bdare

Reaction score
Hi fellow managers

im trying to create a tactic that heavily relies on attacking short quick passes. so far these are the shouts i want to use
View attachment 244893View attachment 244891

would this be ok to create this type of football. i didnt click on retain possession because since it relies of quick passing why would retain possession help? can you guys maybe advice on what other shouts i could use. what roles would you also consider to achieving my goal?

You need to understand that passing as such isn't anyone's goal in football. It is used for a purpose, to make a style of play. At this moment, I think it is because of counter attacking. If you play with more men behind ball, it would serve no purpose to send direct balls ahead, you need to play short because your setup is narrow, and your players are closer to each other from left to right. Counter mentality will instruct forwards keep the ball away from pressure, and make a backpass, so that defenders can clear ball to flanks and start a counter. The backpassess will invite opposition forward, and when that happens, there is space behind them to exploit on the counter. Therefore, you don't want to lose possession, you want to play a lower tempo to keep passess accurate and possibly drive your opponent to insanity by not rushing things. Shorter passing also serves to keep your possession at a decent level, since you wont be closing down more but less. They will chase you all over the pitch, and it resembles piggy in the middle football training. It is used when you expect to get attacked. It would probably fail if opponent refuses to commit forward, and it would look like a cat and mouse game if you insisted on using it against non agressive opponent. You can either go pure counter with a more structured team shape, which will make your wingers stay forward and expect a ball for counter, but not help defence, which would be advisable if you are attacked, or you can play more fluid, which would base the game on pure passing, or if you wish, play through defence style which is advisable if opponent is holding back.

Last edited:
Your formation would fit a very fluid style, with attacking sidebacks and roaming roles, and SKa, and BPDd's. You can use my counter preset, and counter mentality to have play through defence style.

Last edited:
Personally I would remove the Play Narrower shout. Your formation encourages this to be narrow as it is, so I would imagine as long as you use the correct player roles, you don't need to encourage your team to play even narrower, as they would end up getting in each others way which will end up causing you an issue in the long run. Best advice I can give is to try it though and watch as much of the game as possible, especially when the tactic is fluid to your team as you will be able to see if they are playing in your desired way.