TomT-B1995

Reaction score
I am playing as Sheffield Wednesday in my first season and we are all the way down in 16th when we were expecting 3rd. Can anyone offer any good tactics for my side.

when at home play attacking football, when away play counter-attacking football.

i commented on another sheffield wednesday help thread there should be something helpful in my post there which is here > http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f109/tactics-for-sheffield-wednesday-t50959.html

basicly keep it simple like 4-4-2 is fine,i came 2nd just piped to the post by peterborough :mad: plz dont do what casualswfcs6 says it doesent work,i found attacking didnt work nether did counter,you will just concede lots of goals otherwise using these styles.
play 4-4-2 standard at home and away with work ball into box until you score then change to control and if your only a goal up near the final whistle use keep possesion and short passing,if your not getting much possesion at home with standard to start with then change to control,alternate between them.
remember keep it simple,i would if i was you look at my post in the link and maybe start again,get the loan playas i suggested and the frees also,good luck!

btw: i was wining games 5-0 4-0's often

Last edited:
I have not been able to bring anyone in at the moment though i do have Calum Davenport coming in January.

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Who do you think i might be able to bring in in January? I think i might need another striker and defender.

Get some players sold - some of them can be sold for decent money (Beevers, Potter, Spurr) and replaced on the cheap with players who will do just as well.

Unfortunately, the best time to do this is pre-season in the first year as there are some quality free transfers - Jay Demerit, Izzy Ireikpen, a RB called Yakubu (forget his first name!) and some great players to loan - Daniel Pacheco (Liverpool) Jordan Spence (West Ham) Jose Baxter (starts at everton, but dont be surprised to see him move) to name but a few.

Forward and midfield wise I dont think the squad is too bad - but the defence isnt the best (Purse and Hinds nowhere near good enough) so that is for me the best place to strengthen.

If you have a Transfer budget - try and get Leigh Griffiths from Dundee. He is a must for top League One all the way through to a lower Prem side!

What team instructions would you give the team?

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

Forgot to mention i have brought in Claus Jorgensen on a free.

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 10:54 PM ----------

Can you post a screenshot of your team and tactics just to see how they work?

i commented on another sheffield wednesday help thread there should be something helpful in my post there which is here > http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f109/tactics-for-sheffield-wednesday-t50959.html

basicly keep it simple like 4-4-2 is fine,i came 2nd just piped to the post by peterborough :mad: plz dont do what casualswfcs6 says it doesent work,i found attacking didnt work nether did counter,you will just concede lots of goals otherwise using these styles.
play 4-4-2 standard at home and away with work ball into box until you score then change to control and if your only a goal up near the final whistle use keep possesion and short passing,if your not getting much possesion at home with standard to start with then change to control,alternate between them.
remember keep it simple,i would if i was you look at my post in the link and maybe start again,get the loan playas i suggested and the frees also,good luck!

I used all the the tips from the other post and came 3rd then won the playoff it's really helpful. Thanks

you mean it dont work FOR YOU. you came 2nd with ur tactics anyway. i won the league with my approach. so dont just poo poo it like you know everything.

451 formation for home and away.

set up the midfield with 2 center midfielders and a defensive mid. then 2 high attacking wingers (see these more as strikers who will cut into the box)

like i said before attacking football with passing to feet at home and away play defensive with counter attack and passing to feet also. this is what worked for me and i won the league and the paint cup in my 1st season.

Last edited:
Very true... that said im using 4-4-2 and the odd 4-5-1 going ok so far top by 2 points but peterborugh are emense half way throug the season and they are undefeated!

But I agree need to sort the defense out first

I managed to bring in Daniel Pacheco on loan as was sugested and he has scored more goals than morrison despite playing only a quater of the games that morrison has.

i got sheffield wednesday promoted first season thanks to playoffs :p i signed leigh griffiths from dundee for 250k over 48 months and now im in the prem and he just constantly scores :D