Serie A best XI 1992-2002

FCBPEP

Reaction score
Hello this thread will hopefully inspire Serie A fans and those who like Italian football, the concept is based around Gazzetta Football Italia and when Italian Serie A started first Broadcasting on Channel 4 here in England please select your best XI from the period of 1992-2002 (Decade) but there are a few rules to this:

*Your XI must have a Minimum of 2 centre Backs and 2 Full backs
*Your XI must contain a minimum of 5 ITALIAN players who have played in Serie Between 92-02.
*Goalkeepers are exempt from the above NATIONALITY rule!
*You can choose any formation you desire providing you stick to the above.
*You may choose a maximum of 5 subs if you so desire of which 2 MUST be ITALIAN and 1 must be a GK
*There's no restrictions on how many players you choose from a specific club providing the above is met!
*Lastly have fun reminiscing of the good old Gazetta Footbaill Italia days of James Richardson and the
GOOOOOOOOAL LACCIOOOOOOOOO
them tune!

[video=youtube;ASM3jm-ocyA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASM3jm-ocyA[/video]

4-1-2-1-2

---------------------------------------------BUFFON (ITA)----------------------------------------------

------------------------------NESTA (ITA)--------------------THURAM (FRA)------------------------------

--------------CAFU (BRA)----------------------------------------------------------MALDINI(C)(ITA)---------

---------------------------------------------WINTER (HOL)--------------------------------------------

-------------------------------BOBAN (SRB)-----------------------NEDVED (CZE)---------------------------

-------------------------------------------------TOTTI (ITA)----------------------------------------------

-------------------------------BATISTUTA (ARG)-----------------SIGNORI (ITA)----------------------------

Subs:

1. GK. PAGLUICA (ITA)
2. CB. ALDAIR (BRA)
3. DM. DESAILLY (FRA)
4. CM/AM. DEL PIERO (ITA)
5. ST. CRESPO (ARG)

Buffon

Cafu Thuram Baresi Maldini

Rijkaard/Gullit (can't decide!!!!)
Zidane Nedved

Del Piero Baggio

Van Basten

Think i got my dates messed up with Van Basten, if i have, replaced by Signori or Batistuta

BUFFON

BARESI------- MALDINI
------- CAFU ------------------------------- ZAMBROTTA

GATTUSO

ZIDANE --- NEDVED

TOTTI

BATISTUTA ----- BAGGIO

SUBS:

PAGLIUCA
CANNAVARO
DAVIDS
DEL PIERO
VIERI

love how you done the tricolore colours hows did you do it?? btw good team :)

love how you done the tricolore colours hows did you do it?? btw good team :)

Just highlighted the letters that I wanted to change the colour of - it took a while to do. Would have Rijkaard instead of Gattuso, but it would be unfair to pick someone who only played until 1993, and Gattuso adds more defensive solidarity to a very attacking team.

Also would have liked Thuram on the bench and possibly Pirlo although his best years have been after 2002

Last edited:
I think my team would be very similiar to fuelledbypassions. But possibly swap Ronaldo for Vieri and Zambrotta for Zanetti.

I understand your choices yes Rino is one of my fave players but I chose aaron winter simply because he was very under rated at the time but was a superb DM. He covered the defence read the game well had a great tackle and made lots of interceptions he made lazio tick at the time.

Chose Zvonomir Boban because simply he was a fantatsic all round midfielder with tireless workrate an eye for a pass and had a wonderful long shot. Nedved again I chose because he had a fantastic engine got up and down the pitch linked well with his passes and offerd that great drive from midfield needed and like Boban offered a long rate shooting threat.

Gabriel Batistuta was just a pure goal machine whether it was aerial on the ground he was a constant threat throughout and his movement was difficult for defenders to pick up on. Beppe Signori was chosen because he was soo prolific in front of goal the classic poacher always carving out opportunities for himself he also worked extremely hard for his team mates.

Buffon

Thuram

Baresi

Nesta

Maldini

Rijkaard

Zidane

Nedved

Del Piero

Ronaldo

Baggio

Dejan Savićević deserves a shout too, just a shame he wasn't more consistent. Big game player though and an incredible talent.
George Weah was pretty handy as well.

looking at my team how would i implement them into FM12 well here goes;

I would take a RIGID approach I want my team to attack defend and control but within specific limits.passing would be short, tempo set to 1 notch before slow and width set to wide seeing as my midfield is pretty narrow. I would set passing down to both flanks to utilize my full backs. Playmaker role would be set either Boban or Nedved and target man set to Totti/feet why do i do this?? because I want either boban or nedved to create play from midfield linking with totti who by when selected as target man to feet means he will receive the ball often enough to create chances so in effect you create 2 play makers!. creative freedom is set to be more disciplined, marking is set to zonal, and roaming set to stick to position, tackling is set to default as you only want your defenders tackling hard. Defensive line set 1 notch before push up, time wasting 1 notch sometimes and the team would play offside due to the highish line!

there you go

Buffon
cafu
baresi
nesta
maldini
rijkard
nedved
zidane
totti
baggio
batigol