Thunderstruck

Reaction score
This is a new one for me.

Playing online with a mate I am baskingstoke town. I just came to League two from back to back promotions in my third season (spent two in BSS) while my mate who is boston united was in his second season in league two (our 4th season or so)

I managed to make 2nd in a tight run while he finished first by around 20 points (We don't use that clumsy near post corner thing to score goals btw -.-) but I had been losing alot of money since the start and was now worried if I will go straight back down with 600k debt. When I looked at the stats I saw I had the lowest league wages I was on 400k per year, 24th in the league. The next lowest was 750k per week. My Mates team was 7th with 1.5million and first place had around 2 million.

Then I though 'wait, if my wages are that low how the **** am I 600k in debt'. Check my Income, 3 Million per season. Quite good I might add. Check my Expenses 3.8 Million.

That can't be right?, Check down the list. 1.8 Million spent on scouting. I was livid..
My Mate checked his, at 300k. And he scouts about the same as I do.

League one, I spent the pre season getting back into financial shape..

By that I mean I played 17 friendlies against the biggest teams I could find in hope I will make a profit. I played pretty much 12 friendlies in 12 days and killed alot of conditioning of my squad, picked up a few injuries (non long term thankfully) Then shove two little teams in to play against to give the team morale then give them a week off training in the lead up to the first league game and hope conditioning is fine. It worked, Friendlies against teams such as Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle, Rangers, Celtic, Wolves, Leeds, Sunderland, Cardiff and others gave me 200k in the black when the season opened which I went on to win 3-1 away to scunthorpe.

My question is, What is the basis of scouting costs and how can you keep them low?.
(I sacked all my scouts without compo just to make sure I turn a big profit this season as I fight to stay alive with a league two mid table squad at best) My wage budget is horrible.