kmitchell96

Reaction score
I've tried a few careers now and struggled in a lot of them. I have still been searching for that one game which I really get hooked on. The furthest I have got is 6 seasons in, the problem was I managed 6 different teams. The one career I had which I did get hooked on was the Leicester save where I got sacked during the playoffs, in my opinion it was still unfair.

So I thought rather than trying to achieve goals with the team I started with, lets just go with the flow and do whatever the game dictates. I will search for success no matter what and I will do whatever I can to find this success.

The aim is to become a Journeyman manager, go wherever I need to in order to achieve the best I can. I will start from the bottom and move when I feel is the right time. I may not always do well and eventually I could end up being a stable manager for one club if I reach those success levels somewhere. The main idea though is that if something isn't working and the board make me aware of that then I will know when it is time to move on.

The next post will mark the first section of my career.

Jumping in the deep end
View attachment 250061
I am just 20 years old and I have no experience in management. After leaving school I decided to do some coaching courses for the fun of it alongside university. I had nothing but some semi-professional which I gained as at university where I picked up the injury which stopped me from playing.

I had always been interested in sport, especially football and always considered going into management so I am happy to be given the chance to do so.

Clyde FC
It was a long drawn out process signing for them which saw me miss part of pre-season, not exactly great. I'd been given a 1 year contract which would start off my career. The club were willing to give me a chance despite my lack of any experience.

The club were expected to win the league and nothing else so it wasn't going to be easy. The squad wasn't even particularly great either so it would take a lot of building to achieve the lofty goals and expectations.

Pre-season
As I said I missed the first couple of games of pre-season which didn't fill me with much confidence as they were 3-0 and 5-0 losses. They were to higher tier teams but still 8 goals conceded in two games isn't great.

So after seeing that I went through the rest of pre-season and tried to make things better and give myself a better outlook for the season.

I arranged a friendly against my reserves which for the first hour seemed to prove the squad wasn't ready for a title push as I was 2-0 down after the hour mark. After the hour mark though I dominated with a change of tactics which saw me turn the game around to 3-2 for the win.

My second game was against Portadown, not heard of them before so I checked up to find they were a N.Irish team. I went 1-0 down after 54 minutes to equalise a minute later before taking the lead 10 minutes later. They managed to equalise again for the game to finish at 2-2.

The final pre-season was against 3rd tier Dunfermline. I managed a 2-1 win to close pre-season meaning a 3 game unbeaten start to my managerial career. There was a late scare but I managed to continue my good start.

Transfers
There had to be some shuffle round in the squad which lacked depth. With more strikers than defenders and midfielders it was obvious I would need to bring players in.

I released 7 players, non of which would be useful to me in my goal for success. I replaced these 7 with some free agents who were all better and primed for first team football including a couple of strikers who could instantly become starters ahead of a week strike force.

I also brought in a couple of loanees. Rose from Aberdeen, thanks to the affiliation which the board allowed me to set up. Also Jammie Burrow from Rangers who would add to a now strong strike force.

Competitions
League
It was disappointing in the league. My first 2 games saw me gain 4 points which was enough to see me top at this point. This was then followed up by 2 defeats to the bottom two in the league and I was now mid-table.

Two wins on the bounce saw me return to the top 3 just a point from the top spot and it looked hopeful. However soon enough I saw a drop down back to mid table with just 1 point from the next possible 9, a poor return for clear favourites.

Cup Competitions
The league challenge cup went well. I managed to beat 3rd tier Airdrie in the first round 3-0 in my first competitive game. A tough fought win against amateur side Spartans saw me into the third round where I lost out to Championship side Livingston in harsh circumstances.

It started poorly and I saw myself 2-0 down. A change of tactics saw me turn it around and with minutes left I was leading 3-2 only for them to score the equaliser in the final minutes, we shot ourselves in the foot with some poor defending. In extra time fitness caught up and I just couldn't manage to force the victory and we ended up losing 4-3.

