Colbyx

Reaction score
Schalke 04
'Null Fear'
Fußballclub Gelsenkirchen-Schalke 04 e. V.
Founded 4th May 1904

1635495181872.png

If you know anything about German football then you will have heard about Schalke 04. Known for their incredible track record of producing quality youth prospects. The talent factory has seen the likes of Manuel Neuer, Mesut Ozil, Leory Sane, Julian Draxler and Benedikt Höwedes graduate, proving the Schalke Youth Academy proving it to be one of the best in Germany, if not the world.

In 2017/18 season Schalke finished runners-up to Bayern Munich meaning that in just 3 full competitive seasons they finished rock bottom and were relegated to the second division.

Recent times however haven't been so kind.

Much like Barcelona the club is run 'democratically' by a fan association with presidential elections. And in the same vein Schalke was mismanaged financially. Unlike the former which has the global appeal to attract superstars Schalke finds itself in difficult place post-Covid. The sales of Leroy Sane, Julian Draxler, Thilo Kherer and Manuel Neuer brought in £150m between 2011 and 2019. The replacements brought were Breel Embolo, Nabil Bentaleb and Sebatien Rudy failed to meet the high expectations or fees that came with.

With a constant turn over of managers and lack of interest in club turnover. The Schalke slump finds them the lowest they've been since the 1990/91 season.

1635496759034.png

It all looks dandy right? Until I point out. Schalke have failed to win a title since 1958. Finishing runner-up in no less than eight seasons.

The task is simple.

Take the crown.

Dethrone Bayern Munich from the Bundesliga Epoch.
Win the first Champions League for Schalke 04 in their history.

1635496094015.png

Fixing the financial damage? How bad is it?
1635496133936.png

If you were a Premier League club. It might not seem too bad. However being a Second Division German side. Things aren't too great with the board paying just over half a million for the next 23 years.

The media predict us to finish second only behind Werder Bremen. In the Bundesliga 2. The top two teams are promoted automatically and the 3rd placed team goes into relegation play-offs with the lowest teams in the Bundesliga.
1635496216659.png

The squad looks to have some real talent with several potential 5* players in there.
1635496354694.png

However my immediate concerns are that Salif Sané who is our best centre back is out for 3-4 months with torn knee ligaments. As the highest earner at the club by almost £10,000 per week isn't ideal given he appears to be injury prone so moving him on seems to be of interest.

Another financial issue is Ralf Fahrmann who is our best goalkeeper who is closely followed behind on £49,500 a week. He starts transfer listed.

As good as these two players are. We can't afford them moving forward. Already spending over on our wage budget which is contributing to greater debt.

Thankfully it seems the youth development factory seems to be showing no sign of slowing down and getting these players game time is essential moving forward from a financial and a performance perspective.
1635497091714.png

'Playing with No Fear'
I really want to tactically impose ourselves onto our opponents and give our flair and attacking players the best opportunity. Playing with freedom is very important and therefore I'm looking to constantly play with a good balance to recycle the ball as quickly as possible to greater enhance our chance creation.
1635497179933.png

Ideally I'd like to play with a different style forward however Simon Terodde is very much an old-style Target Forward and doesn't have the physicals to press. Additionally our centre backs don't have the ability to play it out from the back just yet.

Schalke 04 - No Fear
Season 1 - 2020/21

1635760117675.png

Pre-Season
1635757130216.png

A less than impressive start to the season saw us play essentially one competitive friendly vs. a Bundesliga side. We took a 1-1 draw away from home and then battered our Second XI 3-0.
Given that the season starts so promptly I include Hamburg as part of the pre-season given that I was in no shape to really start the season. Thankfully we stole a 1-0 win at home.

Player of the Month: Michael Langer (GK)
Michael was thrown into the first team for the first game of the season given that Fahrmann was sold to help reduce the wage expenditure. Even reduced to 10 men following a straight red card he kept a clean sheet and helped us get all 3 points.

August
1635757149290.png

Things didn't get off to how I had hoped. With a 0-3 demolition away from home. However, following that dismantling. We went on a four win streak outscoring out opponents significantly.

Player of the Month: Simon Terodde (ST)
With seven goals in four games from the veteran Target man. He was the clear Play of the Month for September.

September
1635757178820.png

By September it was apparent that the scheduling in the Budesliga is nothing like the Premier League and the time between games was so significant. The larger squad at my disposal was quickly becoming a concern with so many players demanding play time and so few games to play them. September was a reflection of how things had gone so far. It was a mixed bag.

Unsurprisingly, he scored all 4 goals in our win over Hansa Rostock as well as the equaliser vs. Paderborn. Taking his tally up to 12 of the season in the League.

October
1635757200894.png

October started well for us continuing our form of not losing in 4 games and largely scoring a lot of goals especially against some of the more established sides in the league. Disappointingly we went out in the cup - however my focus was primarily on the league. With that said, getting defeated twice away from home by Heidenheim was not ideal.

Player of the Month: Darko Churlinov (AMR)
An impressive month from the Stuttgart loanee who scored 3 times and assisted 3 more over the month.

November
1635757224023.png

November saw our tidings improve with three big wins for us helping us climb towards the top of the table. A good response to being knocked out of the cup so early.

Who more can I say at this point? A hattrick and a winning goal is demonstrating the over-reliance on our main man in providing goals.

December

1635757254462.png

It seems we are unable to pull off anything longer than a four win streak and our form quickly collapses leading to our biggest defeat of the season away at Hamburg.

Player of the Month: Simon Terodde
Another three goals. Despite the results, he keeps scoring for fun.

Is Terodde a problem?
Our overreliance on our key man is proving costly. When he scores he usually take points. When he doesn't we either have to grind out a result or we end up falling victim to teams who have goal scorers in them. At the age of 33 he isn't getting any younger but it's plain to me we don't have enough goals in the side and I will be looking to bring in a different option in the transfer window to not only offer competition but support Simon is firing us into the Bundesliga.
1635759750245.png

Keeper Issues?
Unfortunately for Michael Langer, he inherited the job of first team keeper after the departure of Fahrmann. Similarly to Simon Terodde. He isn't improving any time soon. He did an alright job for us from August - December keeping five clean sheets and only conceding 18 in 20 games. But it's plain to see he isn't good enough for a top division team and keeping him between the posts won't see us comfortably win the league. I need to dip into the market to bring in a quality keeper.
1635759923567.png

Transfer Window Opens
With the departure of Fahrmann who was on close to £40k per week. I didn't have the funds to dip into the market immediately to replace him. I used the four months to scour the 'lesser' reputation leagues hoping to pick up a diamond in the rough.

Welcome Álvaro Montero who joins us for a measly £250k from Deportes Tolima in Colombia. At 6'5 and only 26 years old. I'm hoping at the bare minimum he will be able to do a job for us not only this season, but potentially next season provided we make it the first time of asking.

1635758909091.png
Kaio Jorge joins us on loan for the remainder of the season from Juventus. Given the overreliance on Simon Terodde for goals, I really wanted to bring in someone who could share and hopefully fire us into the Bundesliga. It's difficult to justify his £30k p/w wages. So I'm hoping he can justify it with promotion.
1635759083110.png

January
1635757267334.png

January sees us hold two clean sheets which it feels like I haven't been able to do all season. This makes me a very happy man with 14 games left of the season.

Player of the Month: Reinhold Ranftl (RB)
Probably our second best performer over the season. The right back was instrumental both going forward and defensively.

The Run-In
1635759423840.png

An even split of home and away games with a constant back and forth is going to make it difficult to maintain consistency and form.

The Bundesliga 2. as of February 1st 2022.
1635759521927.png

The recent 4-2 win over us really puts Hamburg a little out of stretch who have only drawn 1 game all season. We still play all of the teams around us with the exception of Hamburg and Kiel so we have the ability to secure an automatically promotion spot.​

Schalke 04 - No Fear
Season 1 - 2020/21

The loaning of Kaio Jorge really made the difference moving forward with the wonderkid scoring 7 times and assisting 5 in 15 appearances both from left wing and up top for us. We took five wins from our remaining ten games, losing just two in the process.

1636110129631.png

Schalke 04 are promoted to the Bundesliga

1636109756963.png

On the first time of asking and with quite a dominant showing especially in the second half of the season. We achieve our first major task of returning to the top flight.

Goalkeeper of the Season: Álvaro Montero
Providing six clean sheets and conceding only 16 in 16 league appearances. It's no surprising our January Signing is our best keeper this season. He seems primed and ready to make a splash in the Bundesliga.

Defender of the Season: Malick Thiaw
The 20 year old defender was near-ever present with a multitude of centre-back partners. He was consistent and chipped in with a goal.

Midfielder of the Season: Danny Latza
The midfielder veteran provided 4 goals and 4 assists over the campaign from a deeper position making him so valuable to our promotion charge.

Forward of the Season: Simon Terrode
What more can I say about this man? I only hope he can keep it up in the top division.

Youth Academy Graduates
There's plenty of potential three stars or above coming through our academy. With no real emphasis on position which is reassuring given our financial situation. While none of them are immediately reading to play first team football - within a few years they could achieve first team status.
1636110391000.png

2022/23 Season Preview

Unsurprisingly Bayern won the title last year and are odds-on favourites to repeat. A rather re-energized Hertha Berlin side seem to be media favourites ahead of Dortmund who lost Haaland to Man City for £136m. Ourselves sit lower mid-table with the media believing we should comfortably avoid relegation.
1636110513652.png

Transfers
Gianluca Frabotta joins us permanantly on a four year deal from Juventus. We were really lacking first teamers at the left back position and he looks to slide right into that spot for a fee of £1.3m
1636110662215.png

Nils Petersen joins us on a free transfer to provide our target man with some healthy competition. Although ageing he scored 12 in the Bundesliga the season prior with Freiburg.
1636110738060.png

Seri joins us on a free from Fulham on a two year deal. A very capable playmaking midfielder who still has a few years left in him.
1636110905134.png

For a measly £60k we picked up Adam Hložek who seems a fine capture capable of playing first team football.
1636110826324.png

Transfers Out
Dries Wouters - Hannover - £2.6m
Evan Rotundo - £1.2m
Hamza Mendyl £725k
Marcin Kaminski - £250k
Keke Topp - £68k (£190k)
Rabbi Matondo £39k
Salif Sané - Free
Mahmet-Can Aydin - Free

Dries Wouters was upset about how little first team footballer he was getting. I was happy to take the straight 2.6m
Evan Rotundo's head was turned by a club performing better than us so reluctantly I had to let him leave.
Hamza Mendyl was on the last year of his contract with no intention of renewing.
Salif Sané was earning far too much than his ability justified and no club wanted to come in for him.
The others were mostly Bundesliga 2. quality or lower.​