Montanaro

Reaction score
Hey all, was wondering how you instruct your GK to take short goalkicks. My GK is average at these types of kicks, and I often lose possession when he boots it downfield. How can I get him to do an easy kick to a sideback or perhaps a midfielder?

He is set as a Sweeper-Defend.

On his player instructions can you change the length of his passing ?
That would probably do it.

click on PI and put passing to short. and then where it says "distribution" select either defender collect or quick throw. this should work

click on PI and put passing to short. and then where it says "distribution" select either defender collect or quick throw. this should work

Thanks, I figured that's how i should do it.

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 10:58 PM ----------

hmmm, I set him up with no creative freedom, short passing, quick throw, and crosses to mixed (instead of target man)

Yet when I look at analysis screen, he always kicks goal kicks deep.....

Thanks, I figured that's how i should do it.

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 10:58 PM ----------

hmmm, I set him up with no creative freedom, short passing, quick throw, and crosses to mixed (instead of target man)

Yet when I look at analysis screen, he always kicks goal kicks deep.....

Through his PI set to defender collect and distribute to defender who can play the ball forward not passing it back to goalie or withing the defenders, fullback would be good, also ball playing defender if you have one.

I usually set his passing to the lowest and distribution to 'defender collect' to your best fullback. Usually results in very high pass%

I'm focusing on just the goalkicks though not distribution after the keeper has handled the ball.

My problem is when the ball goes behind the goal line for a goal kick/free kick, the keeper punts it down field and I'm lucky to get the ball 50% of the time. I'd rather he kick to a fullback.

I've seen the ai occasionally take these kicks, but I haven't figured out how. I've set it to shortest passing possible, rarely crosses etc... but when I look at his goal kicks, they are all long kicks to the center of the field resulting in turnover of possession.

focus passing set to flanks? Maybe make him an attacking sweeper keeper so he's more inclined to start moves?

focus passing set to flanks? Maybe make him an attacking sweeper keeper so he's more inclined to start moves?

Well he's always going to start the move on a goal kick.

It's just like there is no way to tell him WHERE to kick it to. He can legally play it to the sideback, yet he always chooses to boot it down field despite short passing, no freedom, no crossing, byline crossing, and defender collect to my fullback.

I was playing a bit ago and saw my opponent do just what I've been trying to get my keeper to do. I was like, "hey what a simple and effective way of keeping possession, no more kicking it to mid field and having my 5' 8" striker lose the header" but it appears this is almost impossible to set up.

Okay, are you using wingbacks? I was having this problem when using wingbacks - he would ignore the "Defender Collect" instruction. Otherwise, I don't really know what the problem is, it works for me just fine.

PS - Are you using a high defensive line? Don't really know about this, but maybe he just kicks the **** out of it because his defenders are too far up, and I assume you use a high defensive line since you're using a sweeper keeper.

Okay, are you using wingbacks? I was having this problem when using wingbacks - he would ignore the "Defender Collect" instruction. Otherwise, I don't really know what the problem is, it works for me just fine.

PS - Are you using a high defensive line? Don't really know about this, but maybe he just kicks the **** out of it because his defenders are too far up, and I assume you use a high defensive line since you're using a sweeper keeper.

I'm using a normal line, about 11 clicks, I'm using fullbacks set as wingbacks so they are usually in line with my 2 cbs on goalkicks.

Next game I'll drop my line and see if my keeper can figure out this concept for once.

(fm12 should have more keeper options to cover this and over things)

This might not help too much, but whenever i get the short style passes that I believe you are looking for. I have...

Passing on short (for the whole team)

Strategy on Attacking

Naturally he still boots it up field a little, but that's the match engine, generally he kicks it to my full backs occasionally the sweeper.

I usually set defender collect to my DL and most of the time, even when goal kick, my keeper always pass it to my DL.

Just my thought,maybe your keeper has high kicking attribute?Because if it's high then maybe your keeper will utilise it by doing long goal kicks all the time.

I'm using a normal line, about 11 clicks, I'm using fullbacks set as wingbacks so they are usually in line with my 2 cbs on goalkicks.

Next game I'll drop my line and see if my keeper can figure out this concept for once.

(fm12 should have more keeper options to cover this and over things)

For me it ignored defender collect if distribution was to stopper. Set distribution fullback. Also set passing to short, creative freedom little, crossing rarely and through balls rarely.

I've got it sorted!

You need to set passing to shortest, creative freedom to little, crossing to rarely, set to byline crossing with mixed crossing aim, defender collect to any of your back 4.

He still will kick a couple down the field, but it's rare and I'm not sure if that was off a goalkick or a handled punt.