February 2018

View attachment 76925

"If God wanted us to play football in the sky, he'd have put grass up there"
Sir Bobby Charlton

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View attachment 76924

Just how many points has Dwight Gayle won for us now? The team were tired but pulled together to land a good win against a team over-performing this season. I think the 4-1-2-3 is here to stay.

View attachment 76922

Very underwhelming performance from us but we're into the next round. Christian Atsu with his first goal in a long time for us was good to see.

View attachment 76921

Huddersfield are rock bottom of the league but gave us a very difficult game, refusing to lie down after we took an early lead. We had numerous injury problems for this game so ended up playing a 3-1-4-1-1 diamond in this game that just about worked overall. The team is flying at the moment.

View attachment 76920

Our winning run is brought to a halt by a late equaliser from Brighton. Very frustrating as we dominated the match in my opinion until a late onslaught from them where they pulled out an equaliser. Fabian Delph was outstanding in a carrilero role.

View attachment 76919

Wow this was bad. Less said the better, West Ham got revenge from our victory earlier on in the season against them at the London Stadium. FA Cup dream over for another season.

View attachment 76918

Superb win, just look at the match stats - we deserved this one. Matt Ritchie is having one **** of a season for us, I feel like my faith in him has been repaid. Couldn't help but notice Joel playing ahead of Pickford, that could be helpful seeing as we need a talented sweeper keeper...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary

View attachment 76917

View attachment 76916

4 wins 1 draw 1 loss 7 goals for 7 goals against

We're on a very good run and our win against Everton took us to the 40 point mark before March. I think from Bournemouth in 6th to Watford in 15th is now completely interchangeable. Lets continue our strong recent form. Look at the number of goals Swansea have scored.

View attachment 76915

Arsenal win the EFL Cup, defeating Watford in the final.

View attachment 76914

After over a month of trying to shift Aleksandar Mitrovic, he has finally left. He wanted first team football and on £60,000 per week, he was the third highest earner at the club.

View attachment 76913

Our biggest staff appointment so far. Victor Orta is a Newcastle supporter with a very good eye for players. I have snapped him from Leeds on a 3 year contract and his role as DoF will be to identify me players I should be targeting. With the new scouting system, I've found that I'm using my DoF to suggest transfer targets a lot more than before.

View attachment 76912

It was our first youth intake in charge of Newcastle and I am quite excited by young Ryan Reeves. I wish his aggression was higher as it can't develop and as a target man that would be a desirable attribute. He still may have a future in the team.

View attachment 76911

Next month sees us travel to the Emirates and Stamford Bridge in two very difficult away games, before hosting Southampton and Stoke. The pressure is off, lets keep the good run going.

10th after 29 games is a great position to be in.

What's your targets between now and the end of the season? You got your eye on many players for the summer?

10th after 29 games is a great position to be in.

What's your targets between now and the end of the season? You got your eye on many players for the summer?

Thanks mate. When I started this save, my intentions were to complete my first season, still in the Premier League and still manager of Newcastle, that has happened. Then season 2 the target was a top half finish with season 3 a Europa League spot. Things have went better than I had first anticipated so my goal has to be a top half finish for this season now.

In terms of players to bring in, I have a shortlist of players in mind but I will discuss them at length at the end of the season. I will tell you that I am on the look out for 5/6 players: a goalkeeper, a centre-back, a "proper" left back (I sold Dummett to Everton for £7.5 million in January), a complete central midfielder to pair with Matt Ritchie and Mikel Merino, a right winger and a striker. I do not wish to gamble with signings this early on, so I will have a shortlist and try stay true to that shortlist - I don't mind not spending all my budget, better that than spending it on inadequate players.

March 2018

View attachment 76681

"One way to keep momentum going is to have constantly greater goals"
Michael Korda

View attachment 76680

We kick off our good form from last month with a very solid win against Southampton. We took the lead through Dwight Gayle (a recurring theme of this season) early on and when young Portuguese full-back Diego Dalot was went off inside the first half hour of the game, we knew that the game was ours for the taking. MOTM performance again from Matt Ritchie

View attachment 76679

What an outstanding win. We've been on the receiving end of a few frustrating 3-2 defeats, but we got the luck in this one. Danny Welbeck gave Arsenal the lead within a minute, something I thought would thwart any chance we had to get a result, but Ritchie brought us level with a brilliant goal. Welbeck put them ahead just before half-time before a lot of luck and some incredible fight from the team brought us level. Arsenal began to push forward for a winner but after Matt Ritchie launched a ball over the defence, Joselu blasted the ball home to give us all 3 points. Fantastic stuff from the lads.

View attachment 76678

Unfortunately - lightning doesn't strike twice. Chelsea trample us on their way to 3 points and all but securing their second consecutive title and third in four seasons. We actually took the lead through Jonjo Shelvey's deflected strike but it wasn't to be as an Eden Hazard masterclass defeated us.

View attachment 76677

Back to winning ways. We've been excellent of late, I feel like the signings of Vallejo and Delph and the switch to a more conventional 4-1-2-3 have really given us what we needed to push on. Our two key players this season - Dwight Gayle and Matt Ritchie - finding the back of the net in this one. 8 wins in our last 11 games tells you all you need to know at the moment.

Summary

View attachment 76676

View attachment 76675

3 wins 0 draws 1 loss 8 goals for 7 goals against

We are absolutely flying at the moment. Our recent form has seen us go from mid-table mediocrity to chasing Europe. Since Arsenal won the EFL cup, 7th place will get European football next season. Thought I am not sure the squad is near big enough to compete in Europe next season, we have to try our best to achieve the European dream, having given ourselves such a good opportunity.

View attachment 76671

View attachment 76669

Another new contract signed and another year added on. I had to take advantage of the feel-good atmosphere currently surrounding the club.

View attachment 76668

5 games to go in the season and we know that if we keep up our current form, European football is a very distinct possibility. I think that 10 points has to be the target. Even if we fall now, the players have significantly overachieved this season.

April 2018

View attachment 1135595View attachment 1135595
View attachment 76505View attachment 1135595

"There's only two types of managers. Those who've been sacked and those who will be sacked in the future."
Howard Wilkinson

View attachment 76511

Aaargh. Maybe a good point at the start of the season but for our European ambitions, we really should have landed all 3 points. Hernandez stunted our start before Murphy and Gayle put us in a strong position. Edmilson Fernandes scored a goal after our defence switch off.

View attachment 76510

JOSELU!!! What a win, I thought we'd struggle to outclass the Arsenal victory but this has done that. Outstanding come back from the lads, we had no right to even be in the game. A Karl Darlow long ball played through Joselu who's composed finish gives us an absolutely huge 3 points. Mikel Merino was absolutely outstanding for us. The dream continues.

View attachment 76509

The best performance of my reign so far. Not only have we defeated Manchester City, we have dominated them. We limited them to one shot the entire match and our front three of Murphy, Atsu and Gayle were creating havoc all game. Jacob Murphy with two very well taken goals - he has had a very solid season in terms of his output. Delighted.

Summary

View attachment 76508

View attachment 76507

2 wins 1 draw 0 losses 7 goals for 4 goals against

We didn't win the easier game in the month but then defeated both Manchester sides. Football. After the North London sides poor start to the campaign, the top 6 have assembled now. We will finish between 5th and 9th, it is in our hands.

View attachment 76506

2 wins from our final 2 games should be enough for the Europa League. Could newly promoted Newcastle qualify for Europe? Time to start believing.

May 2018

View attachment 76328

"We're not here just to take part...we're here to take over"
Conor McGregor

View attachment 76327

View attachment 76326

Absolutely massive win - we're on the brink of Europe. Dwight Gayle, our talisman, again shows up when we need him to sink Watford. The Hornets will feel hard done by, probably being the better team, but on our current form, we feel like we can win any game. A win against an already relegated Swansea will take The Magpies back into Europe.

View attachment 76325

View attachment 76324

View attachment 76323

WE'VE DONE IT, WE'VE ****** DONE IT!! Not only have we qualified for the Europe League, we have qualified straight to the group stages after Arsenal stumbled. We may have conceded 3 goals to a Swansea team that previously scored 19 all season, but Matt Ritchie came up clutch and took us into Europe. Unbelievable.

View attachment 76321

View attachment 76322

A fantastic season for the club, succeeded even the most ambitious fans season expectations. We split the big 6, after finishing ahead of Arsenal. Chelsea absolutely dominated the league and were a class above.

View attachment 76320

One for the CV. Fantastic honour in the first season at the club. Hopefully there are plenty more to come.

View attachment 76319

To show how good we were in the latter part of the season, we were 2 points off being the best team in the division.

View attachment 76318

View attachment 76317

The club is taking steps forward to match my ambitions. Particularly delighted with the stadium expansion.

View attachment 76316

View attachment 76315

View attachment 76314

It was a case of third time lucky as Atletico finally defeat city rivals Real to win the Champions League, thumping them 4-0. Man City do the same double that United did the season before by wining both the FA Cup and Europa League.

Cracking 1st season mate and time to re-evaluate next seasons targets? ;)

Was always going to read this when I seen the name Santiago Munez! I was curious why you didn't make him out as a player and getting the move to Newcastle originally like in Goal but that has no significance anyway. This is class. I like how you have been changing it up tactically and getting some right good results along the way. Be interesting to see your additions in the summer.

Season Summary 2017/2018

View attachment 76003

View attachment 76002

View attachment 76001

View attachment 76000

View attachment 75997

View attachment 75999

View attachment 75998

Nothing short of a disgrace that Robbie Brady was picked ahead of Matt Ritchie in the TOTS. You can see just from the key passes how much play went through him. Notice the very low average ratings for the league as a whole, surprising to say the least. We scored more goals than both Manchester teams!

View attachment 75996
View attachment 75995

View attachment 75994

Matt Ritchie and Dwight Gayle were without doubt our key men in our campaign. The plan for next season must be to keep building around Ritchie, who excelled in his central midfield role.

View attachment 75991

Very surprised to see Christian Atsu now labelled as a team leader. I have some concern with the amount of "other players" and would like a more cohesive squad. Luckily for me, most if not all of the "other players" will be moved on.

View attachment 75990

Now that is a budget to work with. A lot can be done with £50 million, but it is imperative that we sign players to improve the team and will hit the ground running. Big window coming up.

View attachment 75989

Arsene Wenger resigned from Arsenal to take the France job with Roberto Mancini replacing him. Looks like Arsenal fans finally got what they wanted...

Summer 2018

View attachment 75969

View attachment 75962

The first port of call in any transfer window is to identify the positions that need strengthened and identify how high on the priority list they are. For my Newcastle squad, it was as followed.

1. [*=center]Complete central midfielder.
    [*=center]Ball-playing centre back.
    [*=center]Striker
    [*=center]Goalscoring wide player
    [*=center]Attack minded natural left-back.
    [*=center]Sweeper keeper

A few days after the season had finished, the first signing was made...

View attachment 75968

View attachment 75967

Helder Costa signs from Jorge Mendes influenced Wolves. I had been scouting him every game for the latter half of the season and it was clear from match reports and his average rating that he was far too good for the Championship. He had a £19 million release clause to clubs in a higher division, but on Wolves winning the Championship that would have became void, so I had to move fast. Although he is similar to Christian Atsu, I see Costa fitting into the right winger position as an inside forward. A relatively expensive transfer but I feel he will succeed.

On identifying a centre back, my criteria required was difficult. I wanted a centre back who excelled in anticipation, decision making and positioning. Naturally, these attributes tend to be greater in older players, but I also wanted a player either in his peak or about to hit it (< 26). The defender would also need to be very comfortable on the ball and be able to start our attacks.

