Setting Auto Player Roles,did not know this existed.

That's a useful bit of advice. I find that once you have the team tactics set-up, it's better to have as many players playing in their preferred positions, roles and duties as possible, even if that means making tweaks to the overall tactic. And with this approach, I have just taken a cash-strapped AFC Bournemouth back into the Premier League via the play-offs, despite being tipped for mid-table mediocrity at the start of the season.

In my 4-4-2 set-up, I prefer to use a False-9_Support alongside a Target Man_Support, with all four of my wide players detailed to get crosses in. But I can also replace the TM with an Advanced Forward_Attack who has the pace to stretch the opposition defence through the centre, with the F-9 providing most of the ammunition with throughballs from deeper positions. Sometimes though, the F-9 will have an off day or needs a rest, so I want the TM to sit a little deeper with the AF alongside him. It still works tactically and helps me to rotate and get the best out of my squad.

Having these presets in place will help to make these changes quicker and leave less room for user error, when I might forget to change one setting or another. And it's realistic, too, because Zach Clough (F-9), Aleksander Mitrovic (TM) and Rushian Hepburn-Murphy (AF) will all know what their specific roles are in my squad. I never ask them to play other roles; I just make my selection - two from three, usually Clough and Mitrovic starting with Rushian-Murphy on the bench - and change the personnel around them.

Last edited: