Saving Scottish Football 2021

October

Fixtures
Fix.png

Unbeaten in our 3 games against the top 6 teams and thrashed Hamilton in the other game. We held on for fighting wins over Hibs & Celtic but the true test of how far we've come was to be against Dundee Utd who had exclusively thrashed us in all our head to heads but after taking the lead early united's only way back into it was from a questionable penalty.

SPL Table
SPL.png

The decision to loan Rodolfo looks better by the day as he scores the goals that take us to the tied top in the league almost 1/4 of the way through.

November

celtic sack.png

Celtic are the first team to make a manager change taking Ali Foster who has only been at St Mirren for a few months out of Arbroath

Fixtures
Fix.png

The month begins with a fantastic win over Rangers in the league cup with a 91st-minute own goal set up a Dundee derby for the league cup final. The draw with Airdrie was disappointing and all on me for resting too many players. We round out the month beating other strugglers Raith and Ross County. Barron celebrates his run in the first team by banging in the goals.

SPL Table
SPL.png

We still hold a 3 point lead from the unbeaten defending champions. I imagine this is as good as it will get with the 4 clubs closest to us are all away to finish up there European games for Christmas.​

December

Scottish League Cup Final 2041
Dundee 1-0 Dundee Utd

Leagie cip fina;.png

12 months from being bottom of the league here we are beating the Champions League finalists in the dirtiest cup final you'll ever see. 12 different players 8 for us were booked in the 90 minutes, i have no idea how nobody was sent off or how we kept a clean sheet with Alan Christie having the game of his life to hold off the United onslaught after the loanee Rodolfo had scored what turned out to be the only goal of the game.

Fixtures

FIx.png

A solid month as is expected these days. It all started with Hearts getting everyone injured after half time and we walked over there 9 men. We lost to Rangers where i assume everyone was still hungover or tired as i rested some of the first-teamers against St Mirren and we won before going to Aberdeen to beat my old pal Barry Robson who is caretaker yet again after they finally sacked Dingwall a year into his disastrous reign. I was offered the job but of course, turned it down. We only beat them with a stoppage-time winner and they still easily have a top 3 squad at worst. Hibs was our final stop before the winter break and we fell 2 behind before halftime. I made some attacking changes and if we scored a late penalty we would have completed an amazing comeback but a point against one of our closest rivals.

SPL Table
SPL.png

We reach the halfway stage and Dundee United are top and still unbeaten in the league. They have drawn 7 games however which is why the league is so close with Dundee & Hibs right on their tail. Rangers are leading tier 2 with Ross County well on track to their best season ever under former Reading defender Tom Mcintyre. Aberdeen has a big choice to make for their new manager, i don't want to have to go back again and sort them out. They are underachieving more than Hearts & Celtic who are looking up under new management with only Hibs and Dundee Utd beating regen Ali Forster in his first 7 games

January

Fixtures
Fix.png

I can't help but feel I've just shot our season in the foot. A draw with Dundee Utd was credible, the draw with Hamilton was scandalous then we were pish against Celtic too. At least we kick of February with 3 easy games.

SPL Table
SPL'.png

Hibs joined us in the dropping points club while Aberdeen is showing instant progress and Dundee Utd are gone at the top. At least we got a point off them.

Transfer Window

Dundee
A quiet window was the plan. Let's keep the squad together and have a real go at the Champions League...

In
dundee im.png

That did not happen

in1.png
in2.png

The first 3 are instant upgrades. Garcia will be behind Jovanovic at MR but Perez DC and Ferreirinha DL will go right into the first 11.

Three youngsters also join. All will get some first-team action this term, especially Ferry.
youth 1.png
youth 2.png
youth 3.png

Out
dundee out.png

On the first day of the window, i had a double blow as i effectively lost my two team leaders. Jack Lake got a offer north of £8m. As a building club, there was no way i could turn that down but it has cost me the team leader and the teams best player. Adam Dunn is only a loss as a team leader who only played in emergency situations. Varela had slipped down to 4/5th in the depth chart and now into his 30s i decided to cash in on him. Luta on the left hadn't been as good this year as last and due to an overload of ML i felt like i need to move him on too. Busy summer clearout ahead.