My shortlist that I drew up was as follows;
Harry Maguire (Leicester)
Benjamin Pavard (Stuttgart)
Jesus Vallejo (Real Madrid)

Vallejo had some experience with the side but if I was to get him it would only be possible on a loan deal. Maguire and Pavard were ambitious signings, both would be perfect in my system. After weeks of trying to to persuade Pavard to join, it became apparent that nothing less than his £52 million buyout was going to be enough.
After beginning to give up and looking towards a second tier of options, my Director of Football made me aware of Harry Maguire being interested in a transfer and Leicester being open to an offer. I moved swiftly and we landed the Englishman for a ridiculously low fee of £16 million upfront potentially rising to £20.5 million - a bargain in my eyes.

View attachment 75965

View attachment 75964

Next signing was one of convenience rather than a great need. Douglas Luiz from Manchester City became available for a loan deal and we swooped in to land the Brazilian youngster. With us being in the Europa League, we will need to rotate more and he can cover all midfield positions.

View attachment 75963

View attachment 75961

So here's an issue - I had no idea that the transfer window closing before the first game of the season came into effect as soon as the 2018/2019 season. Therefore I approached deadline day still without a goalkeeper, left-back, striker and though we signed Douglas Luiz, he was never intended to be my complete central midfielder.

My first decision for deadline day was that I will stick with Karl Darlow for the time being. It wasn't an urgent position to replace, but one I felt was there to upgrade if the right player came along. I had made a realistic shortlist of Mathew Ryan (Brighton, available for £5.25 - 7.5 million), Ben Foster (West Brom, available for £3 - 4.5 million) and Pepe Reina (Napoli, available for £2 - 2.5 million). We actually had had a deal for Ben Foster all but agreed but I decided against it at the last moment as our money could be better invested elsewhere and felt that Karl Darlow will suffice until I can obtain one of my bigger goalkeeping targets (Kasper Schmeichel, Jordan Pickford or Jack Butland).

We spent the entire summer chasing after one striker in particular. Danny Welbeck. I think he would thrive in my system and his injury issues aside, he represents the exact type of striker I want. Dynamic, powerful, quick and works very hard. Unfortunately, even though he only has 12 months left on his contract and Arsenal were happy to accept a £15 million bid, he didn't want to come. Hopefully, this story is unfinished and I will continue pursuing him until he signs a new contract. I considered a late move for Danny Ings but similar to the goalkeeping situation, decided that Dwight Gayle and him are very similar and to wait it our for someone better.

So where did this leave me? Severely lacking players.

I consulted with my Director of Football to try bring a left back in on loan, seeing as I couldn't identify someone who was good enough to rotate with Delph.
Luke Shaw was available in order to prove his fitness for Jose Mourinho...but for a big fee. A monthly fee of £325k whilst paying £80,000 per week of his wages was required and since we were desperate I decided to pay it, but only for 6 months. He will provide a stop gap until January. He is a great player and a coup for the club, but at his fee I do worry. Might be a disaster but it was needed.

View attachment 75959

That was one issue sorted but I still had the big issue of not having a complete midfielder which I felt strongly we needed. I targeted Mario Lemina (Southampton) but whilst he was initially interested, he signed a six-figure a week contract with Southampton and we had no way of competing. My second tier of initial targets were Harry Arter (Bournemouth), Jeff Hendrick (Burnley) and Pascal Gross (Brighton). After much scouting and contemplation, I concluded that they were all too expensive, even Gross who was relegated with Brighton.

On deadline day I was left desperate and looked to the loan market (again) to secure a signing. After throwing some bids on Roberto Pereyra (Watford) and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Liverpool), I found that Dani Ceballos was available for a loan deal and we had an offer accepted but then I noticed Marco Rog hadn't been playing for Napoli. An offer was made with an option to buy for £4.5 million and we snapped up the Croat with minutes left of deadline day.
Delighted with this one, I think he is as good as any of the other targets I had.

