Shorey completes Aston Villa move

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Aston Villa complete the signing of Reading full-back Nicky Shorey and are in talks with Middlesbrough defender Luke Young.

More...

Don't understand why The Nose is letting Young go. Ridiculous, was one of our most consistent players last year and we only have Mr Injury himself, Tony McMahon as cover. Although Southgate has said he will get someone, who is available?

Hope he surprises me with someone fantastic.

prob re-sign Abel Xavier, hes been released by LA

Southgate is letting everyone go hmm i tip Boro for a religation fight

we apparently got more than 6m for him , considering we paid 2.5m one year ago and hes 29 with 2 years left on his contract i dont think its a bad deal IFFFFF we replace him and use some funds to strengthen other areas, he was consistent and good but not irreplaceable

I heard 4-5.

Still a profit but i can't think of a RB available, who will be as consistenly good as Young was last year. Hopefully use some of the funds to sign a GK, gazette reckons he will.

na gate has said countless times we arent signing a keeper and i unfortunatley believe him

True.

Anyway it is confirmed:

0,,10265~3742667,00.jpg

Bizarre sale of Young by Boro, unless like you both said someone decent is brought in.

Both good signings for Villa

Said on SSN this morning Boro are after Justin Hoyte for £2.5m and Moritz Volz.

15,000 Voltz ftw!!

Nah i wouldn't be particularly happy with either.

Gibson has defended the sale:

"The fans need to know that we will only do what's right for the football club in the short term, medium term and the long term," he told the club's official website.

"Selling a 29-year-old full-back for £6million a year after we bought him for £2.5million, and doing so in the knowledge that we will replace him, is right for the football club in the short term, medium term and the long term.

"We're already busy working on bringing in a replacement."

O and;

Aston Villa will pay an initial £5.5m fee for the right-back plus a further £250,000 after 30 appearances and another £250,000 after 60 games.

Although i dont think we will get that second 250k.

Last edited:
Didnt Arsenal turn down 4.5m from Villa earlier in the summer for Hoyte