troythemac

Reaction score
images

Quakes Front Office Makes Big Decision to Part with Yallop, Hires Unknown Manager McArdle
by: Reginald Jenkins

San Jose Earthquakes general manager had some tough choices to make before the 2012 MLS season began. Today, he made them. This morning, the Quakes announced that manager Frank Yallop would be relieved of his duties, effective immediately. Pundits had been predicting this move for a while, and praised Doyle's conviction in getting it done early, and giving the team time to gel under new management. However, his hiring of unknown American manager Troy McArdle has raised more than a few eyebrows. We were able to get the first exclusive, sit-down interview with the Earthquakes upstart young leader.
Jenkins: So, Troy, how does it feel to be in charge of your boyhood club?
McArdle: I'm very proud to be representing the Quakes, and intend on honoring the fans for their dedication to the side by making us an MLS force.
Jenkins: How do you think the new stadium will effect your game?
McArdle: I think it'll help quite a bit. Players want to play on beautiful pitches, not rehashed college ones. And fans want to come see games at a new stadium. This new stadium will help to thrust us into the upper echelon of MLS sides, and I can't wait for the construction to be completed.
Jenkins: Wow, sounds like you're envisioning big things. Any plans for personnel?
McArdle: I am not the type of person to fire a staff sight unseen, so I will give the entire coaching, medical, and fitness departments some time to prove their worth and help me run the team. As for players, I intend in bringing in my specific type of players, who will succeed in my system, and help us to play attractive football. Expect some big moves!
Jenkins: Thank you for your time Mr. McArdle

McArdle still has over 3 months before the Quakes preseason begins, with their first regular season game coming against Real Salt Lake on March 19th.

I always enjoy MLS stories , will keep following.

Keep up the good work.

90268.jpg

Earthquakes Make 2 Blockbuster Moves on Same Day
by: Roberto Pescarini
images
images

Today, the San Jose Earthquakes sent shockwaves through the MLS world by completing deals to sign two of the league most heralded players. Both Freddy Adu and Shalrie Joseph have both been added, surprisingly, to the West Coast team.

The Earthquakes gave the Philadelphia Union $180,000 in allocation, as well as 2nd and 3rd round picks in the 2013 and 2014 MLS SuperDrafts, respectively. Adu is said to be thrilled to join the side, and will certainly bring a creativity and influence that the Earthquakes have been desperately lacking.
For Joseph, they traded away Jamaican midfielder Khari Stephenson and a 3rd round Superdraft pick in 2013, as well as an international slot. Joseph is a talented midfielder who will bring experience and a calming factor to a group at the center of the park who were looking somewhat inexperienced and out of their depth last year. Both players are expected to start and contribute significantly to McArdle's seemingly revamped Earthquakes squad.

Soccernetred.png

Earthquakes trialling trio of Brazillian strikers
by: Archie Lazell
images

The San Jose Earthquakes are certainly making the MLS offseason more interesting this year. Less than a week after two huge siginings, McArdle has brought in three out of work Brazilian strikers, all recently released by their clubs.

Fans are salivating over the prospect of Lenny, a once highly-heralded youth prospect who played at Palmerias and Fluminese, as well as a brief sting in Braga of Portugal. He possesses tremendous pace, something the Earthquakes strikers definitely lack. At 23, he presents himself as a promising prospect, and it will be interesting to see how he does in their upcoming friendlies. Fellow Brazilian speedster Leo Itaperuna is also getting a look for the Quakes, and at the ripe age of 22, he could turn some heads and be a more budget option. Ferriara, is an experienced striker who has played for a myriad number of clubs. At 32, we have seen what he will give, but his eye for goal and the final pass could always help. We got the chance to catch up with McArdle after a training session.

Lazell: So, Troy, after bringing in an attacking player in Adu, you are now looking at 3 more?
McArdle: Yes, I intent on implementing a 4-2-1-3 formation, with Adu in the attacking midfield spot. It is a formation that creates a lot of pressure on opponents back 4's, while still being able to maintain defensively. But, in order to run it, you need a deep striking corps.
Lazell: Would you say that Gordon and Lenhart are both too similar to your star striker Wondolowski to run beside him up top?
McArdle: Not really, no. I have confidence that Lenhart and Wondo are capable of creating chances on the field together. However, an attack utilizing all of them would lack a breakaway pace I like to see from my strikers, so I've brought the lads in here, and they will get a few months to train with us, and a chance to get their careers back on track.
Lazell: Thank you for your time, Mr. McArdle. I'll let you get back to your team.
McArdle: Anytime, goodbye

sanjose.gif

Earthquakes Preseason Wrap
by: Blake Livingstone

The Quakes recently returned from Pittsburgh, finishing their brief preseason run of friendlies. While two of their three preseason game were against semi-professional American sides,
(with the third against English powerhouse Tottenham) McArdle cited these games as vital in shaping his new side, and testing out recent arrivals like Adu, and Brazilian striker Lenny, who signed for the side today in preparation for the MLS season.

View attachment 222068

McArdle lined up in an unconventional but effective 4213, with the starting lineup for their first friendly against the Richmond Kickers.

Tuesday, Feb. 15th, 2012
San Jose Earthquakes 5 - 1 Richmond Kickers
Goalscorers: Lenny, Wondolowski(2), Ronnie Pascale (o.g), Cronin

After a slow start to the game, in which the first half was blown dead with an uninspiring 1-1 scoreline, the Quakes blew it open. Lenny broke away in the 51st, and crossed a beautiful ball to a streaking Wondolowski, who buried it coolly. Less than 5 minutes later, he latched onto a lofted through ball from Adu to blast it by the keeper. After an own goal, the rout was on. Cronin grabbed himself a poachers effort in injury time.

Saturday Feb. 26th, 2012
San Jose Earthquakes 1-4 Tottenham
Goalscorers: Lenny
McArdle's men faced the tough test of welcoming a strong and deep Tottenham side to their very own Buck Shaw stadium. They were put on the back foot immediately by a 4th minute strike from Defoe. Adu once again did brilliantly to find Lenny making a run through, and the new Brazilian boy drove the ball into the back of the net, showing a great spirit for the San Jose side. Unfortunately, the Quakes could do no more to stop the Spurs, who turned it on and put in three more before half. The second half saw McArdle employ Canadian youth international Nana Attakora, who influenced a calming effect on McArdle's back line, who appeared flustered and overworked against Tottenham. The second half remained scoreless, with Wondolowski nearly latching onto a couple of sumptous crosses from Lenny's Brazilian brother, Leo Itaperuna.

Monday, Feb. 28th, 2012
San Jose Earthquakes 3-1 Pittsburgh Riverhounds
Goalscorers: Wondolowski (3)

After going down 1-0 to a surprising Riverhounds counterattack, Wondolowski and the Quakes came roaring back into the match. A neat bit of play that was created from a beautifully won ball by Joseph. Adu slotted him in, and it was all Wondo could do not to finish. Not 10 minutes later, Wondolowski pounced on a lazy pass in the back, and put away a real poachers effort. That man Wondolowski popped up again for the Quakes late in the second half, as he put the game to bed with a header from a beautfiully flighted Bobby Convey corner. Patrik, another one of those Brazilians, made his Quakes debut, and looked tidy in the central midfield position.
127130_news.jpg

Hat-trick hero himself Wondolowski pictured above

McArdle praised the play of the young CB duo of Opara and Attakora, and Earthquakes certainly have some hope for the future with these two youngsters. If Convey and Hernandez can supply experience and ability in attacking and possession from the fullback spot, the Quakes may have a solid defensive base to build upon.

NEW PLAYER ANALYSIS
: The Quakes welcomed quite a few new players into their ranks this preseason, and we broke down their performances
Freddy Adu: Adu made a good start to his Earthquakes career, and showed a promising partnership with Wondolowski. McArdle repeatedly stated that the CAM and center ST had to work well together for the Earthquakes to achieve anything, and it appears that they already are.
Lenny: Wow. Lenny's pace is simply electric. While he squandered a few passes, and made some questionable decisions, it was clear from when he broke in on Gomes against Tottenham that this lad can achieve a lot for the Quakes. I can only hope McArdle saw what us fans saw.
Joseph: From his first minute on the pitch, it was evident that Joseph was going to make the Earthquakes tick. He was everywhere, breaking up possession and cleanly distributing the ball, with the occasional slashing run towards the box. A true gem of a player, no matter his age