When looking at a players report, could be seen in the screenshots, he would be 3 star for example which would be shown as usual, then in the bakground black stars would extend to 4 for example, most players have them

its a maybe, depending on better scouting, i think .

its a maybe, depending on better scouting, i think .

That's exactly it, the normal gold stars are what the scout thinks currently and the black stars are what the player could still be, with further scouting the black stars disappear and either become gold or grey depending on what the scout finds out later.

This question was asked on the SI forums (and answered by a dev), I'll copy/paste the question/reply in here to clear any potential misinterpretations:

Q:"So does this mean the mix of gold & black stars suggest that the end of the gold will be minimum potential and the rest that is filled in, in black could be his possible maximum depending on personal development etc.... (obviously this could possibly change from one scout to the next)"

A:"That's correct, the yellow stars represent the confident opinion of your scout/coacg while the black stars are his level of uncertainty."

So if Gold is what they could potentially be whats grey what they are going to end up being?