The other two cups were poor. Knocked out in the first round of the league cup by Raith Rovers in a poor 3-1 showing in my second competitive game in management. In the Scottish cup I couldn't manage to get past the second round in which amateur side Brora knocked me out in an embarrassing 2-1 loss in my worst game in management.​

Breaking News!
View attachment 894213
Sources today tell us that Clyde have sacked manager Mitchell after a poor league showing in the league which sees them in 7th currently despite being favourites.

10 minutes later...

Mitchell has released a statement regarding his sacking at Clyde.

"I can confirm that this is not a sacking. The board are becoming frustrated with the form of my team BUT I have resigned. Surrounding the news of me being linked with Munster and La Hoya in Germany and Spain respectively the board told me that they did not want me talking to other clubs, this lead to a disagreement despite me not talking to the clubs and I have decided to resign due to the club not supporting me in my decisions for the club."

"I will now look for the next best move for my career in order to continue my search for success."

So...
It didn't last long. I was in just October and I had left my first club but I was linked with clubs so I did apply for the clubs I was linked with. Munster and La Hoya in the bottom divisions of Germany and Spain.

I couldn't even tell you what went wrong with Clyde. The team just wasn't to the quality needed for a title challenge despite me adding quality. There was inconsistency in the entire team but the tactics just weren't being picked up.

Due to a mix of player contracts which included full-time, part-time and non-contract players tactics weren't being learnt and players weren't gelling together meaning they were performing poorly.

I had tried a number of different tactics, all of which worked for a game or two but then failed after that.

But it is now time to move on in my search for success...

The search continues
Two days after resigning I was broken to hear the La Hoya hot seat was taken by a previous Real Madrid player. That was my preferred job out of the two I had applied for.

The Munster job was still under consideration so I may still be lucky enough to get that. The only other job I thought I would be considered for is in the Spanish Second Division B3, higher than La Hoya.

Valencia Mastella had just sacked their manager and found themselves in the relegation zone so I took a shot at it in my continuing search for a job and success.

I then saw about a job in the Northern Irish second tier, I sent my application into Ards. Never heard of them but a job is a job and anything I think I can get I will apply for.

I now had 3 applications waiting to be responded to. Spain, Germany and Northern Ireland. Hopefully one of them would come back successful because waiting has never been one of my strong points.

Then the job that jumped out to me most. UCD of Ireland. I had always followed them, starting with playing as them on Fifa as a 15 year old because they were the worst team on the game. I knew my success probably wouldn't be replicated as I managed to win the Europa league with them in just 2 seasons with a team powered by Walsall loanees. I sent my application off with fingers crossed.

A couple of jobs also became available in the Italy Serie C. Not too sure how the whole system works there, one team were in C/A, Renate whilst another were in C/B, Ascoli.

Wow that was a tough day. 3 teams were reported as finding my application hilarious. It was nice to know they didn't want to hire me through the media like this before they sent me a very professional email to tell me the applications were unsuccessful. Didn't want to manage any of them anyway.

Ards on the other hand gave me a bit of good news saying they were flattered by my interest. When they sacked their previous manager there was only one person who was odds on favourite for the job and it now seemed a two man battle.

More good news after 10 days being unemployed with UCD being interested and Ards offering an interview. The Bradford Park Avenue job had also become available and I would really have to consider it. It was close to my adopted home and would make living easier, I sent my application.

The interview with Ards went really well. The chairman seemed like a nice bloke and I could see myself managing underneath him. No lofty expectations and a simple run club. I would consider it all when other teams came through with responses.

Ards had offered me the job and I decided to go for it. I told you I'm impatient and needed work now so I went into contract talks to see what they were offering. My only worry was that he went back on his word about the wage budget. He said £2000 a week and now offered £1800.

I went for it though. I asked for an increased wage to cover the living and moving costs. They offered a 1 year part time job at £350 a week. I asked for £500 a week and eventually they accepted.

View attachment 250025
Mitchell has been hired by Ards F.C in the Northern Irish second division with immediate effect after resigning from Clyde just 2 weeks ago.

