Reaction score
PEPE MEL SACKED; WEST BROM APPOINT ROSS AS INTERIM COACH

west-brom-albion-the-hawthorns_1057992.jpg

West Bromwich Albion today announced that Spanish manager Pepe Mel has been sacked after about two months in charge of West Brom. Disagreements with the board and a failure to halt the club's slump in the English Premier League are said to have been at the head of the problems. "We thank Pepe Mel for all that he has done to the club in his short period in charge and we would like to wish him all the best for the future."

The club then moved swiftly to appoint Kevin Ross, the club's under-21 academy team coach as the interim manager till the end of the season. Ross was said to have been delighted at the chance to manage the club. West Bromwich Albion's dismal run in the league has seen them languish in 20th place this season with just 15 points from 27 games- 9 below Aston Villa who are in 17th position, the last safe spot in the league.

"Will Do My Best" Says Ross

Manager Kevin Ross today faced his first press conference after being appointed as the interim manager of West Bromwich Albion football club. He seemed calm and expressed his determination to do his best to save the Baggies from relegation. Ross also said that all his past coaching experience will come in handy when he takes charge of the first team.

Kevin Ross began his coaching career at Northampton Town, as a first team coach. He then moved on to join Sheffield United for two years as their Under-19 team coach. Following a successful spell there, he then moved to Bolton Wanderers to coach their reserve team and be in charge of their youth academy. After spending six years at the Reebok Stadium, he then joined the coaching setup at the Hawthorns under Roy Hodgson, taking charge of their Under-21 and youth academy sides-a post he held till today.

He also mentioned that he has already begun match preparation for the Baggies' next match, a home fixture to Newcastle United, who lie in 13th place in the table.

West Brom vs Newcastle United

WEST BROM SIGN TWO LEFT BACKS

Manager Kevin Ross signed the first two players of his managerial career as Lucas Mareque and Christian Eichner signed for the Baggies in two successive days. With just a day to go for the match against Newcastle, the question is, will either of them start?

wba-v-newcastle-united-mb.png

MATCH PREVIEW

New manager Kevin Ross faces the daunting task of picking up the pieces as West Bromwich Albion play host to Newcastle United at the Hawthorns. This match is the first of many crucial matches for the Baggies as they look to pick up as many points as they can for survival.
Newcastle United

Newcastle United come on the back of a solid 1-0 win over Arsenal in their midweek fixture. Midfielders Hatem Ben Arfa and Sylvain Marveaux looked in ominous form last match and Alan Pardew will be looking for them to continue some of that form this weekend. Pardew lined up with a 4-2-3-1 last weeked and it wouldn't be surprising if he lined up the same way this time too. Luuk De Jong started last week up front but seems to have fitness issues this weekend meaning Shola Ameobi may get a start.

West Bromwich Albion

West Brom will have a new manager in charge for this match. Ross is known to favour a 4-2-3-1 system too, which will suit their wingers, especially Scott Sinclair-who has perhaps been the only standout player in their team this season. However, he is not rigid in philosophy and has even been known to use formations like the 4-1-2-1-2 and the 5-4-1 to suit his needs. It will be interesting to see how they line up.

Pre-Match Comments

Alan Pardew (Newcastle United)

I feel that this is a game we should win with ease. West Brom are struggling and plus they have an aging team. Which means that we would probably be able to run circles around them as the game wears on.

Kevin Ross (West Brom)

We just need to play to our strengths. We have been struggling in the league and the squad is itching to turn the season around. Obviously as Alan pointed out, we have an aging team. But then again, that means despite our lack of youth, we have a certain character and resilience that Newcastle don't. Those are things that only experience brings with it. And as for them running circles, let them run as much as they want. I don't mind them running in circles for the whole game as long as they run outside our goal area.

