moves channel" rather than cutting inside..

it looks like Cutting is when he is on the ball and wants to dribble?... i want my IFs to be more of a poacher in final moves but always involve in the build up..

Do you want them deeper? Then you simply want a support role

They are on support role, i changed their mentality to the lowest possible "normal" in slider and changed to Moves to channel, works great, but is there a more better setting using IFs in possession? One of my IFs is wilshere