It's reported that the club will be making some changes in order to meet his requests for the job including the hunt for a senior affiliate club. His rumoured wage is £500 a week.

More to follow...

Clyde were never as good as Queen's Park anyway ;)

In all seriousness, enjoying this so far, best of luck!

Clyde were never as good as Queen's Park anyway ;)

In all seriousness, enjoying this so far, best of luck!

No matter who I added and what tactics I used nothing worked with them, couldn't stay there. Hopefully I will find more success with Ards

First Day on the Job
View attachment 249720

2nd November 2014

So here I was. Ards. Never heard of it before? Neither had I. I researched it in more detail on my way round for my first day. It is basically a small town in the middle of nowhere it seems. It was another stepping stone for me though.

I had the meeting with the chairman and he gave me his personal report on the club. Quite a lot of history actually, they have won the first tier before as well as many other cups. They were relegated last season so should really be doing better than they are.

Looking at the squad it is a small squad with a lack of talent so no shock really that they find themselves in the relegation zone but the tactics apparently didn't help. The board want me to achieve mid table whilst the lads think we can do better and get a strong top half finish.

I was quite shocked when the assistant manager rated our best player as Josh Cahoon. You ask why I'm suprised? He is out on loan!

My first day was busy so I hadn't got a chance to really settle in. I had a game in two days meaning tomorrow I would have to really focus on tactics and settling in and getting to know everybody. The sooner I could settle in and get to know everybody the sooner this search will find an achievement hopefully.

I'm just glad that I was finally out of Clyde!​

How would I play this?
View attachment 249709
Now tactics were part of my downfall with Clyde. So on my second day I set out to fix this problem.

First I fixed one problem. Two players who would be key to success were out on loan so I recalled them and they would be back for tomorrow's game against Donegal Celtic.

Then I looked at tactics and the players I had. Unfortunately I realised two of my strongest players were right backs, so it would mean one of my best players would be on the bench. I also realised I had a lot of strength in attacking midfielders which automatically aided my decision for formation.

At first I would just pick one formation, let them settle into it and then bring in more options. I would go for what I preferred, 4-2-3-1 wide. I wanted to score goals so I will play an attacking style with the wing backs hopefully getting involved as they were some of my strongest players.

In terms of the fine details I would play possession based, short passing, high line, pressing, high tempo football where I would try to exploit the flanks using my strong wingers and full backs and work the ball into the box.

After a long day explaining the tactics to my players and coaches I had two things left to do. Firstly I started to look for a fitness coach and sent out a couple of offers.

I then looked at fixtures and my first three games are against 10th, 3rd and 14th. Wins in all three could see me rise as high as 3rd! Then I had two cup games. The first, a semi-final against Donegal in the Steel and Sons cup then a second round game in some random cup against an amateur team I think, I'll look into it properly later. It's been a long day.​

First Time Out
View attachment 249691
The first game in Ireland against Donegal. In theory a draw would be a good result. I was told by the physio before the game that fitness was worse than he thought meaning a lot of players would have to be rested or played despite being unfit.

It started well. 2-0 up at half time thanks to a brilliant performance from Cahoon, you know the guy who was out on loan. He scored 1 goal and set up Convery, the new captain for the second.

However the second half wasn't as kind. By the 50th minute I had used all 3 substitutions and ended up with an attacking midfielder in centre back. Knew fitness would get me.

They capitalised on this. First with a great move which saw them equalise before some poor defending at a set piece which saw them equalise. Luckily it they got tired too and they couldn't get a third. The draw saw me stay in 13th level on points with the team above me meaning I was still easily safe from relegation in my eyes.

It was a strong performance which I told the lads but they didn't seem interested. I said despite losing the lead they played well and picked up the tactics but a lot of them became frustrated with me for this. They didn't deserve a rollocking so I left them to it and apparently they calmed down after.​

Well that was unexpected
View attachment 248478
When I signed the contract with Ards I did not expect a lot of things. I didn't expect two first team players to be out on loan, that is a definite. I didn't expect to be greeted with a high quality team. But most of all I did not expect to hit the ground running as I have.