View attachment 75955

Transfer Summary

View attachment 75953View attachment 75954

We managed to get rid of some unwanted players. Matt Sels and Henri Saivet got good fees, Lazaar's wasn't too unreasonable but we should have got more for Ayoze Perez and Rob Lee. In the end, it's players that I didn't want off of the wage bill.

Squad Overview

View attachment 75952

As I said previously, Karl Darlow will remain between the sticks after a good season for us last season. Freddie Woodman has been promoted to second choice and I am keen to play him in cup matches.

View attachment 75951

We have very good depth in the heart of our defence, Harry Maguire and Ciaran Clark will be our first choice partnership and I think they will compliment each other very well.

View attachment 75949

Though we may look frail at full back with only two "natural" players in that position, I like to have a small squad with versatile players. Therefore Mbemba and Delph suit me perfectly.

View attachment 75946

We are stacked in central midfield. Matt Ritchie and Mikel Merino are the key men and Marko Rog will play on the right hand side of the trio as a Mezzala. I feel like my midfield has every profile of midfield in it other than an advanced playmaker. Daniel Barlaser impressed on loan at Blackpool in League 1 last season so will be a squad player for us this season.

View attachment 75944

The addition of Helder Costa is bound to improve us going forward. Him and Atsu will more than likely be first choice.

View attachment 75943

Dwight Gayle will hopefully continue his excellent form from the back end of last season. Joselu did better than anticipated last season so therefore will continue as second choice this season. Adam Armstrong impressed on loan in the Championship, netting double figures so will be given opportunities.

Pre-Season

View attachment 75942

View attachment 75935

Well, pre-season doesn't get much better than that. We look raring to go for the new season.

Last edited:
Brilliantly written up and some great business, that CB surprised me with how good he looks!

(can I say it's slightly hard to see some of the player attributes in the screenshots as the blue on a dark background doesn't stand out)

Brilliantly written up and some great business, that CB surprised me with how good he looks!

(can I say it's slightly hard to see some of the player attributes in the screenshots as the blue on a dark background doesn't stand out)

Thank you - in my opinion, other than Stones, he's the best British defender I could have got for my team. Apologies for the colour of the attributes, I'll try remember to change them!

I'm amazed you can read those attribute colours too!

Harry Maguire is class on this year's game it would seem... looks like solid business all round this summer, though blimey you have a lot of central midfielders.

August 2018

View attachment 75073

"Look around. There are no enemies here. There's just good old-fashioned rivalries"
Bob Wells

View attachment 75072

A throughly disappointing way to start the season. The Tyne-Wear derby represented the first opportunity for me to gain some local bragging rights, but it wasn't to be as we conceded 2 goals in 2 minutes to Middlesbrough's new strike force.

View attachment 75071

A Matt Ritchie masterclass get us our first points of the season against a hardworking Leicester side. We dominated the game, with 22 shots created in the match, I was pleased to get our season up and running.

View attachment 75070

What could have been. We went in at half time leading the game and created a respectable amount of opportunities, our three players playing off of Gayle attacking well. Pep Guardiola will have riled his side up at half time and they came out firing in the second half and to top it all of, Harry Maguire was sent off at 1-1 - leading to our ultimate demise.

Summary

View attachment 75069

1 win 0 draws 2 losses 3 goals for 6 goals against

An underwhelming start to the season but at least we managed to get the win against Leicester. We have a good amount of new players looking to settle in and the quicker they adapt, the better.

View attachment 75068

A fair Europa League group, a competition I won't be prioritising but I will put out a fair team throughout the group stages. Besiktas represent an interesting tie. I think it will be between us and Ludogorets for 2nd.

View attachment 75067

Very nervous to hear the result of Brexit on PL transfers. Hopefully we avoid a truly hard Brexit...

View attachment 75066

4 home games compared to 1 away game next month represents a good opportunity t get some points on the board. 4 wins is definitely achievable.

Not a great start, i'm sure you'd have expected to get something out of the Boro' game. (FYI Newcastle vs Boro is Tyne-Tees derby, Newcastle vs Sunderland is the tyne-wear derby :p)