Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm coming back off of what I would call a very successful first season at West Ham, I signed one player Etxeita from Bilbao and managed to finish 6th overall (I had a scary moment where I thought I may get Champions League football but performances dipped right at the end which was painful to watch but overall I'm delighted).

Now I felt my tactic worked quite well but I knew there were a lot of flaws as certain teams really exposed me, so was hoping to get your verdicts.

GK - Defend -PI to distribute to full backs)
FBL - Automatic
CD - Defend
CD - Defend
FBR - Automatic
DM - Defend
CMR - Automatic
WML - Support
AMCL - Attack
AMR Inside Forward - Attack
DLF - Support

As you can see 90% are the base player role for that position mainly because I seemed to mess up with the other roles and this is an Asymmetric 41221

It was a fluid formation and I mixed it up between Standard, Attacking, Counter depending on opponents.
Team Instructions - Retain Possession, Shorter Passing, Work Ball Into Box, Higher Def Line, Close Down More, Stay On Feet, Higher Tempo.

I would like to improve this though as I feel otherwise Europe could be more damaging than enjoyable and more teams could expose the weaknesses.

I mainly want a solid back line as I felt I gave away some silly goals at times. But I want us to create chances still, not waste the ball with shots from stupid angles or distances unless there really is no option, so this is what I'm thinking...

First up Team Instructions, this I think is catching me out as my defence is probably not as good as others so I may keep it on Counter, and make the side Flexible. Then play with the following Shorter Passing, Work Ball Into Box, Drop Deeper, Stay On Feet, Higher Tempo.

I want my full backs to push up when safe but be sensible when they do so they don't leave our wings exposed, so I'm thinking of making them either defensive wing backs or maybe supporting full backs. My centre backs I'm going to set them both to limited defenders and go for a stopper/cover option, my defensive midfielder I'm thinking of making a half back too so that I'm not leaving too much space for my from my full backs pushing forward, then I may make my centre midfielder a new role but I'm not sure which one would suit him as he can win the ball well but I also want him to help create chances so I was thinking deep lying playmaker yet that could scupper his ability in the final third as he did well last season and was my 4th top goal scorer so maybe box to box or advanced playmaker could work (this one I'm struggling with most), my left midfielder was probably my most ineffective player of the whole side with only a few games being decent...I'm tempted to either push him in as a centre midfielder or push him up to AML or maybe it is his role, I want him to help my left back so I think pushing him into the centre could be a bad idea but if I push him to AML then I lose that extra player for my CM to help him in the middle so it could mean pulling my attacking mid back who again wasn't always totally effective, the Attacking midfield player is my best player on the ball so I want him to create as much as he can while trying the odd shot if he can, so potentially pulling him back to CM could work with an advanced playmaker role on an attack duty making the AML winger, my AMR will stay as an Inside Forward that position seemed to have decent matches 75% of the time but when we struggled then that position seemed to take the most damage lastly my striker, it worked fantastically until about 30 games into the season when the goals started drying up, I want this person to score the most, so I'm thinking poacher, but then at the same time I don't want them to shoot needlessly when there is a better option to pass, so would an attacking DLF be better?

Anyway if any of you have some tips to make this work please let me know as I don't want to suffer second season syndrome and end up being in a relegation scrap!

I dont like players on automatic duties as they get drawn allover the place by the philosophy (and may not be doing what you think they are)

Scrapped these as they were terrible in pre season. I'm now playing a much changed formation. A 41131