Scintillating at home but Poor away.

Hatau24

Reaction score
Hello forum dwellers.

I am currently 25 league games into my first season as Arsenal manager and I am using a home-made tactic rather akin to Arsenal's in reality. My problem arises in that my Arsenal team is awesome at home, averaging more than three goals a game with results such as 8-0 to Cardiff, 6-2 to West Brom and 4-0 to Manchester United. I use the same tactic away (except for big games; Chelsea, Man City etc.) and in my 13 games away from home, I have scored 15 goals (including a catastrophic 5-1 loss to Swansea.). I am stumped as to what is happening when I'm not at the Emirates.

Typically I use a 4-2-3-1 formation with Szczesny as gk, Sagna/Corchia/Gibbs/Monreal as Cwbs on the flanks, Mertesaceker/Zouma as cover at cb and Koscielny/Vermaelen as stopper. In the middle of the park, I use Matuidi/Flamini as a bbm or Arteta as a dlp and Ramsey/Wilshere as the AP. On the flanks I have Walcott/Ox/Gnabry/Podolski/Cazorla/Salah as wingers, in the middle I use Ozil/Cazorla/Wilshere as trequartista and up top I have Jackson Martinez/Giroud as TM. While Martinez has been a disappointment so far, Giroud has top scored, Podolski and Walcott (when fit) are among the goals and Cazorla weighs in with his fair share of assists.

My team instructions are: Retain Possession, Shorter Passing, Pass into Space, Play Out of Defence, Work Ball into Box, Drill Crosses, Look for Overlap, Much Higher Defensive Line, Hassle Opponents, Get Stuck In, Much Higher Tempo and Be More Expressive.

My home record is 12-1-0, 45 scored and 8 conceded. I average around 60% possession at home and generally dominate games at home whoever I play. However; away, my record reads 5-5-2 with 15 scored and 12 conceded averaging high 40s and low 50s in possession. I have no idea how my team which can blow Liverpool away 3-0 at home can struggle to a 0-0 draw against the same opposition using the same tactics. What is going wrong?

Alternatively, what can I do differently?

Thanks in Advance.

I would add screenshots, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

high defensive line means you'll get done by balls played in behind your defence
Be more expressive ususally means you're great attacking but ***** defensively

But if tactics are the issue, then how come I don't struggle at home?

Seriously, its a huge problem, I can't seem to perform away.

Last edited:
Great ******* help this forum's been. A week and nothing.

You need to give people more information, SS's of your squad, tactics, shouts etc.

I think teams get a boost when playing at home - goes for your team and the opposition. Home games to me seem almost too easy, and if they're easy for you then they're easy for the opposition as well.

Your setup to me seems to leave a lot of space behind the defense. CWB's tend to get very high up the pitch, leaving huge amounts of space behind and the CB on stopper duty closes down very aggressively. If he misses his interception you'll be left with one single CB to deal with the situation. In home matches you can get away with it, since you get the home boost and your setup probably allows you to score a lot. But even in home games your tactic looks too high-risk for my liking.

In away games you definitely need to play with a deeper d-line, maybe also consider changing your formation to a 4-3-3 (or a 4-1-2-2-1 or whatever you want to call it) or a 4-2-3-1 with 2 dm's. Have you tried using your away against big teams -tactic in other away games?

Well the main problem is that your opponents play differently at home compared to away. Usually teams tend to be a bit more defensive when they aren't playing at home and a bit more attacking when playing on their own ground. This is the reason why you are getting different results. You need to adept your tactics to handle both situations if you want to be successful home and away.

You need a dedicated Away Tactic. What works at home does NOT work well away. Here are some screens of an away tactic I created that packs in the box defensively, yet has offensive outlets to score. 4-4-2 Evolved Away

NewcastlevLiverpool_InfoFormations.png

The key with Away tactics is not to concede goals. If you take the game to a 1-0 win or even a 1-1 tie, that's a decent result for an away game, particularly if you face a strong opponent such as Manchester City, Chelsea, Man United, etc.

Here is the result of an away game against Newcastle using the above tactic:

NewcastlevLiverpool_StatsMatchStats.png

Notice that although we don't dominate possession, we create far more clear cut chances and we allowed only 1 shot on target by the opposition. DEFENSE is the best policy for away games. Defend well, and score just enough to win.

I'm going to leave the shouts for you to figure out so you can tweak the tactic to your liking. Let me know how it works out for you. And please credit me if you make a variation of your own.

I would suggest adding play narrower, and removing overlaps and retain possession...see how that works