Sheffield Wednesday - A new era at Hillsborough

I3east

Reaction score
150px-Sheffield_Wednesday.svg.png

Chansiri targets Premier League

milan-chansiri-4x3138-2307516_478x359.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday's new chairman Dejphon Chansiri has given the club a target to gain promotion to the Premier League within the next two seasons to coincide with the clubs 150th anniversary. Chansiri, who purchased the club for £37.5m earlier in the year has pledged to spend whatever it takes to make sure they reach their target after saying "We will do whatever is appropriate to invest in the club to get them to the Premier League".

The Owls finished in 13th position last season and rumours are spreading that Chansiri may look to replace current manager Stuart Gray with someone he can choose. The new chairman has already pledged £1m to a new state of the art pitch at Hillsborough whilst also paying for a new scoreboard to be installed to enhance the match day experience at Hillsborough. One thing for certain is that there will be a overhaul of the playing staff at Hillsborough with many people leaving and a better quality of player coming to replace them.

Stuart Gray replaced as Owls boss

GrayOwls_3197239.jpg

As widely expected following rumours over the last few days, new Sheffield Wednesday owner Dejphon Chansiri has made a change of management with Stuart Gray leaving the club. Gray was in charge of the Owls for 83 games and had a win ratio of 36.14%. Gray, managed to ensure that The Owls survived in the championship two seasons ago after a shocking start under previous boss Dave Jones saw them slumped in the bottom tree without a win in 16 games, however Gray managed to keep them in the league and carried on that progression into this season.

The man chosen to replace Stuart Gray is former Chelsea and Leeds striker and current Burton Albion manager Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink. Hasselbaink led Burton to promotion from League 2 in his first season with an impressive win ratio of 62.07% as his team only lost three games under him last season. Hasselbaink, who has 197 career goals as player commented on his move to Hillsborough;

"I can't thank the chairman enough for believing that i am the right person to lead this club into the Premier League. I loved my time at Burton and wish them the very best but this is a new chapter now, i need to focus on the job at hand and start assembling a squad for next season. Mr Chansiri has promised to back me in the transfer market so we will have quite a lot of spending power this summer and hopefully we can start buying some top quality Championship players."

JimmyFloydHasselnbaink1.jpg

Hasselbainks Sheffield Wednesday record:

Played:
Won:
Drawn:
Lost:

Honours

Last edited:
Good luck mate. Always had a bit of a soft spot for the owls :)

Building for the future

Sheffield Wednesdays new manager Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink has today told press he is aiming to build a team for the future and that promotion in his first season may not be his main priority. With as many as 14 players out of contract at Hillsborough there is a huge rebuilding process that needs to begin as the club currently have no wingers at all in their squad.

Also, the squad is looking thin in the forwards department with Gary Madine coming to the end of his contract, Athde Nuhiu not performing and Caolan Lavery still not ready for first team football which leaves Hasselbaink with just Stevie May and Sergiu Bus as his main striking options. Here is a list of the top five targets that The Owls have been linked with this summer.

Jed Wallace
jed-wallace-8x6549-2317076_478x359.jpg

A tricky winger currently playing in League 2 for Portsmouth. At only 21 years old he has played 109 games and scored 27 goals. Not only can Wallace score goals, he also grabs 10+ assists on a regular basis which would be ideal for Bus and May to feed off of.

Chuks Aneke
_56882660_56882658.jpg

Aneke, formerly of Arsenal, is an attacking midfielder who can also play up front. With limited experience as a footballer and for someone who has already played for five teams by the age of 21, would Hasselbaink be able to get him settled and scoring goals like he was known for with his time at Crewe where he scored 20 goals over two loan spells.

Tyrone Mings
tyrone-mings.jpg

Mings is a huge presence within Ipswich's team at the moment. Standing at 6ft 5 and with pace as well he is a well sought after defender who was subject of a £3 million bid from Crystal Palace in January. With Premier League interest in him this transfer may be one of the harder ones to get through.

Sammy Ameobi
250043069.jpg

Out of contract at Newcastle this summer but has been in and around their first team recently. The Owls need someone with raw pace and power since they lost Michail Antonio to Nottingham Forest last season and Ameobi on a free would be a perfect way to try and replace him.

Reuben Reid
reuben-reid-profile86-1813786_231x264.jpg

Reid may not be one of the first names that comes to your head when you think of good goal scorers throughout the English leagues but since his return to Plymouth he has really hit it off scoring 36 goals in 100 games. New boss Hasselbaink knows the player well after he managed Burton against Plymouth twice last season. A cheaper option maybe.​

​Transfer update

do6lup.png

Key first team signings

Lewis McGugan

The main man in midfield, a maestro at this level who has brilliant set piece ability. At £100,000 i couldn't say no to this transfer.

Craig Wighton

More of an unknown youngster from Scotland. However, he has potential in huge amounts. We had to beat Liverpool, West Ham and Crystal Palace to this signing.