SPL Transfers
SPL Transfers.png

Aberdeen & Dundee Utd undo some of my hard work by selling 5 of the best players in the league and not replacing any of them. Worst of all was Aberdeen selling their captain and MC Bill Connolly to Dundee Utd​

Attachments

• in2.png
    in2.png
    265.7 KB · Views: 28
  • in3.png
    in3.png
    273.4 KB · Views: 30

February

Fixtures
Fix.png

Our up and down from since the winter break goes on. Draws away to Raith & Ross County were split with wins over Airdrie & Hearts. We only lost 1 game and that was to Aberdeen who now seems as dangerous as they should be with a competent manager.

SPL Table
SPL.png

We are still in touch with the Dundee Utd but Hibs are now the main challengers while Aberdeen is closing in fast.

March

Fixtures
FIx.png

As usual for March i play on to the split and it looked so much better in March than it did one we got playing in April. Nothing to momentous happened in March but we did comfortably beat Rangers and Celtic along the way on days that Dundee Utd & Hibs lost. We went into the Dundee Utd game only 3 points behind but we totally outplayed and lost 3-0 which is about where we are to be fair. We got the league's other good squad in Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup semi and despite us scoring it was a far closer game than the score reflected but the major long shot of a treble ended on this day as well as the league dream.

SPL Table
SPL.png

With the gap to the top up to 7 points and the goal difference, our title challenge is over along with the automatic champions league place that 2nd would have given us. There is still the qualifying route to the champions league if we finish 3rd so all is not lost. It's not won yet either with Aberdeen only 5 points back and the leagues form a team.

SPL Split
Championship Group

Match 34

Hibs 1-0 Dundee
Match 34.png

The day the slimmest of title hopes were put to bed. We had to beat Dundee Utd & Hibs and we fell at the first hurdle as we lost at Hibs by only 1-0, could have been more.

Match 35
Hearts 3-4 Dundee
Match 35.png

Turned out to be a massive comeback especially after Aberdeen beat Hibs to keep in touch with us.

Match 36
Dundee 1-0 Aberdeen
Match 36.png

This was the champions league decider and the win puts us 2 points clear of Aberdeen's maximum total. We are also too far away from Hibs to catch them so our season effectively ends here.

Match 37
Rangers 1-5 Dundee
Match 37.png

Why have the u18s and reserves played better than the first team?

Match 38
Dundee 0-4 Dundee Utd
Match 38.png

The title was already won due to the goal difference and they showed no mercy on our u18s.​

Season 21 Review

Managers
managers.png

The quietest window in years. Basically only Aberdeen & Celtic sacked their manager with them being poached from St Mirren & Hearts

Dundee Squad
Squad 1.png
Squad 2.png
Squad 3.png

Christie kept the no1 jersey and had some inspired games that will probably see him stay on for another season. Mabeleng already looks better but can't get a work permit while Saraiva at 18 is far from ready for regular 1st game football.
The right-back spot was shared between Zawislan & Poth with the Spanish national taking a step back as the season got away from us. Ranera was by far our best left-back and with him going back we have plenty of candidates mainly Ferreirinha or Zakirov to start at LB next season. Our CB options are overflowing Zawislan can play there, Banber & Bugge have massive potential but are slightly behind Alberto & Perez in quality.
Nestor Ubiria & Benoit Le Garrec should have been better in MC and their stats suggest it could have been our weak spot this term. Miller is back up at best while Sam Logan does his job in the big games. Will look over Aled Blake who looks like he'll be a financial handcuff going forward. Jokanovic has converted to play MR. Will Garcia prove to be a suitable backup? The left is a bigger issue. Pozzi was my planned starter but is injured more than any human I've ever met. Lee Ferry will definitely start over him this year and I'd like to move on Piquionne or Pozzi with Arason oozing potential and a challenger to Lee Ferry as the starter. Juan Barron started the year as 3rd forward but a combination of Rodolfo fading away in the second half of the season and Nhlapo never getting the results his attributes deserved. Beith & Castro will be the backups next season having proven more than good enough to start in the SPL.

My Player of the Season
Juan Barron
Plater of the year.png

If you told me this at the start of the season i would have laughed at my 3rd choice striker being my main man but he proved to be prolific and if we can keep him then i cant wait to see how he does with a 38 game season.

Final SPL Table
SPL final.png

Dundee Utd held off Hibs late challenge as we also faded away and Dundee after we faded away past Christmas. Aberdeen was the form team in the second half of the season leaving Hibs and the Old firm with lots of work to do. Celtic in 7th just held of Ross County by 1 point. Airdrie made a stunning comeback to survive automatic relegation which is suffered by Raith. They only lost twice in their last 8 beating Raith twice along the way and Celtic on the final day to secure a playoff spot. As recently as March 1st they had half the total points of Raith. Kilmarnock secured instant promotion
Dahan's 17 is the lowest total for a golden boot in the save.

Play-Off
Airdrie 1-1 Dunfermline

Airdrie win on pens
spl playoff.png

Europe
Aberdeen showed their best in Europe reaching the Champions League Q/F after beating Chelsea Arsenal beat them 2-1 home and away.
Dundee Utd went out a round earlier to Man City
Hibs i can't be mad at for finishing bottom of their champions league group behind finalists Atletico Madrid, Man Utd & Monaco
Rangers reach the Europa League last 32 losing to Lyon. Tow strikes against us against French sides.
Hearts again fell short in the conference group
Celtic's abysmal domestic season is only equalled by losing to Slovakians FC Nita in the conference qualifiers

Club Euro Rankings
6th =

Euro coefficant ranks.png

We get rid of the worst season but stay 6th and Italy & France are still clear of us but we are miles ahead of 7th back.​

Dundee Season 22
Pre Season 2042/43

Managers

2 Summers with no changes. What is this relative calm?

Season Targets
SPL - Top 3
Scottish Cup - Q/F
League Cup - Q/F
Europe after Christmas

Another top 3 finish would be a masterstroke with Aberdeen, Hibs and Dundee Utd now all having suitable managers and all finishing the season stronger than ourselves. The summer did not see our squad grow stronger as we didn't loan in the kind of players that made last season so successful.

SPL Pre Season Prices
SPL Preview.png

Were in from 150/1 to 50/1 tied with Rangers. Dundee Utd being odds on is a bit wild but they are a bit better than the Dons and Hibs. Airdrie are huge favourite to go down.

Dundee Transfers
dundee Transfers.png

In
One fourth choice striker is all we have to show for this summer. How inspiring!

Out
Nothing major to report here. None of my top players got a bid which was sad as i could not invest again in other teams top youth players. Still a month to go to see something happen.​

August

Fixtures
fix.png

The league started with an unlucky draw at home to Rangers who we pummeled. Defeat to Dundee Utd was a shock to nobody but we easily beat Hamilton & St Mirren. It was a backup team that lost to Dunfermline so a few fewer games for the u18s after a penalty loss.

SPL Table
SPL.png

Dundee Utd makes a perfect start despite a tough fixture schedule. Kilmarnock makes a stunning start for a promoted team.

Champions League qualifier
CL.png

We were an away goal away from reaching the group stages of the champions league but Europa League group phase is not a total disaster although Champions League football would have changed our club forever.

Europa League Draw
EL draw.png

Not the easiest group but we'll give it our best shot to reach the last 16

Transfer Window

Dundee

Dundee transfers.png

Two in youngster in for the first team. another leaves on loan and we sell our first wonderkid.

In
Foucher & Kuhl join and go straight into the first-team defence
in 1.png
in 2.png

Out
Christian Bamber the capped American wonderkid joins Chelsea for a fee that could end up getting us £13m. Didn't see why he got so much push from the big teams but I'll take the money with better prospects now in house.

SPL Transfers
SPL transfer 1.png
SPL transfer 2.png

Aberdeen makes the biggest move, Dundee Utd spends over £100m while all the top 6 spend multi-millions on several players.​

September

Fixtures
fix.png

What a stinker of a month. Following the international break, we saw off Ross County but it was easier than the scoreline suggested. Then 3 games that could have been 3 wins but in turn, look like 3 poor results. The draw with Killie was the usual European hangover and Celtic were worth their win but we had a late goal ruled out

SPL Table
SPL.png

Celtic have come to life out of nowhere and are the challengers to Dundee Utd. Even more surprising is that Killie is up next despite being one of the favourites to go down. We are in the middle of a large chasing pack

Europa League
Europa.png

It looks like we got pumped but just beat the French side in all the maid attacking stats except goals.

October

Fixtures
FIx.png

Were in the midst of playing 5 or the top 6 in a row. The win over Airdrie was a must considering what was coming up next. Draws with Hearts & Hibs were good results both earned in my opinion. Aberdeen, however, flattened us and the 2-0 defeat was deserved but i will ruefully look back at the 2 goals we had chalked off.

SPL Table
SPL.png

1/4 of the way gone and we're about where i expect us to be on points. Right on the tails of 3rd place Celtic and best of all Rangers out of the top 6.

Europa League
Europa.png

Talk about bouncing back! After an opening day defeat we destroy the other two sides in Group G

November

Fixtures
FIx.png

Two good results & a nasty beatdown from our rival across the road

SPL Table
SPL.png

Celtic fall down to 6th as there is nothing between 2nd to 7th. Dundee Utd are a totally different monster at this stage.

Europa League
EL.png

A win in Serbia secured our route to the last 32. We had a chance to have the spot in the last 16 in our hand but we threw away a two-goal lead to end up with a point but a locked-in 2nd place finish to achieve Europe after Christmas. Our minimum target is met.​

December

Fixtures
Fix.png

Talk about a month where the form was all over the place! 2 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats and they all told their own story. The Ross County game was the only one that went as expected

SPL Table
SPL.png

Nobodys catching Dundee Utd at the top. Hearts pull clear of the chasing pack as Rangers fall the other way. Long way to go yet.

Europa League Final Group
EL group.png

We won our last game so we come only 1 goal away from topping the group and getting a bye to the last 16

Last 32 draw
Dynamo Kyiv vs Dundee
EL Draw.png

Aberdeen also joins us in the knockouts.

January

Fixtures
FIx.png

We're back from the break with 3 wins and almost a 4th against Rangers until a late red card ended our winning run. It wasn't going to last past the Dundee Utd game.

SPL Table
SPL.png

Were in the fight for the top 6. No chance of a title challenge this time and only a sniff of the champions league.

Transfer Window

Dundee

9 Players join to replace the £22m of players heading out

In
Dundee Transfers.png

Antonio Almeida - DR
In Almeida DR.png

Bought for the youth team but is already the best Right back at the club

Samu Villar - ML
In Villar ML.png

I did not need another left-winger but when i get the chance to buy a top prospect from Real Madrid for pennies I'm not saying no.

Ove Melkemichel - MR
iN ove MR.png

A straight swap with the departing Jokanovic. Almost a £10m profit for virtually the same player.

Gabor Zawrzykraj - DC
iN gabor.png

Had either £5m to spread over 3/4 youngsters or drop one bomb and i felt like Gabor is good enough to warrant the record spend tag. We Will double our money on him at least i think.

5 Youngsters join
youth 1.png
youth 2.png
youth 3.png
youth 4.png
youth 5.png

Out
Dundee Transfer out.png

Three players leave for big money as our recruitment policy starts to pay off
Nemanja Jokanovic is off to Italy for £9m. Our best player for so long has been injured far too often in the past year. Moses Nhlapo according to all the stats and every coach was my best striker however was always outplayed by Barron up top. Milan picks him up for £8m but i feel much better with him out the way. Our overfilled left wing saw the end of Darwin Pozzi and finally, Sergey Zakirov never broke through and to let the youngsters get more time i took the hit on him. Tomas Castro is on the verge of leaving for £7.5m not that that will be any use to June with the window now closed.

SPL
SPL transfers.png

Aberdeen & Dundee Utd selling their gold. Shock!​

February

Fixtures
Fix.png

Wins over bottom 6 folded Ross County, St Mirren & Kille were levelled out with a shock defeat at home to Hamilton. There is no way we should have been losing games this month. In the league at the lead. We lost to Dundee Utd in the cup after being 1-0 up at halftime

SPL Table
SPL.png

As expected when the fixtures fell it was a good month for the 3 and top 6 ambition. Celtic have to hire Trent Alexander-Arnold as their new manager while Hibs & Aberdeen have also both fired managers. Hopefully, i can update you on good hires next month. Hibs move is a bit more of a shock ending Ridle Baku's decade in charge at the club

Europa League Last 32
Dundee 3-1 Dynamo Kyiv
el MATC.png

We won two close matches in score alone.

Last 16
Benfica vs Dundee
EL draw.png

A much tougher task awaits here.​

March

Fixtures
FIx.png

I expected to lose to Hearts but beat Airdrie and drawing to both was a letdown of 1 point. We beat Celtic in our biggest game of the month then threw the points right back at Aberdeen in a gutless display

SPL Table
SPL.png

One game till the split and Hibs play us to try and secure a top 6 spot over Rangers. We need the points with a rejuvenated Aberdeen having caught Celtic for 3rd our hopes of finishing there again look all but done.

SPL managers.png

The manager changes were uninspiring. Hibs sacked manager Baku ended up at Aberdeen which is not terrible but not great. Hibs hired James McDonaugh who not only has failed to keep Rangers in the top 6 but he has already been sacked by Hibs in this save. Rangers eventually do even worse. Taking one of my former u18 managers whose career on his own was 8 months at Hearts.

Europa League Last 16
Dundee 7-1 Benfica
EL match.png

I'm stunned to beat Benfica comfortably in both home and away games to secure a spot in the last 8 as the last Scottish team in Europe

Europa League Q/F & S/F Draw
Arsenal vs Dundee
EL QF and SF draw. arsenal bye.png

If we manage to miracle our way past Arsenal then we'll face the Champions League winners of 24 months ago.

April & May

Fix
FIx.png

After seeing how this panned out it quickly became a two-month review. It all started well with a big win over Hibs and were leading Hearts till the 92nd minute when they equalised and the defeat to Aberdeen next time out officially ended our season and we were locked into 5th place and I played u19s for the last 3 thrashings in protest

At least our kids broke some records.
youngest player.png
youngestscorere.png

Europa League Quarter Final
Arsenal 8-4 Aberdeen
Europa League.png

We got beaten down in London leaving us having to go for it in the 2nd leg and were again exposed by the team that went to the final to play our group rivals Lille​

Season 22 Review

Managers
We went through this in March so no need to talk about Ross County hiring career fired man Russell Dingwall

New Stadium
stadium.png

New stadium coming our way too, I didn't even ask. Better be a good capacity

Dundee Squad
Squad 1.png
Squad 2.png
Squad 3.png

Alan Christie may be finished as our No1. At 30 his price took a hit and I plan to play either Fernandez or the South African keeper if he finally gets a work permit. Otherwise, he's going too but after playing in the African Nations he has to get a permit.
My centerbacks are great. How i keep Bugge with his £19m buy out clause is maybe a pipe dream. Gabor's buy out is only £15m but he's not had any interest yet. Perez & Foucher will be more than suitable backups with Foucher more a long term option who i think will get in the 1st team quicker if one of my starting CBs is taken away from me. Zawislan played lots of games but will be up for sale with Almeida & Kuhl fighting over the start. Ferreirinha did the job but somehow his value has not moved and i have 3 youngsters coming back from loans or the u19s rendering him unwanted at 22 and not coming close to a 7.
Ubiria & Le Garrec spent another season together and I'll be entertaining offers for both with neither showing signs of being good enough for us to reach the top of this league. Logan & Miller to don't show enough to be more than their current spot at backup or DM in the 3 man midfield.
Wingers I'll get to Ferry later so on the right-wing Melkemichel joined and was not as advertised but won't get a chance to be that bad again next season with Garcia back from injury & Daivez back from loan looking ready to contribute. Behind Ferry, i can't choose between Arason & Villar as the backup but will carry both next seasons with all 3 being good enough in their backup positions to fill holes.
Upfront Barron really cooled off in the 2nd half of the season and Beith did not take over games as i hoped he would by now. As usual, ATT is my deepest spot so plenty could happen here once i buy 3 strikers as usual.

My Player of the Season
Lee Ferry
Player of the year.png

He didn't start the year as our starting ML but by the end of the season, he was the clear cut no1. Still improving as an ML as he was by nature an AML. All that said for the right money he may get moved on this year.

Final SPL Table
SPL final.png

Dundee Utd walked to the title. One of the most dominant seasons I've not been in charge of. However, they don't get to play in Europe after they failed Financial fair play. A disaster for our coefficient. Great for Hearts, Celtic & Aberdeen who all reach the Champions League. We also benefit from moving up to the Europa League while Hibs stay in the Europa 2 with St Mirren who jumped Rangers for 7th. AHHHAHA Sadder day for Airdrie who deservedly go down.

Play-Off
Ross County 3-2 Raith
SPL playoff.png

County just survive over Raith who was not content with losing the championship by 12 goals now missed out on the promotion by a goal.

Europe
Rangers on the back of one of their worst ever domestic seasons almost ended the year with a conference league win but were beat soundly by Bilbao in the final.
EL fina;.png

Dundee Utd somehow after destroying Scottish football they couldn't beat out Leganes and finished bottom of their champions league group
Hibs also had a embarrassing champions league run finishing bottom with no wins, although they were in the group of death.
Dundee has marched into the Quarter Finals of the Europa League. I can't imagine us being better than Arsenal next year.
Like ourselves, Aberdeen were conquered by Arsenal a round earlier
Hearts reached the Conference Q/F so not a bad run losing to Bilbao

Club Euro Rankings
6th = 69,500
coeffic.png

No real change win a 1,500 point rise thanks to Rangers run to the final. Scotland is miles clear in 6th place but lacks the firepower to pass France for 5th and fall further and further off Italy for the magic 4th spot.​

Dundee Season 23
Pre Season 2043/44

Season Targets
SPL - Top 3
Scottish Cup - Q/F
League Cup - Q/F
Europe after Christmas

Were a team in transition so no changes from last seasons ambition. I think we're top 6 quality but clearly were aiming higher.

SPL Pre Season Prices
preview.png

Dundee Utd would have been huge favourites but with no European football, anything less than a treble will be a letdown. Aberdeen is best of the rest in squad depth then Celtic, Hearts & Hibs just ahead of us and Rangers.

Dundee Transfers

In
in 1.png
In 2.png

A story of free transfers with the only money spent on u18s. All players will be in the squad with a chance to be starters.

Joao Morais - DL
In joao morais DL.png

Serge Clement - MC
In Serge Clement MC.png

Quincy Veenstra - AT
IN Quincy att.png

Four Youths join.
Youth 1.png
Youth 2.png
Youth 3.png
Youth 4.png

Quaresma will hopefully join Testi on loan

Out
Out 1.png
Out 2.png

Juan Barron
was a difference-making player who joined in the same week i did but with youths coming through it was time to cash in on him once he got his first Mexico cap. Wimer Cardenas & Geoff Penso were 4* potential players up to go out on loan and i was stunned to see the oil-rich teams make huge offers for players i only planned to loan to sell. A free £15m. Keeper Mabeleng was still not getting a work permit after 18 months of waiting to play my no1 i just sold him. Tomas Castro sale was agreed months ago and Nestor Ubiria had maxed out his potential so was put up for sale. Bartosz Zawislan & Alberto failed to reach the highs of being first-team stars and this was the point we pulled the wire on their time at the club. Bartisz especially should have been sold for more. Antonio Garcia got a horrific injury last season so cashing in on a squad player.​