ChivuStoica

Reaction score
Hey y'all, so, despite the fact that I come here and lecture people about tactics in a probably-off-putting way, there's one area of tactics that I'm genuinely awful at: set piece routines. I really have no idea about how to set them up so I tend to go with a pretty generic approach and any goals I get from them tend to be when my guys just make a play, rather than me having put them in a great position with my setup. I was wondering if y'all might be willing to share what you've found that works for you or just some general advice for this type of stuff, and maybe we could get a discussion going that might be helpful to other players (especially beginners) who struggle setting up set pieces too.

the main one is the corners, my set up below can be spectacular and solid and is definately reliable with the right players in the right positions.

Defending corners both left and right,

FB's / WB's -------------------mark the post

3 x CB or 3 Players over 6"1 with good anticipation, marking and aggression or best available -------------zonal mark 6 yard box

2 x MC's / DM's ---------------go back

1 x DM / MC / AMC -------------edge of area

2 x players left usually its LW / RW or fast ST's------------------stay forward

Attacking corners both left and right,

2 x FB / WB -----------stay back
2 x CB's ---------------- attack near / attack far
1 x ST ---------------- challenge GK
1 x CD / CDM / CM ------------Players over 6"1 with good anticipation, heading and aggression or best available attack from deep
2 x CDM / CM / AMC ---------lurk outside area
2 players left -----------go forward
one or both of these players will be the takers, if one of the set positions above are your takers replace with another player

delivery will depend on takers preferred foot..

for inswinging corners far post from 1 side and near post from other

for outswinging cross penalty area both sides

I do try and mix it up with both styles to keep AI guessing.

Freekicks

usually leave to default

Long throws

best headers front post 2 lurking outside area