IronTusk

Reaction score
I have started a new game as Pescara in the Serie B. I am top of the table and looking like I will get promoted.

Currently playing with a 4-2-2-2 with 2 CM`s and 2 wingers which is working well but I`m thinking that this may be too attacking once I get promoted!.

I was thinking of trying 4-2-3-1 but I have read a lot of posts saying it is very hard to get this formation to work on FM.

Any Ideas?

The jump from Serie B to Serie A is huge, much more so than, say, Championship to Premier League. I tried to play a 4-2-3-1 when I got promoted with San Marino, ended up getting relegated on the last day and I lost my job.

It's a difficult one, because you WILL concede lots and lots of goals in Serie A due to the quality of players throughout the league. I'd find if I set up defensively I might shut teams like AC Milan, Inter or Juve out, but then someone like Hernanes or Pogba will just smash in a 40 yard wondergoal.

In this sense then I'd say the best tactic to go for is a quick, direct, counter attacking tactic that hopes to outscore the opponent. Something that will create lots of CCC's and just hope to put your chances away when you get them, because in Serie A you won't be able to dominate games until you have top quality players. JamieFM at FMHub did this very well in his San Marino challenge on youtube, I'd recommend checking that out