torglenn

Reaction score
I need some advice on what to do, second season in my Birmingham save.

When I took control one year ago, I sold captain Stephen Carr, as he was 35 years old and wouldn't get much playing time, but was still fit enough for a couple of years on a lower level. I promoted vice-captain Liam Ridgewell to captain, and all was well. He led my team to promotion to PL.

Preparing for Premier League, I have of course strengthened the squad, and Ridgewell will no longer be my preferred choice on leftback (and definetely not as CB). Coaches report that he's becoming less fit and his stats are declining. Even though he's only 28! (I don't think it's the training schedule, as it works very good for everyone else in same position) Will be a useful backup though.

The dilemma: is it vise to change captain a second year in a row? And promote a player that's only been in the club for a year or less? I know it will probably affect morale in the squad, atleast for a while, and I really don't need that when trying to survive in the Premier League.
But surely better players than him will not be happy with a captain who spends most of the time in the reserves to stay fit?
Any thoughts?

who you thinking of changing too ?? is he better than Liam ?? personally I don't think it will matter if there next person is better for the job, but i wouldn't do halfway thru a season

Keep him as captain. It doesn't really matter if he plays regularly or not. You have a vice captain (and can even appoint a 3rd, 4th, 5th etc choice below the vice captain) to take the role of captain on the pitch. Changing the captain is risky, it's better to wait until he retires/you sell him.

Thanks for replying. Guess I'll stick with him, even tho' he won't be playing much. I have appointed up 6th captain, so there will always be a leader on the pitch.
My only worry is something I have experienced on other saves (in earlier versions of FM): If a captain doesn't play many games, some of the other players have problems with motivation under his leadership, the few times he actually is on the pitch.
I will just have to wait and see...