ellismcfc

Reaction score
FM reckons short passing worlks better with a slow tempo, but I was wondering, would I be able to make a short passing tactic using quick tempo passing, based on moving the ball around quickly, to try and stretch defences a bit more? Quite like Arsenal do, in comparison to how Barcelona do.

FM reckons short passing worlks better with a slow tempo, but I was wondering, would I be able to make a short passing tactic using quick tempo passing, based on moving the ball around quickly, to try and stretch defences a bit more? Quite like Arsenal do, in comparison to how Barcelona do.

The tempo is not how quick you pass the ball once you have it, but how quickly the team is to get the ball forward into an attacking position. Here, using a slow tempo, short passing ( either by the settings ir the shouts " retain possession) BUT lots of t-balls and less dribbling ( like "pass into space and "play through derfence) can very weel be the way to emulate the fooball you are after.

But if wanting to play really wide and stretch the opponent, then you could also play quick, lots of width and more direct BUT with less t-balls. Here, its crucial that runs from deep come from.. well deep, having many players moving between the lines and the more advanced ones dropping deep and holding on to the ball rather than going straight at goal

Last edited:
So say if I wanted to create a tactic like that, for example, a winger would be favoured over an inside forward? An AM over an AP? a DLF over a P? Do you think a 4-2-3-1:

G-D
WB-S CD-D CD-D WB-S
DLP-S BBM-S
W-A AM-A W-A
DLF/TM-A

Like this would work?