Since my first game I have won 5 on the bounce, unexpected. What makes it even more impressive is that I didn't think the formation I was playing would work but surprisingly it has worked very well.

I decided to play the 4-2-3-1 thinking that scoring goals had to be a priority and so far it has worked, having scored 10 goals in my first 6 games (including 2 in my first game in charge).

But anyway here is the round up...

What a start!
After drawing my first game 2-2 I wasn't expecting much in my next as I was set to play 3rd place Larne. What I got though was an inspired team who were ready for a change around in their season. Josh Cahoon, the winger who was out on loan had come back with a point to prove and boy he proved it. In the first half he managed to set up the opener for Dougan before scoring and then getting another assist for Arthurs to make it 3-0 at half time. From then on I told them to control the game and keep it simple and safe, it worked!

Third game in charge Ballyclare. A team who had been struggling to come off the bottom of the table all season and it seemed like it should be an easy win after the performance I had seen a week before but it took all of 87 minutes for Ross Arthurs to score the winner.

A final you say?

Well this was unexpected. I didn't realise how many competitions I would be forced to play in. 5 cups! One of them seemed to be a sign of the only success the previous manager had as they had made the semi-final and my opponents were the same team I faced in my first game, Donegal Celtic. It wasn't going to be made any easier though as Cahoon was cup-tied due to the loan move!

The first half was tense, as expected. Nothing happened except for back and forth football. I had the best of the chances with a couple of balls over the top leading to me hitting the post a few times towards the end of the first half.

At half time I told them to carry on what they were doing. Both of us had played league games the weekend before so both teams were tiring. I decided to take the risk of 3 substitutions at half time. It worked. They were on the back foot, they didn't know how to deal with the attacking introductions and just 18 minutes into the second half Willie Faulkner hit the perfect first time volley from a ball over the top to make it 1-0.

That was all we needed, I made them know this and told them to tighten up at the back. But they weren't done. Another dangerous ball over the top saw Faulkners effort pushed round the post and in the ensuing corner... BOOM! 2-0! Captain Convery perfectly headed the ball past a stunned keeper.

They then settled back. We tightened up, forced them to come at us and some brilliant defending, especially from Convery saw the game end 2-0 but not without controversy first. Two booked players, one of ours, one of theirs, went in for the same ball and Anto McGonnell for them saw red as he caught Hall.

2-0 and I was in my first ever cup final!!!!

Anyway...
The games continued to come thick and fast and without an blink of an eye I had another game in the intermediate cup. Not an easy game thanks to the mid week fixture causing injury and fitness problems, oh and again Cahoon couldn't play. They went up just 3 minutes in and I thought they were going to keep adding as they were creating chances and stopping anything going forward from us. In the 87th minute though we managed a break through after I told them to overload and force the issue. In extra time I told them to keep it and force penalties which we did and we went on to win 5-3 on penalties.

Then we got a break before another league fixture a week later against Harland and Wolff Welders. Fitness was a bit better, the players were ready to continue the league form and we managed another win, 1-0 thanks to Cahoon who seemed determined after missing out on two games due to his cup tie.

So where are we now...
After coming in and being in a relegation battle we now sit in 7th place. 4 points from the relegation zone and 8 points from second place Larne. I was determined to continue the good form and push for the top 2. It wouldn't be easy but it was doable if we can continue to pick up wins like this

I can't stay
View attachment 246809
It had been a tough couple of months since the last write up. The board weren't backing me despite my success and it seemed like the fans wanted more than what I was doing.

After the Welders game I picked up a 6th win on the bounce, it set a new club record. 2-1 this time against Distillery in the Irish Cup 4th round.