Jed Wallace

The number one target of the transfer window has finally arrived. However, he was costly and Portsmouth would not sell for under £3m unless they had him back on loan for the season.

James Wilson

Potential loan signing of the season right here. Wilson is already a good striker despite being so young and is surely ready to find a club to make his mark on the game. A real game changer for The Owls as they lacked goals the previous season.

Ollie Bayliss (regen)

A young winger from Crewe who my scouting team found. He has 4* potential ability and is already attracting the interest of one or two Premier League clubs.

Alex Prtichard

Another winger who joined on the cheap from Tottenham despite having a good season last year in this league with Brentford. He managed 6 goals and 9 assists for Brentford and won their player of the year award.

Chuks Aneke

The most expensive signing so far. At £2.5m he will have a lot of pressure to be a success but his return of 12 goals in 30 games last season gives The Owls the hope that he will be a success here.

Anthony Knockaert

A top class winger who will surely be missed by Leicester. He has the skills, pace and crossing ability that Wednesday sorely missed last season and strikers like Aneke, Bus and Wilson will surely strive from this.

2eb7a69.png

Most of the transfers out are players who would struggle to make the cut if the club mount a Premier League push. Plenty of youngsters with good potential have been sent out on loan to gain some first team experience.​

Chansiri targets Premier League

milan-chansiri-4x3138-2307516_478x359.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday's new chairman Dejphon Chansiri has given the club a target to gain promotion to the Premier League within the next two seasons to coincide with the clubs 150th anniversary. Chansiri, who purchased the club for £37.5m earlier in the year has pledged to spend whatever it takes to make sure they reach their target after saying "We will do whatever is appropriate to invest in the club to get them to the Premier League".

The Owls finished in 13th position last season and rumours are spreading that Chansiri may look to replace current manager Stuart Gray with someone he can choose. The new chairman has already pledged £1m to a new state of the art pitch at Hillsborough whilst also paying for a new scoreboard to be installed to enhance the match day experience at Hillsborough. One thing for certain is that there will be a overhaul of the playing staff at Hillsborough with many people leaving and a better quality of player coming to replace them.

Good luck with the Owls!
o.png

Pre-season results

5l3nf7.png

2wq721w.png

jv1wfa.png

20ab406.png

xmrfvs.png

2n248lg.png

v7sccj.png

Player of pre-season

bus-ia138-2242316.jpg

Sergiu Bus

Position: Striker
Played: 7
Scored: 6
Assists: 1

One for the future

jack-stobbs138-2000731.jpg

Jack Stobbs

Position: Right Midfield
Played: 4
Scored: 1
Assists: 3​

Some great signings there. Wilson, May and Bus should all be able to score plenty for you too.

Some great signings there. Wilson, May and Bus should all be able to score plenty for you too.

Yeah that's what i'm hoping! May was really poor in pre-season though despite his brace against Crewe. Betra, a youth player, played better and looked to have more promise despite only being 18.

Last edited:
Lewis McGugan - Forest legend.
What a player you've got there and for only 100k!
Sorry he's from my home town!

Lewis McGugan - Forest legend.
What a player you've got there and for only 100k!
Sorry he's from my home town!

I know i couldn't believe it! There is a clause in his loan from last season allowing me to purchase him for £100k. Couldn't say no haha.

Unbeaten start for Hasselbaink
tfs-1537-4x3241-2232363_478x359.png

September's results

2ikzcat.png

A fantastic way to start the season against a very good Ipswich side who recently signed players like Carlton Cole. We dominated the game and managed to keep a clean sheet in the process. A solid start.

20u8hgh.png

What a game! A mixture of first team and reserves were played in this match in order to stop fatigue within the team. They didn't disappoint! Rhys McCabe was man of the match in central midfield scoring two and getting two assists and Ed Sanders at center back put in a very solid performance.

2l8uvt4.png

Another amazing performance. Another game and another clean sheet also! Sergiu Bus was man of the match scoring two absolute worldies and also claiming the assist for Kieran Lee's goal.

11iogv7.png

I have no idea how we didn't win this game. We had so many shots but we just struggled to beat their keeper. Bus hit the bar and Ameobi had a goal ruled out for offside in the 90th minute which made it feel more like a defeat than a draw.

2rdkeuf.png

fy0bit.png

What a good team performance against arguably the best team in the league. Stevie May looked to be reaching his full potential grabbing a goal and an assist and Knockaert is proving a valuable player on the wing.

2yzh0e0.png

We carry on in the cup! A bit of a sloppy match to be honest and we were saved by our two strikers Bus and Wilson. Good to see Wilson score on his first game back since he got injured after the Mansfield game.

jagdur.png

Pretty much exactly the same as the match before! The performance wasn't brilliant but our two strikers saved us with some great link up play.

Player of the month

Name: Sergiu Bus
Value: £6.75m

Games: 7
Goals: 6
Assists: 3
MOM's: 2

20gz4ty.png

fvifdg.png

Last edited: