saving or using up transfer funds??

churros

Reaction score
Every transfer window the board pumps in a certain amount of money to spend on transfers, but is there a point in saving it up? Does the saved up sum get carried over and adds on to the next transfer window?

e.g. saved funds 10m next transfer window board provides 20m = 30m total next window? or does the board keep it as 20m regardless how much was spent before?

If it's the latter then can we safely agree that there's absolutely no point in saving transfer funds? Which means the same can be said for wage budgets.

My board's never given me anything but grief, so i have to save!

The saved sum doesn't get carried over but that doesn't mean there is no point in saving funds.
If you spend all your money every window then your club will always either be on the point of debt or in debt, if you do save transfer funds then you'll get slightly more or the same next window but your clubs overall financial position will improve.
Meaning your club will be able to improve facilities, be able to keep giving you large transfer funds for big players and carry on making more money.

i only spend it if i know the club have enough in reserve, im currently managing plymouth argyle, the board keep giving me 2-3 million a year to spend but we only have about 1 million in the bank so im not going to spend it unless im making stupid profits a month, which currently im not

If you have debt, I would try not to spend the money needlessly.

Also randomly buying players just because you have money can later cause you headaches as it means more man-management and more rotation problems to deal with.

Also it's not very realistic.

Also it's not very realistic.
that's the issue. we're given accounts on our club's finances but have no idea how any of it is applied or utilised that actually factors into our management!

i always sell old players with high wages to reduce the wage budget and be better off financially, eg selling joe cole and doni at liverpool etc

The saved sum doesn't get carried over but that doesn't mean there is no point in saving funds.
If you spend all your money every window then your club will always either be on the point of debt or in debt, if you do save transfer funds then you'll get slightly more or the same next window but your clubs overall financial position will improve.
Meaning your club will be able to improve facilities, be able to keep giving you large transfer funds for big players and carry on making more money.

Depends which club your managing. If you are managing one which has a sugar daddy chairman (eg City) you can spend what they give you because they will 'top up' your bank balance if needed and won't let you go into debt

Depends which club your managing. If you are managing one which has a sugar daddy chairman (eg City) you can spend what they give you because they will 'top up' your bank balance if needed and won't let you go into debt
That applies to so few clubs though and if you get into the habbit of being smart with your money you shouldn't ever have to worry about being able to afford a player/upgraded facilities.

To say that spending all your money creates debt is false. With my Brighton save I got 13 mil after being promoted as champions in Championship and I spend all on new players and my wage is at its max. I make min of 1 mil profit every month.

That applies to so few clubs though and if you get into the habbit of being smart with your money you shouldn't ever have to worry about being able to afford a player/upgraded facilities.

Yes that's true there aren't many sugar daddy chairmen but going back to OP any unspent money won't be rolled over. But what you said about if you spend all the transfer budget you will always be in debt or brink of debt is wrong. The board take every into account before setting the season budgets. The way people get into trouble is over using 48 months payments transfer option which allow you to go over the initial budget.