Saving Scottish Football 2021

Season 24 Review

Managers
SPL managers.png

7 teams changed managers over the year & Hibs and Dundee Utd making another change along the way. Hearts & Dundee Utd will have a new manager for the 2044/45 season. Carlos at Dundee Utd was unlucky after winning both domestic cups but a poor league run. Wonder if they will finally meet FFP rules this summer.

Dundee Squad
Squad 3.png
Squad 2.png
Squad 1 pics go 321.png

Fernandez is my no1 Christie back up not sure if the u18s that are moving up are ready yet so expect no changes here.
The back 4 was solid but unspectacular. Rizzo & Casanova are a solid CB pairing that may be split to make room for Bruce Smalls. Almeida was class Uribe was a bit of a letdown. Will have to see how the backups are doing out on loan.
The midfield looks awful but I'm guessing their lack of goals & assists is letting their ratings down. I'm expecting movement here and really hope someone bids for Melkemichel despite being my best midfielder there is so much depth ready to take his spot.
Upfront i thought i had a star in Koral who added 19 goals this season but the real story was my player of the year Joao Miranda who won every major stat battle except pass completion

My Player of the Season
Joao Miranda
Plauyer of year.png

I knew i found a gem of a player from Pacos De Ferreira but he's already gone beyond my expectations leading the team in goals and assists in his first season at the club.

Final SPL Table
SPL fina;.png

The most open SPL title race in years went our way in the end keeping Aberdeen & Celtic at arm's length over the last few months. Dundee Utd was the 4th force in the league and will be glad to get Europa League football next term. Hearts despite sacking their manager was the season's overachievers while Hibs will have to make do with no European football next year with an awful 7th place finish. St Mirren ended the season well leaving Kilie, Dunfermline & Ross County as favourites for the drop next term.

SPL Play-Off
Ross County 4-3 Hamilton
SPL playoff.png

The Championship runner ups gave all they had but could not overcome the SPL side so only Falkirk will be joining the SPL next term

Europe
Hibs almost won back to back Europa Leagues but i finally won it instead.

Club Euro Rankings
5th +1 71,750

coefficants.png

We jump the Italians after another glorious season for the Scottish game. France is very much in our sights. This means we now have 3UCL teams, 2EL teams, 1EC​

Europa League Final 2044
Imagine forgetting to post the biggest game in your save and the club's history

Hibs vs Dundee
Hibs had a really easy run to the semi-finals before copying us in pulling off a massive upset over a London side to join us in the final

Hibs 0-2 Dundee
Match.png

After 24 years finally, i have a European trophy in the bag. The game was a fight where Hibs were the better side in the first half then we took over in the second half but did not take our chances till the 77th minute when we won a penalty and with missing Koral stepped up to score the biggest goal of his life. We immediately shut up shop and caught Hibs on the counter with almost the last kick of the ball Silima off the bench secured an SPL & Europa League double.​

Dundee Season 25
Pre Season 2045/46

Final Season
The final season is upon us. A shame that i only got through 6 clubs but after winning the Europa League and FM22 almost upon us it's time to bring an end to this save. I Will post some before and afters at the end of the year then sim a bit into the future to see how the world rolled on

Season Targets
SPL - Winner
Scottish Cup - Winner
League Cup - Winner
Europe - Champions League - Last 16

Now that we've won the league i expect us to go after all 3 Domestic titles. In Europe i want to get out of the group, getting to the last 16 would be amazing. Hopefully, we get the no1 seed after winning the Europa League

SPL Pre Season Prices
SPL preview.png

Imagine being the defending champions but only being 7th favourites at 33/1! To be fair i expect Dundee Utd & Hibs to put in a stronger showing this season.

Managers
Managers.png

Rangers boss Stuart Kettlewell moves up to Dundee Utd after a career of failure and sackings. He's replaced at Rangers by former Wimbledon caretaker regen manager Kevin Hardy, Not sure what to make of that.

Dundee Transfers

In
Tranfers in.png

We broke our own transfer window twice as we worked to make the first team stronger.

DR - Srdjan Tomic
In tomic.png

Our wing back was poor last term and i had no Almeyda si Tomic will be at least a rival if not the starting DR

DC - Ibrahim Sangare
In Ibra sangare dc.png

The middle of the defence was not an issue last season but getting an upgrade on low wages is a no brainer. Lots of depth here now.

MC - Catello Di Crosta
In Di Crosta.png

Ortega's loan move showed me that i need a class DM for the big games and it made all the difference. Sampdoria's Di Crosta is the perfect replacement who can move to Dr or MC if we're desperate.

Youths
Youth 1.png
Youth 2.png
Youth 3.png
Youth 4.png
Youth 5.png

5 youngsters join. A few are already 19 so will feature in the first team more than usual.

Out
Tranfers out.png

Despite spending big we almost doubled what we spent while losing no key starters. Melkemichel was the only regular player i sold but with 3 MRs younger and better he had to go. Baxter was never going to break through our batch of strikers but Lyon got a good deal here. Mohamed never did anything to breakthrough after 2 loan spells, Perez fell down the depth chart to hardly play last season. Caciatore was bought on a free to sell for a profit. Feels like we should have got more. Tshipamba made no impact or progress in his season as a backup and Liverpool took him out of my way. He better not turn out class. The other sales were youths that never made it.​

August

Fixtures
FIx.png

Wins overall 4 league games including away to favourites Aberdeen in the opening game. We also thrashed Kilmarnock in League Cup with backups.

SPL Table
SPL.png

We haven't dropped a point, Falkirk has yet to win one. Aberdeen, Celtic, Hearts & Rangers are all on 4 points with 1 win.

European Super Cup
Dundee 0-1 Hertha
Super Cup.png

We ran the champions league winners close but just couldn't get a goal and that would have got us another trophy.

Champions League Draw
CL Group.png

Atletico is still the best Spanish side while Leipzig is a tough 3rd seed. Basel must give us 6 points if we have any chance to get through

SPL Transfer Window
SPL Transfers.png
SPL Transfers 2.png

Aberdeen goes out and buy a new squad while the other sides are very quiet.

Dundee
DUndee.png

In comes a u19 midfielder but we lose two first-teamers in Franque Silima who concerned me that Man Utd was bidding but also he never developed with us. Meanwhile starting striker Mustafa Koral was trying to force a move so i offered him out for his min fee and he's gone to Levante. That's what you want to do leave Champions League football for Levante​

August

Fixtures
View attachment 565393

Wins overall 4 league games including away to favourites Aberdeen in the opening game. We also thrashed Kilmarnock in League Cup with backups.

SPL Table
View attachment 565394

We haven't dropped a point, Falkirk has yet to win one. Aberdeen, Celtic, Hearts & Rangers are all on 4 points with 1 win.

European Super Cup
Dundee 0-1 Hertha
View attachment 565395

We ran the champions league winners close but just couldn't get a goal and that would have got us another trophy.

Champions League Draw
View attachment 565396

Atletico is still the best Spanish side while Leipzig is a tough 3rd seed. Basel must give us 6 points if we have any chance to get through

SPL Transfer Window
View attachment 565397View attachment 565398

Aberdeen goes out and buy a new squad while the other sides are very quiet.

Dundee
View attachment 565399

In comes a u19 midfielder but we lose two first-teamers in Franque Silima who concerned me that Man Utd was bidding but also he never developed with us. Meanwhile starting striker Mustafa Koral was trying to force a move so i offered him out for his min fee and he's gone to Levante. That's what you want to do leave Champions League football for Levante​

September

Fixtures
FIX.png

We returned from the international break asleep at the wheel for a defeat at Ibrox before rallying back with 3 wins in the league and one in the Cup including thrashing both Edinburgh teams.

SPL Table
SPL.png

So were top and miles clear at the early stages with all the contenders clumped together with Dunfermline.

Champions League
CL.png

It's a consistent start at least. Two away draws before the doubleheader with Atletico will decide our fate

October

Fixtures
Fix.png

Not sure what to make of this month. We thrashed last season rivals Celtic but lost to this season favourites Dundee Utd beat Ross County & then Airdrie in the League cup sets up a December final against Celtic.

SPL Table
SPL.png

We'd be well clear if we hadn't lost to Dundee Utd. The rest of the top 5 are holding on. Hearts are the letdown of the season while Falkirk looks like there in for a rough season.

Champions League
CL.png

Only one game and our first loss. We deserved something from this game but the defeat os a big blow to our hopes of top 2.​

November

Fixtures
Fix.png

No problems in November. We thrashed Aberdeen who was our only serious foe's. Dropped points to Dunfermline after resting the first team. Not good enough but can live with it.

SPL Table
SPL.png

7 points clear of Aberdeen. Hearts are screaming for help and out of the top 6.

Champions League
CL.png

I've no idea how we didn't win either of these games is beyond me. Dominated Atletico after they went down to 10 men and were the better team at home to Leipzig. If we can avoid defeat in Basel we can salvage a Europa League spot.

Last edited:

December

League Cup Final
Match.png

A comfortable win over Celtic puts us on our first steps towards a treble

Fixtures
Fix.png

We are dominant in the league with 5 wins each one easier than the last

SPL Table
SPL.png

The gap at the top is up to 12 points so if we can carry this form through to February we'll be able to fully focus on another Europa League challenge

Champions League
CL.png

We won the game to secure 3rd place. Shame that i went 25 years without a Champions League win losing 2 finals along the way but a 2nd Europa title would be a nice way to go out.

Europa League Draw
EL draw.png

This is harder than most of the games we had last season.​

January

Fixtures
Fix.png

Big wins everywhere except from the 1-1 draw with our last rivals standing Aberdeen. To be fair it was the 3rd tough game on the road in a row and 7 out of 9 from that run is more than acceptable.

SPL Table
SPL.png

Gaps now up to 14 points and the title is all but in the bag so we can focus on the Europa League and Scottish Cup

SPL Transfer Window

Dundee
Dundee trnfs.png

We signed 7 players for the U18s. One going right into the first team. No sales which will make for a very busy summer.

Ian Fee - DR
In fee.png

The best Scottish teenager I've seen since Connolly. He'll play plenty of games and see's £20m go to another SPL team.

SPL Transfers
SPL Transfers.png

Busy sales window for the other teams.​

February

Fixtures
FIx.png

We played a quality cup tie with Aberdeen before comfortably beating every other domestic team except Rangers who put up a fight at Ibrox

SPL Table
SPL.png

14 points clear with 9 to go. it SHOULD be in the bag

Europa League Last 32
Dundee 3-1 Monchengladbach
Europa 32.png

Tough first leg but got the job done over in Germany

Last 16 draw
Europa 16.png

Not a bad draw here.​

March

Fixtures
FIx.png

4 wins and 4 clean sheets as we secure back to back titles before the breaks.

SPL Table
SPL.png

We win the league with our 18 point gap to Aberdeen. We could finish the league with double the points of the old firm teams.

Europa League Last 16
Dundee 4-0 Real Sociedad
EUropa match.png

We win both legs with ease to reach the Quarterfinals

Q/F Draw
Dundee vs CS Craiova
EL Draw.png

We get by far the easiest draw against the Romanians.​

April

Fixtures
FIx.png

With the league overall all we had to do domestically was win the Scottish Cup. We lost to Dundee Utd in Extra Time.

Europa League Q/F
Dundee 4-0 Craiova
CL match.png

We win both legs 2-0 to easily win the tie.

Europa League S/F
Dundee 3-2 Caen
CL Sf, 2nd pic.png

We get the 2nd bye in the semi-finals but made far harder work of it to reach the final. What a way to go out!​

Europa League Final 2046

The final game of the save We usually end with a European defeat

final.png

Keeping with tradition we lose my final game

End of Save Post

Starting coefficients
Coefficant start.png

Ending coefficients
Coefficant end.png

Over a three-time gain in points over the 26 years. Major achievement jumping Italy and we were on track for passing France. Another 2 decades and I'd be very confident of being 3rd

Champions League
CL.png

I lost finals with Aberdeen & Dundee Utd who also lost one themselves. Amazing that the English premiership only won 1 title in the last decade.

Europa League
Celtic 2032/33
Hearts 2037/38
Dundee 2044/45

Celtic Hibs & Dundee Utd twice were also runner ups

Europa Conference
EC.png

Celtic 2025/26, 2035/36
Hearts 2029/30
Hibs 2043/44

More Scottish success with 4 wins with Rangers losing 2 finals and Hearts one too.

European Club Rankings
EUropean rankings.png

5 teams in Europe top 40s. My biggest regret is not getting a team into the top 5 before moving on.

SPL
Spl History.png

Plenty change at the top with Dundee Utd becoming one of the best teams in the world following on from Aberdeen & Hibs dominant half decades. Hearts did almost all the work themselves to become a force at home and in Europe. The old firm kept in touch with Celtic at least. Rangers have been out of the top 3 for 16 seasons. The biggest fallers from the 1st season are Livingston who is in the bottom half of league 1. The biggest risers are also in league 1. The champions East Kilbride.

Scottish Cup
SCo Cup.png

Dundee Utd & Hibs won this almost exclusively. No old Firm with since 2023.

League Cup
SCo LEague Cup.png

The Cup trophy i could actually win! Ranger & Celtic's last domestic trophies

Stadiums
Stadiums.png

Dundee Utd, Aberdeen, Hibs & Hearts all have stadiums fit to host big European nights. Dundee is also building a new stadium which will be the 7th biggest at 22,000. In the real world that would be 3rd biggest.

The most Expensive Scottish player
Most expensive scot.png

Big jump from the £3m&£4m moves earlier on. Not sure how Scottish Francisco Gil sounds.

Scotland National team
Sco national record.png

They never reached the heights of 20 again after sacking me. Missed out on the generational midfield of Waterston & Gilchrist. All they had to shout about was their run to the 2032 Euro finals. This is the biggest what could have been of this save!

Table.png
Table2.png

That's it for FM21
And that's it. One of my favourites saves in a few years. Really considered not buying FM22 and keeping going with this story.

Youtubers have taken over the world and interactions with the storeys are far less than they used to be in years gone by. The biggest reason for me backing off on the storys is the time it takes to write them up. In-season updates are fine, usually a 10-minute job but some of the major updates take ages to write, time i could be storming through the game and with other commitments piling up the time i have for FM is at an all-time low.

For FM22 i hope to get a save together with Klippybo usually after the January transfer window once patch 22.3 is out with Januarys transfers done & all the bugs ironed out. Until then it has always been a pleasure and thanks to everyone who commented, contacted or read this or any story.​

fair play mate, 26 seasons spanning a whole year is some feat especially winning the SPL with so many different clubs!