SFA To Get Tough On Divers

Sean

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Scottish Football Association will take the unprecedented step of issuing retrospective yellow cards to players found guilty of diving from January 1 next year. The move, outlined by Gordon Smith, the SFA's chief executive, yesterday, will see referees in the Premier League review every match within 72 hours of full-time, using official television footage. If the referee is convinced a player has dived to win a free-kick or penalty, a booking will be issued and, in turn, if a player was booked for a foul which his opponent dived to win, that caution will be rescinded.....

[Read More] From The Guardian

Sounds like a good thing to me. Hopefully it will prove to be successful and then it could get introduced into the English leagues :D

I still think that video replays ingame would be more beneficial. I mean if a player dives and wins a penalty and the defender receives a red or yellow card, the cards may be rescinded and given to the true offender (the diver), but what if the penalty is scored or the defender is sent off? Both game changing incidents and these cant be put right after the final whistle.

I think they should either introduce ingame video replays or leave it alone totally, giving us something to argue about in the pub or at work etc...

I agree with booze but this will be interesting aswell good to see Gordon Smith trying to make a difference

yeh was really pleased that SFA apointed Gordon Smith, i wonder if he will try to implement summer football like he was always prattiling on about for years on the radio.

FIFA might be stopping this from happening

Does this include dives where the player leaves a trailing leg?

Its good to see somebody doing something about it at last, its just the issue of incidents leading to goals and sendings off. Nothing can change a games scoreline after the fact so it could turn out to be a bit of something or nothing.

Fair play to the SFA for trying something out though.

FIFA might be stopping this from happening

Yeh it says in the article that FIFA wouldn't let the FA try something similar. Hopefully they will let them do it though.

Does this include dives where the player leaves a trailing leg?

Yeh it will do, as long as it is obvious it was a dive though. I'm sure they have a good system sorted out.

good idea, glad to see someone trying to do something about it. Booz is right about penalties etc though