Then it was the big game. Bangor, Steel & Sons Cup final. I wasn't ready for it but nobody ever is. I was nervous, it was my first big final and I needed to win it in my eyes. It was heartbreaking to be 2-0 down after 10 minutes. Nervous defending lead to both goals and I was punished by one of the most in form strikers in the country. After half an hour it was 3-0, Ross Arthurs kept us within a grasp of winning it with a quick goal to make it 3-1 but at half time it was quiet. None of us expected this, 7 games unbeaten and all of a sudden we collapsed in our first big game. Ricky Gibson, their striker got his hat trick and it sealed the game. Cockcroft managed to pull one back but it was too late and it finished 4-2. Part of me just wonders how different it would've been if we had our most in form player, Cahoon on the pitch rather than the side line.

The next game just seemed to be unwinnable as we were just mentally broken. None of us seemed up for it after the loss we had gone through just 5 days before but it was another cup game, and another loss. Ross Arthurs was brilliant earning a hat trick against the Abbey Villa. The rest of the team were poor and it showed as a poor penalty decision and extra time later we went home with a 4-3 loss.

After conceding 4 goals in 7 games we had now conceded 8 in 2 and it was starting to cause problems for the squad. They were down, we were struggling and we needed to pick up form again. The league came at the perfect time as we picked up a 2-1 win against Armagh thanks to Dougan and Arthurs capitalising on long balls over the top, but it was sloppy defending for the goal we conceded.

Back to the Irish Cup, 5th round this time against 3rd tier outfit Glebe, they were struggling in the relegation zone so I was expecting an easy win. It seemed even easier after 15 minutes when they had a man sent off but no matter what I did with the tactics we couldn't break the deadlock and Glebe somehow forced a replay after a 0-0 draw.

The replay was equally as frustrating as we had to go to penalties. 4 injuries and a booking which would see our best player, Shannon suspended for the next game. Everybody was awful, even Cahoon! It took an inspired substitution by bringing Dolan on to score a brace in order for anything to happen but they scored. The 90 minutes ended 1-1 with both teams having 2 goals disallowed. Extra time saw them go up quickly, very quickly, straight from the kick off and we were really on the back foot but Dolan forced an error and made it 2-2 in the 117th minute. It went to penalties and we won 4-2 on penalties. We were very lucky though.

Why is it so hard?
Well, the board were really against me. The second we lost the cup final they told me my job was insecure despite it being my first loss in 8 games. They then lowered the wage budget claiming "it was too high for the set goals". That then put my job further at risk as I was now over budget and there was nothing I could do about it, I'd only just given everybody new contracts.

In the league I had taken them out of the relegation zone and was now 6th and the board only wanted a mid-table finish but they weren't happy with me claiming I should now be fighting for promotion. I would love to but it isn't easy with the squad I have, especially when I have 5 starters out for at least the next 3 games.

Northern Ireland wasn't my cup of tea either. I needed to move. I'd seen jobs coming up all over Italy, Spain, Scotland but I wanted to move to England. The only English jobs that had come up were out of my league and there were no longer any coming up.

I am staying and I will try and fight it out but the board aren't supporting me at all, despite my success. I was struggling mentally and also financially. Turns out the accommodation the board had put me in was only for 3 months so come February I would be booted out meaning that my £500 a week contract would now be paying for literally everything, it wasn't sustainable.

I needed a move, soon, I love it here with the team but the place doesn't love me.​

A very, very slow month
View attachment 246465
I cannot wait till the end of the season. I have played two games in the last month! The same two games kept getting pushed back due to waterlogged pitches and because of re-scheduling other games were moved so yeah 2 games.

The first was a league match and a bit of a revenge game against Bangor after the loss in the final of the Steel and Sons cup. Cahoon made the difference as we won 3-0, he scored two. All it did was add to my pondering of what could of been if I had him available.

That somehow earned me manager of the month. I'd played 2 league games in January and managed 2 wins which is apparently enough to win the award against managers who had played 3/4 games. Anyway it was my second manager of the month award since coming to Ards.

My next game was Ballyclare in the Irish Cup 6th round. I'd achieved my goal in the tournament but I wanted to taste another final and success. I'd won the game 2-1 despite playing over an hour of it with 10 men down to some poor tackles from captain Convery. Again Cahoon scored and set up Dougan for the other.

Nothing else had happened in this time other than getting 3 loan offers from top tier teams for Cahoon! Second in the league Cliftonville, who I will face in the Irish Cup quarter finals want him desperately as they made 3 offers but they can't have him.

I'm still looking to leave. Despite meeting all goals set for me up to now the board still reckon I am insecure down to being £30 over my wage budget and not challenging for automatic promotion. If I win my games in hand I will be second in the league so that may, emphasis on the may, shut them up.

I have decided though that baring any offers I will stay for the season. I am enjoying it here but I just don't feel like I am getting any support, I mean if it wasn't for me saving all my money I wouldn't even have a place to live. I do think I could achieve success here, but not under this board. It is a good squad and a strong set of young promising players but without the money to keep them at the club I won't be able to do anything.

So...
Since it is a short update I thought I'd give more information on myself. I'd never really thought about being a manager. The goal was always to find a good job in a computing or business company and do well in that industry but after completing my university course I decided to go for it.

Leaving school I had obtained my National C License as me and some mates thought it'd be something to do to pass time over a long summer period. According to the "teachers" I was the youngest person to achieve the C License at just 18 years old, I was also fastest gaining it in just 3 weeks.

When I started university, in Bradford, I'd decided on going into the computing career but I was always doing football writing on the side and watching it constantly in the sports bar. I had been in university for a week before I met now best friend, "Box" who also decided he wanted to do some coaching courses so we went out and got our B License alongside uni.

After finishing uni I was left with an ultimatum. Computing or Football? I wanted to be in sport and I decided to take a chance and wait for a job to come up. My family, friends and girlfriend all supported me in saying that I could find something.

The first job I was offered was Clyde. It meant moving away from home with my girlfriend and leaving everything behind. I wanted an English management job but it was the first offer and I went for it. You've seen how Clyde ended up, it wasn't the greatest managerial stint of all time but now I'm here in Ards.

My family come over every now and then, friends are the same. Me and my girlfriend are making it work and we are trying our best to find something together rather than a ferry away from eachother.

The plan now was to finish out this season and then move onto elsewhere, hopefully in England. Northern Ireland is nice, I love the team but nothing seems to go my way with board members and it just isn't a stable enough living routine to warrant staying longer than the course of this season.​

Oh, we have a match?
View attachment 246458
It was back, that match day rush after 2 weeks without football and only 2 games in the space of a month I was glad to have it back. It was one of the games which had been postponed multiple times and it was a big one against 3rd place Larne. A win would see me move into the top 5 and just a win from the top 2.

I only managed a draw in a game where I had 5 starting players out, 4 to suspension! I don't get the whole discipline system here, based on some points or something I dunno. I ended up drawing 3-3 in a real back and forth game. It was a fair result as nobody really defended well enough to claim the win.

The win would've seen me go up to 5th but I stay in 8th, only 4 points off of the 2nd place promotion playoff spot. That would tempt me to stay if I got promoted. My contract is out at the seasons end anyway, I'll see how it goes.

Where's the fight?!
View attachment 245935
It is safe to say that I am not happy with the squad. They just stopped caring after the Larne game. I am definitely leaving at the end of the season as well, despite keeping it tight throughout most of my career here and overachieving in all the cup competitions I managed in the board weren't happy with me.

I am happy though that I am leaving the club in a good state when I do though. I managed to sign everybody but Shannon, out star right back, who is needed up to a new contract for another season but to be honest I think the club are better off without him. Since the cup final he hasn't cared and he has been the blame for 50% of the goals we have conceded but injuries and fitness worries for back up Greg Hall meant I couldn't drop him.

The first game ended awfully, bottom of the table Loughall embarrassed me 3-1. Next I managed a 2-1 victory against Distillery, all due to Cahoon who was the only good player on the pitch for us winning the ball and converting our only two chances of the game. A 2-0 loss to PSNI then followed, nobody showed any care except for Cahoon and Gage but the rest of the team let us down.

The Irish Cup Quarter Final was next against Cliftonville, current Northern Irish Champions and they are now 2nd in the top division. We lost 1-0 but we were the better team creating more chances and forcing them to park the bus after an early mistake gave them the lead. Mark Burns got a red card with 30 seconds left but it was all down to frustration setting in and it was fair enough in my eyes, I just told him to keep it inside next time.

A 2-1 loss to the Welders was next. 3 penalties! 3! FOR ME! Shannon took all 3 and only converted 1! I planned on dropping him only for back up Hall to get injured.

Another 2, 2-1 losses followed against now champions Carrick, who won it with 4 games to spare, and Dergview who were destined for midtable. At this point we were completely out of a promotion fight I hoped for and it was now a relegation battle, that shows how tight this division is.

With 4 games left I was 6 points clear of relegation. I now have to play 6th place Knockbreda, 9th place Donegal Celtic, 10th place Dundela and bottom of the league Ballyclare whom I was only 9 points clear of so that could be a massive game.

All I know at the moment is whatever happens I am planning on managing in England next season. I had applied for a job in the German Third Division but got turned down and now I was focusing on survival and an English managing career.

The fight was on...
View attachment 245933
So with 4 games left I was fighting against relegation. I had dropped Shannon, he was frustrating me as he only seemed to care when there was something in it for him. Since we dropped out of the promotion fight and all the cups he has stopped caring. Hall, just back from injury will replace him.

I also changed tactics. Despite playing a mix of 3 different tactics an ex-player claimed the reason for struggles was predictability so I changed to a simple 4-4-2.

Game 1- Knockbreda Home

The first of the four games was against Knockbreda. We went 1-0 up quickly only for them to equalise, equally as quickly and it went to half time at 1-1. Hall was playing brilliantly. The start of the second half saw two injuries force substitutions which was unfortunate as I needed to change it around but couldn't. Nothing happened until the final minutes, substitute Shannon went off with 5 minutes left to an injury leaving us with 10 men so I wasn't at all hopeful but Hall, who had been injured himself converted a penalty. 2-1! Only for them to equalise seconds later due to some poor defending. A draw will do.

Game 2- Donegal Celtic Away

The news came out after the last game that Shannon would miss the rest of the season with a groin strain. I'm not sure it makes any difference, even as a sub in the last game he didn't seem to play with any passion so I told Hall he would be the number one choice for the rest of the season whilst Shannon looked for teams elsewhere to play for.

Going into this game with 3 left I was 6 points clear so a win and anything but a Loughall win would see me survive and they faced Knockbreda so I was confident in them getting a point at most against a good team.

It was an unchanged starting 11 for the game. Only one change on the bench as Shannon was replaced with Convery who had just come back from suspension. He would go back into the 11 but I need natural players in each position and he sometimes strikes me as a midfielder the way he pushes forward and there is no room for silly mistakes.

That was my greatest game as a manager. 6-1! Arthurs and Cahoon are a brilliant striking pair as they took part in every goal. Cahoon scored the first, Gage the second, Arthurs the third, Cahoon the fourth, Dougan the fifth and Cully the sixth. They were pushing Donegal onto the backfoot constantly and it was only a brilliant ball over the top that saw them get their only shot of the game for their goal.

Loughall lost 3-0 to Knockbreda meaning I was safe now! No worries about relegation and now I was ready to move on. The final two games would just me a chance for me to add to my resume before moving to a new club.

Game 3- Dundela Away
With nothing to play for now I was happy. I sent out an unchanged team and hoped for the best. I wanted a win but to be honest I wasn't bothered anymore, I just wanted the fans and players to be happy before moving on.

I had spent the two weeks leading up to this game checking emails constantly waiting for a new contract offer but the board weren't sending one so I guessed I wasn't wanted, I would've considered it at least if they offered it before today but I didn't want to stay if I wasn't wanted.

Arthurs scored in the first half to take it to 1-0 at half time with a nice volley. He seemed determined on beating Cahoon to the top goalscorer award after being here all season. He now sat on 11 with Cahoon on 12 I think, it would be interesting to watch next week.

Dundela equalised early into the second half but late goals from Dolan, who got his 7th of the season, and Arthurs second which saw his total tie Cahoon on 12 saw us pick up a 3-1 victory.

Game 4- Ballyclare Home

The final day was purely about position, I could finish as high as 5th and as low as 11th. A win would probably see me finish around 7th or 8th. Despite being bottom of the league and Loughall already being relegated Ballyclare could still survive if they win their game in hand and last game with results going their way so it would be an interesting game.

They only managed a draw in their spare game meaning they would be relegated for the final game but they would still be playing for pride so it wouldn't be an easy game. Us playing for position and them playing for pride.

Gage would miss out to suspension meaning Convery was back into the team and Faulkner, who was making a quick return to play another game would be on the bench after rushing his injury recovery to make the last game, I'll bring him on as a sub.

The game finished 2-1 to us. Cahoon won top goalscorer for this season with the first and Faulkner showed what we'd missed for 4 months with the winner late on. This meant a 6th place finish for us meaning I had "overachieved" to some extent for Ards.

In 6 months here I won manager of the month twice, finished runner up twice and third once, not a bad record. But still no contract was offered to me before the seasons end meaning any offer now would be turned down without question.

Now you want me!
View attachment 245923
Over a month after the season finished and just over a month before my contract was set to expire the board came to me with contract offers and vision talks. I wasn't going into contract talks.

A month ago despite me overachieving they didn't want me to sign a new contract and I was odds on to be sacked and insecure. Now after they have discussed it for a while and probably considered other options they have come to me for talks!

I wanted to stay for the fans and players but I knew I left a set up that would leave the next manager in a position to succeed. I wanted to move to England for personal reasons but I also wanted to leave here because of the board. I wanted to be somewhere I was wanted by the people in charge, I didn't have it at Clyde and I definitely don't have it here.

I think I could count my time at Ards as successful. Cup final, overachievment and making a good squad great seemed to make me a good young managerial prospect. I knew I would have plenty of options for a new club so I would sit and play the waiting game.​

Sacked...
View attachment 903768
I had been sacked, well forced to resign, again. The board didn't want me then they wanted me and now they don't want me again. They have never backed me and they never liked me, I think I was the best of a bad bunch when they hired me but they forced me to resign now.

I was now off back home to England to pursue a career there. Hopefully I would find work in the conference north or south before the end of June.

Still waiting...
In over 3 months of being unemployed I was starting to regret my decisions. I had been linked with 3 or 4 jobs, mainly in Wales. Out of the 4 English jobs I had applied for I was offered one interview, for newly promoted Conference South or North team Matlock.

I was confident in getting it. They were flattered by my interest but apparently the interview didn't go well as they turned me down just a few days later.

It seemed I would be waiting until the season had started before getting a job in the English leagues but I was willing to wait. I wasn't ready for another job in a foreign country and I wanted to be closer to home.

I don't know what went wrong in the interview, maybe it was the fact I asked for a parent club. That couldn't lose me a job could it? Especially when I said I understood they didn't want one. Maybe it was just experience. I don't know, it was a long wait though.

The wait continues...
I had been waiting for 4 months now, numerous job applications had been rejected and when I got to the end of August I was offered a resit of my final year of university. I had to take it, the final year hadn't gone so well and with my management career seeming to come to a quick halt I needed a backup plan.

Maybe I just wasn't destined to be a manager. I had been rejected from English, Belgian, Scottish, Irish, Italian, German and Dutch teams. The last 4 months had sort of drained out the excitement of it as well, I now knew the tough side of it as well as the easy side and I was realising how tough it was going to be with my limited experience.

I had a couple of job applications pending but they weren't promising so I went back to university.

View attachment 245164