Line-Ups

West Bromwich Albion

986964_West_Bromwich_Albion.jpg

Newcastle United

986967_Newcastle_United.jpg

Analysis by ESPN-Star Sports

espn_star_sport_175x115_390x256-1400041.jpg

Analyst One: It's quite surprising that Newcastle have decided to put out two strikers. I presume Luuk De Jong will hold up the ball and they will make use of the pace that Ben Arfa, Marveaux and Cisse bring with them. For West Brom, I'm surprised Ross has given the nod to Berahino ahead of Anelka-who is on the bench. The youngster's got the talent but he really needs to develop a bit more. He's not Premier League quality and needs to have some loan spell in the Championship before he gets here. On paper, the Magpies look stronger so I'm saying 1-0 to Newcastle.

Analyst Two: I feel that West Brom have made their midfield a slight mess. They could do with some creativity and I have no clue why Ross decided to leave James Morrison on the bench and play with Sessegnon instead. Anita and Tiote are strong and will be tough to play against. So, it will be a difficult match for West Brom. My prediction is 2-0 to Newcastle. Trust Cisse to get on the scoresheet.

NEXT UPDATE

WILL THE BAGGIES PUNCH WELL ABOVE THEIR WEIGHT? FIND OUT AS WEST BROMWICH ALBION TAKE ON NEWCASTLE UNITED AT THE HAWTHORNS

Last edited:
Please comment if you have read it and tell me how it is and if there's any improvements needed.

West Brom vs Newcastle United

INJURIES MARR BAGGIES WIN

2Q==

England Under-21 international Saido Berahino scored the only goal of the game as West Bromwich Albion manage to come out as 1-0 victors against Newcastle United in Kevin Ross' first game as a manager for the Baggies.

The match, which saw West Brom play on the attack from the onset, was decided by a splendid counterattack from West Brom in the 65th minute. A long pass from Diego Lugano found an unmarked Morgan Amalfitano who then played it to James Morrison-a second half substitute for the injured Stephane Sessegnon- who played a neat first time pass to Berahino. The youngster then held off Fabricio Coloccini to shoot low into the bottom corner past Tim Krul's reach.

The match, which began very cautiously from both sides, soon burst into life as Sylvain Marveaux forced a quick save off Ben Foster. On the other end, Tim Krul was called into action soon after to take care of Scott Sinclair's bullet. Flowing moves then began to come in waves on both ends but rarely did any of them produce clearcut chances.

The game was marred in the 14th minute when Marveaux had to be taken off following a strong challenge from Claudio Yacob. He was then replaced by Yoann Gouffran. Papiss Cisse then blew two glorious chances to pull the Magpies ahead when he failed to finish one-on-one situations after superb passes from Cheick Tiote and Hatem Ben Arfa in the 25th and the 30th minutes. At the other end, Saido Berahino came close when his first time volley forced a finger tip save from Krul.

The second half began similar to the first although West Brom were by now operating a much deeper line, alerted by Cisse's pace on the break.
Stephane Sessegnon was also meanwhile stretchered off in the 55th minute when a rough tackle from Cheick Tiote forced him off the field, bringing Scotsman James Morrison on the field. And finally, after some vague long distance shots from both sides, Berahino broke the deadlock with Morrison getting the assist. Newcastle tried hard to equalise in the second half. Fabricio Coloccini narrowly nodded Moussa Sissoko's freekick wide while Luuk De Jong missed Ben Arfa's superb cross by less than an inch. But despite all their efforts, Newcastle were forced to go home empty handed as some splendid defending in the last ten minutes kept Newcastle at bay.

FINAL SCORE

West Bromwich Albion 1 - 0 Newcastle United
(Saido Berahino 65')

Post Match Comments

Kevin Ross: It was a great win. We played really well. And held our nerve for the last ten minutes when we had to play five at the back. Amalfitano did excellently those few minutes at left wingback. And that goal from Saido was absolute class. I've known that lad for sometime now and that's what he is capable of. Of course, losing Sessegnon was a slight blow but I'm sure we'll get by. We have a big game midweek against City. We'll focus on that now.

Alan Pardew They came with the intent of winning here, West Brom. And they did. Credit to them. Although some of their tactics were questionable, especially in the last ten minutes or so. But one can't complain now can we. The game's over. I just want to move on.

NEXT FIXTURE

MANCHESTER CITY VS WEST BROMWICH ALBION
Etihad Stadium, Manchester
FA Cup Quarterfinals