Short/ Direct Passing Style, Slow/Fast tempo?

Desmond91

Reaction score
I would like to create a tactic that has the following characteristics:

- ball possession
- Slow tempo and easy passes until spaces are opening, once open, fast tempo and fast passes to score!

What kind of "tempo" and should I put then?

I tried to set "slow tempo" .. possession ball is ok... but failed to make decisive passes....

Instead, if I put the " fast tempo", the percentage of ball possession drops a bit but the game is faster and make decisive passes ..

so I think to keep "fasto tempo" .. but as regards the passes instead?

I set "short pass" to every single player but.. what happens if I put "direct passes"?

Try to keep short passing in defense and let the attack players get more direct passes. Still keep it slow tempo. Also let the players to do more forward runs and more trough balls. You can also give more creativity to the attacking players.

Though it's not very easy to make a high possesion tactic that create alot of chances. If the player make direct passes he will play the ball more forward. That will create more chances, but you might will loose the ball more, and the possesion drops.

play a short passing slow temp on counter with fast players making lots of runs and running with ball

Start with a slow tempo short passing game. Set your creative players to have through balls often. This will make them play plenty of peircing through balls.

Then pull their mentality back to a more defensive spot. They will play deeper and will also be less likely to play through balls when the option is not a surefire chance.

Finally give them plenty of freedom to create, this will make them more inclined to play through balls, but will also keep them in a slightly deeper position and will not play through balls at every oppourtunity, but will take some chances.

Then you fine tune the mentality and creative freedom sliders to get them playing at the right depth and take the right number of chances. It can be a long process but the rewards are great.

I'm a proponent of adjusting my settings to my opponent. If I'm playing a weaker opponent that is sitting back and trying to counter then I usually play a slower tempo and reduce my players' mentality. There is no point in playing a bunch of through balls if there are no openings. Another good tactic-I have found-is to play a treq striker against such defenses and increase the forward runs of your supporting players in order to draw their cbs out of position and allow your ams to exploit that space.

If I'm facing a similar quality opponent that is going to press me, then I like to increase the tempo a bit, decrease the forward runs of my central players (but increase their mentality/through balls/creativity) and increase the forward runs of my wingers and striker. This should allow my central players to roam and find space deep (if they have high footballing IQs...which is essential) while the opponents try to clog the middle and leave space on the wings to exploit.