Scoring unbelievably many goals... and conceding too many too.

Jashooa

Reaction score
Hi! (am norwegian, so my English might be rusty)

This is both a thread where I need help for my defending, but also a thread for sharing what in my opinion is insane attacking.

Right now, I'm playing with Arsenal in my first season. After 29 matches in the league, i've already managed to score 96 goals and have conceded 46, which is, quite a lot, to score and concede, in my opinion. I'm leading the league comfortably with 9 points to Chelsea and one match less played, so it's not a major problem. (or maybe not a problem at all.) Sanchez is also having a blast, scoring 28 goals and having 22 assists in 35 matches.

But why am I scoring so many goals? Is it normal?

It might be the tactics, it might be bugs. Who knows?

I play attacking/counter and fluid with a 4-2-3-1 formation in every match. I stick to some instructions such as retain possesion, shorter passing, work ball into box and play out of defence and dependin on my opponent, I'm changing between the tempo and the defensive line.

As for the players, I use two CM - one as a ballwinner support/defending (Khedira or Lucas Romero) and a deep-lying support/defending (Ramsey or Wilshere).

These are the things that I am changing throughout a match and between matches, depending on how the match is going and who I'm facing. The rest is constant.

That's basically it. Any tips on how I can concede less? And are anyone else experiencing the same thing?

View attachment 317609View attachment 317608View attachment 317607View attachment 317606View attachment 317605

If you are conceding too many goals...have you tried playing with a DM? Maybe playing with Khedira or Romero as an anchorman?

After I changed mentality to control in every (almost) game, I had 4 clean sheets in 7 games. That helped.

I won't use a dm as long as I am scoring more than my opponents

The same has been happening to me with my Tottenham team and even though I was winning the league I got pretty obsessed about the amount of goals I was conceding (Won the league by over 10 points but conceded more than any other team in the top half). I switched to a 4-3-3 with a Dm from a 4-2-3-1 formation and now i'm scoring slightly less but conceding very few, so it's down to tactics.
Last season, lots of goals conceded: View attachment 315513
This season, conceding much less goals per game: View attachment 315512

Agreed with above post. Dm helps you save a lot of goals. Very helpful. However if you are winning your league easily, why worry about how much you are conceding? Also increasing the quality of your defenders - DC, FBs etc. will lower the amount of goals you give up. If your DCs are slow and getting caught out without cover from a DM, you will concede goals.